Gatwick Aviation Museum

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Gatwick Aviation Museum

Post by tommercer »

Seeing as the weather was meant to be really nice today, I decided to head down to the aviation museum outside of Gatwick. I'd not been before and haven't really seen any work on here from there, so I thought I'd go see what was going on. The museum itself was very interesting and the volunteers were more than happy to chat, sadly however, the aircraft are in much need of some TLC.

The sun didn't come out until after I'd left but I was quite glad really - the dull, grey sky was more than appropriate!

I really hope that these are of some interest to you all

Hunter by thetommercer, on Flickr
Shackleton by thetommercer, on Flickr
British Airways by thetommercer, on Flickr
Gannet by thetommercer, on Flickr
Buccaneer by thetommercer, on Flickr
Pembroke by thetommercer, on Flickr
Harrier by thetommercer, on Flickr
Victor by thetommercer, on Flickr

The full set can be found here http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEBEig6 and here https://www.facebook.com/tommercerphotography

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by tommercer on Sun 07 Apr 2013, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

RRconway

Re: Gatwick Aviation Museum - A British Aviation Graveyard

Post by RRconway »

A fantastic set Tom. Really glad to see you still using the close up technique that you used to use a lot.
It gives- great new aspect ot the photography and inspired me to do the same.

The Gannet picture is great, may have to go down there myself, I wasn't even aware of its existence!!!! (the museum not the Gannet!!!!)

Cheers,
Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

shaggie

Post by shaggie »

Not normally my sort of thing but ireally liked this set and the subject ,well done

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Cracking set Tom, really like the Pembroke and Gannet shots.

ciaranchef

Post by ciaranchef »

I like these a lot, difficult sometimes to make these close ups look good but well done, nice set, Ciaran
"It is generally inadvisable to eject over the area you just bombed"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaranchef/

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Interesting photos, but sadly you do their cause no favours with the last part of the thread title.

They have been fighting a long running planning battle and with a title like that local groups who have constantly opposed their mere existence might have a field day. Their founder only recently passed away and their new set-up is slowly coming on line.

Here’s a link to their website http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

I would just like to say thank you for the positive feedback as it's much appreciated.

NAM Updater wrote:Interesting photos, but sadly you do their cause no favours with the last part of the thread title.

They have been fighting a long running planning battle and with a title like that local groups who have constantly opposed their mere existence might have a field day. Their founder only recently passed away and their new set-up is slowly coming on line.

Here’s a link to their website http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/

I didn't mean for the title of the thread to be taken in such a negative way - the museum itself is brilliant and is a great place to spend a few hours but you can't just ignore the state that the aircraft are in. Unfortunately the majority of the collection are British aircraft so I just thought that it was a fitting description. I can see where you are coming from though so will edit the title.

For the rest of you, here are a few more from yesterday

Pembroke by thetommercer, on Flickr
Gannet by thetommercer, on Flickr
Meteor by thetommercer, on Flickr

NAM Updater

Re: Gatwick Aviation Museum

Post by NAM Updater »

Thank you for making that change Tom I know that the people down there will appreciate that. :clap:

Their planning battles have been horrendous and any support that can be given is appreciated – plus stopping others getting any ammunition is just as important. They have some great plans in place to get a lot of the aircraft under cover, yet hopefully they will still be able to do some of the ground runs as well. :up:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

pmills575

Post by pmills575 »

As one of the engineering volunteers at Gatwick Aviation Museum I would like to take the opportunity to reply to this post.

Thank you NAM updater (HH I presume?) for taking the time and effort to explain some of the issues that we have faced, much appreciated.

Anyone who has the task of looking after airframes kept outside will know the problems that come with that territory.
The weather not just this winter, but for nearly twelve months has made it very difficult to progress any external cosmetic appearance work. We have also undertaken a major effort on corrosion treatment which can leave some aircraft looking a bit tatty whilst they wait for the primer and undercoats to be coverd with top coat.

For most of this year since the owner Peter Vallance died on the 14th of January, we have had to concentrate all of our efforts on restructuring the site and exhibits to comply with a raft of legal requirements. We have not even looked at the airframes until about a week ago. Now that our retructuring is almost complete we will start on the airframes.

It's a shame you didn't stay a little longer to see the worlds only S.1 Buccaneer run both of her Gyron Juniors jets late in the afternoon!

We are fully aware of what we need to do to improve the aircrafts appearence. Do NOT make the common mistake of believing that just becuase the paint work isn't pristine it means that the airframe is not given attention.

If we can implement the plans we have for the next twelve months we should be able to improve the appearence,(most phtographers seem to like the "character" look anyway!) and add to our list of functioning, running aircraft. We are expecting to run engines on Saturdays on a regular basis, which ones and what days is really down to opportunity and staffing levels.

It's a pity you didn't put your viewpoint to the museum members you would have been given a full and frank answer to your queries.

Thank you for changing the title anyway, we appreciate it.

Peter Mills
Gatwick Aviation Museum

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

I feel that my original post has been taken way out of context and re-reading what I wrote, I can see why.

I was not having a go at the museum itself - I had a fantastic couple of hours down there and had I been on my own, would probably have stayed an awful lot longer. The only reason I left early afternoon was because my dad was getting cold.

I was extremely impressed with the range of aircraft on site and as you have said, the paintwork did make for some exceptional shots. It's like with any aviation museum - you see what's on show and you realise just how much this country has lost when you consider that at one point, it really was the world leader in aerospace. As a collection, you've probably got one of the best for a museum of your size that I've seen.

Please don't take anything that I've said personally, I had a fantastic time and I wish you all the best.

Knowing that I missed engine runs is even more frustrating and needless to say, I will definitely be making another visit when the sun comes out to play! I have no doubt that with all the plans you have and with a fresh lick of paint, these aircraft will look in top condition very soon.

Next time I visit, I'll be sure to stay for a chat!

I apologise for any offence that I may have caused

pmills575

Post by pmills575 »

Tom,
I wish to say that my response may have come across as a little "terse", I can only apologise for my tone.

When you've spend the past three months in the cold, snow and generally miseable weather working hard to make the area fit to open we naturally get a little bit defensive at what is perceived as undue criticism!

I am sure that over the coming weeks and months you will see steady improvement in our airframes and exhibits.
Please do come again, you are, along with everone else who visits us, very welcome. We do listen to what our visitors say and try to implement ideas, depending on practiibility and resources. As with most museums, especially one like ours which keeps and make airframes live, there is a trade off on where you use the resources. We have in the past concentrated on the real engineering work, i.e. getting things working. Now we try to split the work between progressing the appearance and getting the running equipment going. This is more than somewhat determined by the weather.

Nice pictures by the way! Inspired by a certain Gavin perhaps?

Best wishes
Peter Mills
Gatwick Aviation Museum
Chief Volunteer

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

Thank you but no they're my own ideas. Not sure who Gavin is?

When it gets a little warmer I will definitely be back!

jag636

Post by jag636 »

Heres one for you Tom, why not become a member of the Gatwick museum, or if its to far join one near you. That could be just what the doctor ordered and not only that you will be able to make new friends and work on airframes like many others and myself. I have the pleasure of working with like minded people and when I had the great honour of being asked to become a trustee of Newark air museum I had no hesitation in taking it on. And now after 11 plus years working with other trustees such as NAM updater who without a doubt makes newark worth going to alone as he knows what it takes and is such a good driver of many things at NAM along with the other trustees, it makes it worth doing when you see the smiles of peoples faces and the spark you light in a childs life. All that makes worth while and coupled with the small chance to work on many types of airframes, go on enjoy a new world. :clap: :joystick: :worship:
Member of Newark air museum and trustee/acquisitions officer just trying to save what we all love and thats history

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

All,

I'm sorry, but I really must standup in defence of Tom.
First of all it was pointed out to Tom that the title of the thread was maybe inappropriate. Tom has agreed with and changed the title suitably.
Second of all, and I'm surprised Tom hasn't mentioned this himself, (probably modesty) but he has already been involved with the upkeep of historical aircraft which are kept in similar circumstances. He has organised successfully several nightshoots for F.A.S.T at Farnborough, whilst studying for his own further education. The proceeds of which went to the Museum.

I am not saying he shouldn't have been pulled up on the wording of his title, but he has acknowledged his mistake and corrected it.
Can we not just let it go now?

Ok rant over :smile:
I will be visiting soon hopefully, before this post I didn't even know this place existed.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Cheers,
Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Tom, second photographic set just as fine as the first :clap:

Cheers,
Jeff.

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

RRconway wrote:All,

I'm sorry, but I really must standup in defence of Tom.
First of all it was pointed out to Tom that the title of the thread was maybe inappropriate. Tom has agreed with and changed the title suitably.
Second of all, and I'm surprised Tom hasn't mentioned this himself, (probably modesty) but he has already been involved with the upkeep of historical aircraft which are kept in similar circumstances. He has organised successfully several nightshoots for F.A.S.T at Farnborough, whilst studying for his own further education. The proceeds of which went to the Museum.

I am not saying he shouldn't have been pulled up on the wording of his title, but he has acknowledged his mistake and corrected it.
Can we not just let it go now?

Ok rant over :smile:
I will be visiting soon hopefully, before this post I didn't even know this place existed.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Cheers,
Jeff.

:smile: Thanks Jeff!

As I said previously, I'm sorry if I offended anyone - it certainly wasn't intentional. I will be writing a feature on my blog in the next week or so regarding the museum, so I hope that I can help promote it a little more.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

I feel offended, naughty Tom... :biggrin:

Great set !

jag636

Post by jag636 »

I stand corrected Tom and comend the fact that you are involved at the wonderful F.A.S.T a museum I am wanting visit sometime in the future, anyway you pictures are super and you have ignited a lot of thought and passion, well done, :clap: :clap: :clap:
Member of Newark air museum and trustee/acquisitions officer just trying to save what we all love and thats history

jaguarjay

Post by jaguarjay »

Just read the post and am sorry to hear Peter passed away. He very kindly 'opened up' for us a couple of years ago and he was such a lovely man with a real passion and amazing knowledge of everything had on display outside and in the many huts on site. Wishing you all the very best at the Museum and hope that the weather becomes dry and bright for all the great work you do down there.
Jason Baxter
RAF Coltishall

Yupiteru MVT-7000
Canon EOS400D
Sigma 300mm!