HMS Illustrious visits Greenwich.

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
King Cobra

HMS Illustrious visits Greenwich.

Post by King Cobra »

Got there early this morning and just as well as by the time the first launch departed for "Lusty" the queue was several hundreds of people long. Super light for photography.

1. "Lusty"
Illustrious-1 by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

2. "Lusty"
Illustrious-2 by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

3. Merlin
Merlin by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

4. Sea King
SeaKing by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

5. Lynx
Lynx by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

FGR2

Re: HMS Illustrious visits Greenwich.

Post by FGR2 »

Very nice. I had thought about getting up early and going to this but decided to go to Stow Maries show instead. Not one of my best decisions. :(

Wish I had gone to Greenwich now. Thanks for posting. :clap:

Heavy Metal

Post by Heavy Metal »

King Cobra wrote:Got there early this morning and just as well as by the time the first launch departed for "Lusty" the queue was several hundreds of people long.

I went yesterday and it was the same then.
The queue to get of the ship was also legendary.
So did you then manage to get to the city to see HMS Edingburgh, the last type 42 about to pay-off, before she departed her mooring today from next to HMS Belfast? She also looked really good yesterday.
HMS Blyth was moored just the other side of Tower Bridge next to St Catherines dock.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Heavy Metal wrote:
King Cobra wrote:Got there early this morning and just as well as by the time the first launch departed for "Lusty" the queue was several hundreds of people long.

I went yesterday and it was the same then.
The queue to get of the ship was also legendary.
So did you then manage to get to the city to see HMS Edingburgh, the last type 42 about to pay-off, before she departed her mooring today from next to HMS Belfast? She also looked really good yesterday.
HMS Blyth was moored just the other side of Tower Bridge next to St Catherines dock.

Timed my escape quite well as I didn't have to queue too long. Did manage some shots of HMS Edinburgh and HMS Blyth as well.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

I went today too, joined the queue at about 9:00 (for a 10:30 opening time), finally got onboard at about 11:30 I think

typhoondaz

Post by typhoondaz »

Cool, but shame there where no Harriers on-board. Damn the Cuts.... :sad:

Darren.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

grant_w wrote:I went today too, joined the queue at about 9:00 (for a 10:30 opening time), finally got onboard at about 11:30 I think

Couldn't have been that far apart in the queue. Did you get on the first ferry from Greenwich Pier?

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

King Cobra wrote:
grant_w wrote:I went today too, joined the queue at about 9:00 (for a 10:30 opening time), finally got onboard at about 11:30 I think

Couldn't have been that far apart in the queue. Did you get on the first ferry from Greenwich Pier?

Not even close to it, when we got there at about 9:00 we were way back in the queue, looped round past the Marines guns 'stall' up and down 3 times in the queue. They seemed to open at 10 and we started moving fairly quickly, got to the bag check area at about 11, then waited in there for about 30 minutes for a ferry.

What time did you join the queue to be on the first ferry?

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Is there a Lynx aboard Edinburgh? Just I'm thinking about going see her at Leith and wondered if seeing the Lynx was a possibility.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Unknown74 wrote:Is there a Lynx aboard Edinburgh? Just I'm thinking about going see her at Leith and wondered if seeing the Lynx was a possibility.

Yes but couldn't read off the serial. I'll post the pic in a bit but if anyone can help i/d the Lynx that would be most welcome.

Edit : The broadside shot I took of her around 13:30 shows a Lynx clearly visible of the after deck but shots I took later looking from the stern between 14:00 and 15:00 show that the Lynx had moved. In one the hangar door is being closed and I think it's inside.