Kennedy Space Centre Air Show

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
patrouille2001

Kennedy Space Centre Air Show

Post by patrouille2001 »

Hi Everyone
I am planning on attending next October the Airshow at Kennedy Space Center. I am looking at staying in Orlando and gather it is 40 Miles away. I would be grateful for any information on how to get there, is it better to hire a car or has anyone visited the airshow.

Any help would be greatly apreciated

A very merry Christmas and a fantastic 2009 to everyone on the forum

Paul :smile:

FATBOYJARV

Re: Kennedy Space Centre Air Show

Post by FATBOYJARV »

Hi there its not a bad drive. I would say it takes about an hour to drive out to NASA. I would hire a car as you can come and go as you wish, and not stuck to any times as with a coach. Also have you got any links to the airshow there.

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Hi
The date for next years air show is 17-18 October. Why I am interested in attending is my first time to see the Snowbirds. Last year had the Blue Angels as well as F104 Starfighter, Super Hornet. as well as visiting Nasa and going on a guided tour round Kennedy.

Many thanks and I will take your sugestion of hiring a car

Thanks

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Kennedy Space Center is a great day out, but I can't see how you'll have time to do the full tour and watch the flying display in one day. Last time I was there I didn't see everything, and that was on a quiet day without an airshow to distract me.

With a car, its simple to get to the Cape from Orlando, just head East. Hiring a car will make your whole holiday far simpler, you will spend countless valuable hours sitting on buses otherwise.

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Hi There
Many thanks for the reply. My plan is to go out there for 9 days, do two days at museum, do the museum at Titusville which is near Kennedy, both days at the airshow and the rest of the time sightseeing at Disneyland, etc

Any other help would be apreciated, Many Thanks

raiford

Post by raiford »

is there a Shuttle launch planned for October? would'nt that be the icing on the cake! :rock: :topbombing: :shock:

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

I visited Kennedy in 2007 and if you're even SLIGHTLY interested in space exploration you really need 3 days to get a good chunk of it done. The tours are superb and well worth the extra money.

My only complaint about the airshow is you're looking into the sun the whole time - that almost spoilt it for me, but I guess as long as you're prepared and remember to bring your shades you'll enjoy it. :cool:

- Alex

Anson

Post by Anson »

if your doing a package holiday go for a small bog standard hire car then upgrade when you get there these guys on the desk work on commission and there are usually some good deals,also try and avoid kissimee and stay in international drive , quality inn plaza is a good mid range hotel good facilities and handy for everything,oh yes, cracker barrel restaurant for breakfast and tony romas for ribs and outback steakhouse for steaks, basically as previous head East and you can't miss Kennedy would also reccomend fantasy of flight at polk city.you would'nt guess i had been 4 times...................... . :cool:
25 Group Royal Observer Corps

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Hi Everybody
Thank you all for all your help. I will be out there just over a week and lloking forward to this Air Show and all the Museums I will be booking with Expedia and does anyone know if the cars are manual or automatic.

Once Again Many Thanks

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

American cars are auto Paul, almost without exception.

You might find a week rather frustrating, there is so much to see in the area, unless your trip is purely for avaition realted sightseeing.

ursa_major

Post by ursa_major »

patrouille2001 wrote: I would be grateful for any information on how to get there, is it better to hire a car

Paul, hire a car, it's the only realistic way of getting there. From Orlando, head along the 528 (Beeline/BeachLine expressway) towards Cocoa / Titusville. There are 3 (IIRC) tollbooths along the 528, with the furthest from Orlando being near the airport (MCO). Once you're through the last tollbooth, the speedlimit goes up to 70mph, so it's a nice drive, if a bit dull. From the 528, you need to take SR407 towards Titusville - the sliproad is on the LEFT side of the dual carriageway, not the right! This almost caught me out the first time. The 407 is a normal road, not a dual-carriageway, and has frequent roadside & helicopter speed patrols. Keep on the 407 over I-95, and a couple of miles along, you'll come to a junction with traffic lights. Titusville is to the left, but you need to turn right and go along past the end of the TiCo runway. From this junction, it's well signposted to KSC.I think it's about 10 miles further to KSC from here, most of which is along the causeway.

HTH

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Unfortunately looks as though this one has been cancelled. :sad: