Cleethorpes 2013

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
paulmblythe

Re: Cleethorpes 2013

Post by paulmblythe »

Me too they seem very poor at updating and giving out info. Last year they didn'nt post what was flying and the time it stated till the day before. The grimsby evening telegraph had an article about it the other week and they got the date wrong all very confusing.

Roco wrote:I thought details were been released on 24 May? It says this on the website but there is no actual details on the website and I have received nothing via the newsletter.

It makes them look incompetent.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

The show organisers have booked a stall at this event on 15 & 16 June - I'll see what I can find out! :cuppa:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Provisional flying display has been organised, however they are saying that they are hoping for more aircraft to be added

Saturday 27th July 2013

Red Devils Freefall Parachute Display Team
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) – Spitfire and Hurricane
B-17 Flying Fortress – the ‘Sally B’
Gyrocopter
Historic Aircraft Collection- Hawker Hurricane
Historic Aircraft Collection - Hawker Nimrod
The Red Hawks (Fournier RF-4D)
The Vulcan
Hawker Hunter
Gnat Display Duo

Sunday 28th July 2013

The Red Arrows
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) - Spitfire and Hurricane with Avro Lancaster
B-17G Flying Fortress – the ‘Sally B’
Gyrocopter
RAF Typhoon
The Red Hawks Duo (Fournier RF-4D)
RAF Tucano
Gnat Display Duo
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Roco

Post by Roco »

Ledheadpilot27 wrote:Provisional flying display has been organised, however they are saying that they are hoping for more aircraft to be added

Saturday 27th July 2013

Gyrocopter
The Vulcan
Hawker Hunter
Gnat Display Duo

Sunday 28th July 2013

The Red Arrows
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) - Spitfire and Hurricane with Avro Lancaster
Gyrocopter
RAF Typhoon
RAF Tucano
Gnat Display Duo

Thanks for this. Where did you find the info? There is still nothing on the website.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Roco wrote:
Ledheadpilot27 wrote:Provisional flying display has been organised, however they are saying that they are hoping for more aircraft to be added

Saturday 27th July 2013

Gyrocopter
The Vulcan
Hawker Hunter
Gnat Display Duo

Sunday 28th July 2013

The Red Arrows
Gyrocopter
RAF Typhoon
RAF Tucano
Gnat Display Duo

Thanks for this. Where did you find the info? There is still nothing on the website.

I managed to find this on their Facebook page, like they said they hope to add more to the line-up! The website has been barely updated, if at all.

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

Cleethorpes is now an international air show! Great work by the team, but will it be able to use flares?

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Roco

Post by Roco »

NAM Updater wrote:The show organisers have booked a stall at this event on 15 & 16 June - I'll see what I can find out! :cuppa:

Did you manage to find out why they appear incapable or updating their own website with any kind of details and continue to ignore all enquiries emailed to them?

I understand that details are on Facebook but not everyone uses this.

paulmblythe

Post by paulmblythe »

there are some details on the website now on the pulldown menu at the top. Took me a while to find them! Nothing on the Belgian A109 though.
start time is advertised as 11:30.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

Apparently the B17 is a Superfortress...does that mean Fifi is coming across the pond! :grin:

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

paulmblythe

Post by paulmblythe »

Ledheadpilot27 wrote:Apparently the B17 is a Superfortress...does that mean Fifi is coming across the pond! :grin:

lol. I saw that. A B29 now that would be something!

I do get this impression the organisation is amateurish but at least they seem to have listened to some of the comments from last year and are giving us a bit more info. Hopefully the weather will be good looks a good show.

Does anyone know if they have made any changes to the line of trade stands. It was a real squezze last year.

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Paul,

There will be changes this year to the display line and crowd areas in order to deal with this. Last year we had over twice as many people as expected so it hit us by surprise.

With regard to the website, the events of last year were unfortunate but I would ask you all to remember most people working on this are doing so in addition to their day jobs and family life. Last year one key person was transferred offshore with a couple of days to go. A full time webmaster would be great, but so would more budget for the display, there is a juggling job between all the pressures.

This year's show will be good. There will be changes before we get to the date but we have the Vulcan and the Red Arrows confirmed.

And it is not just local papers that make mistakes. I have had them edited into a book wot I wrote. The mistakes look like they were all mine yet I had no control. Just like the show and the local papers!

If we do get a B29, rest assured I will tell you!

Melvyn

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Hi Melvyn

Looking like a good show - will be going for the first time!

Can you confirm the Belgian A109 will be displaying at cleethorpes? will you be allowing it to use flares?

Also on your website it has the Army Red Devils twice on the saturday, but not on sunday is this a typo?

also will there be 'official' airshow car parks ( and will they be sign-posted ) or will we be directed to council ones and do you know the cost for parking for a day?

Many thanks

Good luck

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Cannot confirm the A109. This is the first I have heard about it! I am getting a full list later today and will post that up but it is subject to change, as one would expect.

Car parking is another question that has been asked and the answer will be with me later.

There SHOULD be a park and ride and that would be recommended as the front gets very busy. There will also be a road closure this year so watch this space.

Melvyn Hiscock

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

please see below link to Belgian Air Force participation dates for the A109 display.

Will look good over the sea!

http://www.mil.be/aircomp/subject/index ... nl&ID=1478

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

I agree, it would look great but as far as I know it is not booked. I will confirm asap. Mind you, the commentator is often last to know! As of this morning, when I spoke to the Flying Display Director, it was not on the list. However, as I mentioned before, things may change.

Talking of being last to know, one year at Jersey the show was cancelled and then reinstated with just a few minutes to go. Most crews had been stood down and had to be recalled. My lrunning order at the start of the show was two lines written on a PostIt note.

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Hello all,

A little later than promised, but here are some more details. Firstly I can confirm the Belgian A109 has NOT been booked, quite where this information came from is neither here nor there but the FDD confirmed that no talks have taken place with them.

Also, due to Bob Grimstead being out of action temporarily, the Red Hawks will not be displaying and there is a replacement act being sought but it is not finalised yet and we hope to have more details soon.

However, Saturday's show will open and close with the Army Freefall Team, the Red Devils. The Vulcan is confirmed for Saturday and the BBMF fighters will be there on Saturday also.

On Sunday the show will be opened by RAFAT, the Red Arrows and will also feature displays by the Tucano and the mighty Typhoon. Sunday will also have the Lancaster and fighters of the BBMF.

Appearing both days are the Historic Aircraft Company Hurricane and Nimrod (NOT the Spitfire as seen on the website), Sally B will also be appearing both days along with the Calidus Autogyro and the Gnat Display Team.

One item that is important, if you are thinking of going, is that there is no park and ride this year but the council are assuring us that adequate car parking is available. One point to remember is the railway line to Cleethorpes, that was closed until two days ago, is now open again and trains run almost to the display centre, so please think about coming by train.

A photographic competition is being talked about and we have arranged some great transport for the pilots, to and from North Coats, in various vintage cars including two of the three Alvis owned by Douglas Bader. These will be on display at the sea front as they were last year.

As soon as I hear anything more I will update.

Melvyn Hiscock
Oh, and I might do some busking......

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Dear Melvyn

Thank you for the update. No Red Devils on Sunday?

Disappointing about the Belgian A109 display. Would have made it the Cleethorpes International Airshow.
Also strange how the Belgian Air Force have allocated one of their 3 solo displays to a show if they were never asked? Would definitely be better than the Autogyro display if the organisers only want one 'helicopter' display.

Have the organisers subsequently tried contacting the Belgian Air Force? Especially in the light of the cancellation of the Red Hawks?

Other replacements for the Red Hawks that would be nice to see at Cleethorpes would be: the Matadors - xtreme Air x 2 (displaying at Sunderland the same weekend), Red Star Rebels L29 x 4, wildcat aerobatics - Pitts x 2 + edge x 1.

Thanks

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Hi Bossman,

The Red Devils are on Saturday and we are talking to another freefall team for Sunday, this will be announced as soon as we know, as will the replacement for the Red Hawks.

It is a shame about the A109 but it is not possible this year to get it there. I do agree it would have been a great item but not for this year. It certainly will not replace the Gyrocopter as he was a great help to us last year, put on a great little display and deserves a rebooking for his efforts last year.

Talks with a replacement for the Red Hawks are underway and I will announce as soon as it is firm. The L39s would be nice but that would hammer the budget past submission. Of course, if a sponsor came forward perhaps we could. All of your suggestions would get discussed as we do value feedback.

Melvyn Hiscock

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Just to let you all know that the Vulcan will now be appearing at Cleethorpes on Sunday instead of Saturday.

The Red Hawks have cancelled and are replaced by two acts that are relative newcomers. The Chipmunk of John Higgins and the Pitts of Lauren Richardson. There will also be a Hunter on Saturday as well as the Gnat Duo. Freefall is from the Red Devils on Saturday (to both open and close the show) and on Sunday the show will be closed by Ravens 4 free fall team.

A full list will be put up as soon as the ink is dry on the latest revision.

paulmblythe

Post by paulmblythe »

The website and facebook have a timetable of flight times on now. Does anyone know if sally b is flying sunday as it is down on the sally b website as both days but saturday only on the airshow sites

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

As far as I am aware (and I am only the commentator!) Sally B is down for both days.

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

OK folks,

Straight from the desk of the FDD

Saturday

1130 Red Devils
1200 Hurricane XII
1230 Gyrocopter
1430 BBMF Fighters
1500 Nimrod
1515 Pitts S1S
1530 B17 Sally B
1600 Hawker Hunter
1630 Gnat Duo
1700 Chipmunk
1730 Red Devils

Sunday

1000 Red Ten Arrives

1130 The Red Arrows
1200 Nimrod
1230 The Gnat Duo
1245 Gyrocopter
1400 Vulcan
1430 BBMF Lancaster/Spitfire/Hurricane
1500 HAC Hurricane XII
1600 Typhoon
1630 B17 Sally B
1700 The Ravens, 4 x Parachutes

Roco

Post by Roco »

Car parking at the boating lake a a bit of a trek for those not able to walk far. I should imagine that it would be too busy to use a scooter so the park and ride would be essential.

Does anyone know how much the car parking will cost? And is there any closer disabled parking?

paulmblythe

Post by paulmblythe »

Thanks for updating the list Melvin. The one you have posted is different to the one on the website & on the telegraph website which misses off a couple of aircraft from sunday.