50th Anniversary of the Red Arrows... ?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Adie1980

50th Anniversary of the Red Arrows... ?

Post by Adie1980 »

Okay, so just looking ahead to RIAT 2014 and wanted to pick your collective brains.

Whilst this topic has the potential to sound negative, I just wanted to pose the question about HOW the 50th anniversary of the Red Arrows can be a feasible theme for next year's Air Tattoo?

I mean, I've racked my brain but I can't think of what they can ACTUALLY do to celebrate the Red Arrows?
Okay, so they will display (obviously) on each day, and they might have 2 or 3 new "anniversary" manouvers etc. but what else?

- Flypast with other aircraft (already done this year)
- Fly more than one display each day? (pointless)
- Formation flypast of Gnats (Yellowjacks or in reds)? (Not sure about how many are still airworthy and only 2 or 3 together would be lost on the display line IMO and a bit pathetic)
- Same as above re Jet Provost (Red Pelicans) or Hawker Hunters (Black arrows)

All I can realistically see is a large portion of the static area taken up with new 50th Anniversary Red Arrows merchandise on sale!

So, is this another pointless "theme" to sell a few more tickets on an empty promise that something different to normal is going to happen at RIAT 2014??

Discuss.........

G-CVIX

Re: 50th Anniversary of the Red Arrows... ?

Post by G-CVIX »

Best way to celebrate would be a collection of other display teams imo. Some rarer ones if possible. Blue angels, Russian knights, black eagles, plus pdf and frecce and id be more than happy. One can dream I guess...

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

G-CVIX wrote:Best way to celebrate would be a collection of other display teams imo. Some rarer ones if possible. Blue angels, Russian knights, black eagles, plus pdf and frecce and id be more than happy. One can dream I guess...

I would love to see all of those, but i'm not sure how watching 5 other teams celebrates 50 years of our own display team? An interesting suggestion though!

I'm just a bit suspicious of RIAT "themes", still don't really understand this year's "Sky Guardian" theme!?
Okay, so "Sky Guardian" aircraft are Military aircraft defending airspace, recon/radar equipped aircraft, emergency service and land/sea rescue aircraft.....
..... so that's about 85% of all the aircraft that attended RIAT :whistle: ..... so basically this year's theme was...... all of the planes??? :dunno:

fiesty fox

Post by fiesty fox »

Hi
They did a show at Scampton for the 25th anniversary featuring many of the other teams from Europe ie France, Italy, Swiss, and Spain plus others and if I remember correctly it was a mid week in October. Must have the programme somewhere, will have to dig it out.
So maybe could do one for the 50th.
Cheers
Jeff P.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Would be great to have 1 aircraft from each team that can make it in the static, as you never actually get to see them up close, but I can't see that happening as they need the spares airside don't they?
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Maisie wrote:Would be great to have 1 aircraft from each team that can make it in the static, as you never actually get to see them up close, but I can't see that happening as they need the spares airside don't they?

I was thinking that re access to the current Red Arrows aircraft.
As they are displaying, they won't allow en masse access airside to look at the aircraft during the day :question:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Reading on the FighterControl Forum , someone posted :
"In This Years Brochure its Says To Celebrate the Red Arrows 50th Anniversary RIAT 2014 Will Open to the Public on Friday though to the Sunday"
Anyone confirm this { whatever brochure the poster is referring to } ??
If this is correct , would this mean that the Friday is likely to be solely centered around the Reds { and possibly other international aerobatic teams } as a specific "50th Anniversary event" , with the Saturday & Sunday being normal RIAT days ??
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Reading on the FighterControl Forum , someone posted :
"In This Years Brochure its Says To Celebrate the Red Arrows 50th Anniversary RIAT 2014 Will Open to the Public on Friday though to the Sunday"
Anyone confirm this { whatever brochure the poster is referring to } ??
If this is correct , would this mean that the Friday is likely to be solely centered around the Reds { and possibly other international aerobatic teams } as a specific "50th Anniversary event" , with the Saturday & Sunday being normal RIAT days ??

You could be on to something there, the advert in the "brochure" (i'm assuming he means programme) states "50th Anniversary of the Red Arrows" and then below the picture of the Hawk (in the same font and colour) "New Friday opening for 2014".

What you've suggested could be quite logical! :whistle:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Just seemed logical , given the fact that we keep getting told just how popular the Reds are with Joe Public.
아직도 숨어있다

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

I think you only need to look at this year's PDeF anniversary show to see what they could do for the Reds.

Regarding the extra day next year, is it possible they're looking at making the extra day an enthusiast day? Tim Prince was quoted as saying he had a 3 year plan to improving the show.
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

I would expect to see a plethora of teams,and probably past Team members in attendance? maybe a vulcan and Reds Formation would happen?
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Bigrob

Post by Bigrob »

How about 1 plane from each team that goes form up for a fly past? Seen it in the states where a blue angle thunderbird snowbird and red did that

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

some interesting ideas. Re having a special tribute on the Friday, it seems logical BUT surely if some teams have made the effort to attend, they would want to display over the weekend to much larger crowds rather than just the Friday? Or perhaps they are anticipating such a great lineup that they know Sat and Sun will sell out and see a demand for Friday tickets. The anniversary and the news re the Friday certainly brings in some interesting options for 2014,
PS I assume/hope that all the availlable Gnats have already been booked?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

pbeardmore wrote:surely if some teams have made the effort to attend, they would want to display over the weekend to much larger crowds rather than just the Friday?
But is anyone actually suggesting that would be the case ??
As I said -- Friday would be specifically for the 50th Anniversary , with the Saturday & Sunday being normal show-days....hence the teams would still be able to display on those days as well if they wanted to.
아직도 숨어있다

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

well thats a good point, so are we thinkning that they would be aiming for a similar attendence figure to the weekend dates?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Bigrob wrote:How about 1 plane from each team that goes form up for a fly past? Seen it in the states where a blue angle thunderbird snowbird and red did that

Also did it at the PDF show in may this year,
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Bigrob wrote:How about 1 plane from each team that goes form up for a fly past? Seen it in the states where a blue angle thunderbird snowbird and red did that

How about every plane from each team forming up for one big flypast ?? :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

pbeardmore wrote:well thats a good point, so are we thinkning that they would be aiming for a similar attendence figure to the weekend dates?

The proposed Friday show is an afternoon flying display only.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Brevet Cable wrote:

How about every plane from each team forming up for one big flypast ?? :biggrin:

NOW we're talking!!! :cool:

Maybe they can throw in a pair of shiny new F35s to join the flypast......

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

But would RIAT be the main show for 50th Anniversary - Or would it be at Waddington considering that is the main RAF show??
Whisky Connoisseur

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

boff180 wrote:The proposed Friday show is an afternoon flying display only.
Don't think there'll be much appeal in that , then , unless there's lots of stuff going on on the ground beforehand to keep Joe Public & enthusiasts alike entertained.
아직도 숨어있다

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

rdchawk wrote:But would RIAT be the main show for 50th Anniversary - Or would it be at Waddington considering that is the main RAF show??
Well, that is the overkill in UK airshows. Don't be surprised if there will be more shows that will advertise to be the "official 50th anniversary show for the Red Arrows". I can't imagine all the big foreign teams will come over every weekend for another 50th.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

kichu

Post by kichu »

I've been to 50th Anniversary of Frecce Tricolori in their home base Rivolto in Italy (2010), I've also been to 60th Anniversary of Patrouille the France this year in Salon-de-Provence and both show were very similar, they were (most of the time) aerobatic teams gathering - Reds, Frecce, PdF, Patrulla Aguila, Patrouille Suisse, Polish Team Iskry etc. There were some other additions (a couple of italian solos in Rivolto (Tronado, Typhoon and local trainers). On PdF anniversary the had the formation flypasts (a single formation - one plane from each team). Also they invited and showed previous aircrafts that PdF were flying in early days - Fouga Magister for example - and there were some heritage flighs (Fouga + Alpha Jet), some french civilian and military solos/aerobatics. So as the aerobatic teams visit each other during the anniversary - you can definately expect a team gathering in 2014 plus some occasional flypasts (both current and heritage style) and things like that.

That kind of show is a good opportunity for aerobatic teams photography, as you can shot all of them on one airshow for - usually two days :) Since the team programme take definately more time and solos, the amount of solo jets and things like that was limited on those airshow, but with 3-day RIAT I think it will be no problem :)

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

aviodromefriend wrote:
rdchawk wrote:But would RIAT be the main show for 50th Anniversary - Or would it be at Waddington considering that is the main RAF show??
Well, that is the overkill in UK airshows. Don't be surprised if there will be more shows that will advertise to be the "official 50th anniversary show for the Red Arrows". I can't imagine all the big foreign teams will come over every weekend for another 50th.

No thats not what i'm getting at - am just saying as Waddington is the main RAF show would that be the main celebration show for the 50th Anniversary, as its an RAF run show??
Whisky Connoisseur

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

rdchawk wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:

No thats not what i'm getting at - am just saying as Waddington is the main RAF show would that be the main celebration show for the 50th Anniversary, as its an RAF run show??

However, the RAF's 90th was celebrated at Fairford back in 2008, so I'm not sure...