Southport Airshow 2013

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
jules48

Re: Southport Airshow 2013

Post by jules48 »

Nothing on Vulcan website about display which has just been updated.
Last year it was a question of money so why any different this year

banksy

Post by banksy »

Vulcan now confirmed for Southport according to today's Newsletter.

Sunday 15th September

Great news!
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Apparently Hunter "Miss Demeanour" is now confirmed for the Southport Airshow.
Does anyone know which civilian Spitfire is attending the Show ? Is it the Spitfire XI
PL965 from Peter Teichmans Hangar 11 collection or is it another one ?

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Looking a good airshow, hope everyone going enjoys it.
Last edited by MRTT on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

eddywinch82 wrote:Apparently Hunter "Miss Demeanour" is now confirmed for the Southport Airshow.
Does anyone know which civilian Spitfire is attending the Show ? Is it the Spitfire XI
PL965 from Peter Teichmans Hangar 11 collection or is it another one ?

I would imagine it's Peter Teichmans Spit, they usually ask him for something. At least you know you will get a decent display from him :yahoo:
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

jules48

Post by jules48 »

After some advise as 1st time visitor.
I will be staying at the Premier Inn adjacent to pier and bridge and my car will be parked there so dont need parking.
Can I get a decent view of the displays from Marine Drive or is it best to buy an admission ticket in advance for better views from the beach.
Thanks for any help

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

jules48 wrote:After some advise as 1st time visitor.
I will be staying at the Premier Inn adjacent to pier and bridge and my car will be parked there so dont need parking.
Can I get a decent view of the displays from Marine Drive or is it best to buy an admission ticket in advance for better views from the beach.
Thanks for any help

I've never tried to watch off the Marine Parade, so I couldn't say what it's like. If you want to take any decent picture's then the beach is a must. The display is usually a fair distance from the road etc.
As the entry price is only £7 in advance and £9 on the day I feel it's hardly worth worry about, you'll pay that for a drink and burger at most other shows.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Thanks very much for your help.Much appreciated

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

Anybody know if they are still to announce one more display?

They mentioned it on facebook a few weeks ago.
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

Just been informed that Miss D was the final announcement.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Has the Bell 412 helicopter of the Royal Netherlands Airforce, been deleted from the Lineup ?

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

Yeah they cancelled

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

They can send an Apache instead and all will be forgiven... :biggrin:

Seriously though, was looking forward to seeing some foreign participation! Oh well, can't be helped.
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

vulcanfan

Post by vulcanfan »

hi my fellow air show goers does anyone know the frequencies to Southport radio this year I know they reuse frequencies every other year

wellsie82@gmail.com

Post by wellsie82@gmail.com »

Skylinerworld wrote:Well last year was such a success that they should have the funds to push the boat out a bit!

if only :lmao:

imo the organisers are getting very complacent as the line up this year seems the worst i have ever known it to be

the big scoops are clearly the continued participation of the vulcan & typhoon, but that aside there is nothing to attract people to pay for this event. just compare it to the sunderland airshow this weekend & bear in mind that this is completely free....

JonHare wrote:From Sunderland Council website:

Friday

Red Arrows - BAe Systems Hawk T1A
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF)
Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4 - 29(R) Squadron
SWIP Twister Display Team - Silence SA1100 Twister

Saturday and Sunday

Red Arrows - Saturday only (early)
RAF Falcons Parachute Display Team
BBMF (Avro Lancaster B1, Supermarine Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane)
Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4 - 29(R) Squadron
Grob Tutor T1 - 16(R) Squadron
Shorts Tucano T1 - 72(R) Squadron
Black Cat Solo - Westland Lynx HMA8
Royal Navy Historic Flight - Fairey Swordfish
SAR Sea King - Westland Sea King HU5
Joint Helicopter Command Lynx - days to be confirmed
Curtiss P-40M Kittyhawk - Hangar 11
North American P-51D Mustang - Ferocious Frankie
Hispano HA-1112M1L Buchon - ARCo
Royal Netherlands Air Force Apache Demo Team - Boeing AH-64D Apache
Sbach - Gerald Cooper - Xtreme Air XA41
The Blades - Extra 300LP
The Matadors - Xtreme Air XA41
Miss Demeanour - Hawker Hunter F58a
Breitling Wingwalkers - Boeing Stearman - Sunday only
Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina - Plane Sailing

that said, it's the only local one to me & as a keen aviation enthuisiast & photographer & i'll be going. but i cant help think what might have been

The Wolf Gang

Post by The Wolf Gang »

Hi,

New to the forums here!

Would just like to ask if anybody here who lives in the Blackpool area, who's driving down to the airshow, would be interested in car pooling? I'd hate to have to rely on public transport to get me down there again, like last year! Would be happy to pay towards petrol of course.

PM me if anybody can do this.

Thanks.

Jonathan_ed

Post by Jonathan_ed »

The Wolf Gang wrote:Hi,

New to the forums here!

Would just like to ask if anybody here who lives in the Blackpool area, who's driving down to the airshow, would be interested in car pooling? I'd hate to have to rely on public transport to get me down there again, like last year! Would be happy to pay towards petrol of course.

Thanks.

Don't know if this will help, but last year the roads were completley snarled up and took me 3 and a bit hours to ge home (usually a 45 minute journey). So this year i'm going for the train option. I wasn't going in the direction of blackpool, but still....

Just a thought you might wish to consider.

The Wolf Gang

Post by The Wolf Gang »

Jonathan_ed wrote:
The Wolf Gang wrote:Hi,

New to the forums here!

Thanks.

Don't know if this will help, but last year the roads were completley snarled up and took me 3 and a bit hours to ge home (usually a 45 minute journey). So this year i'm going for the train option. I wasn't going in the direction of blackpool, but still....

Just a thought you might wish to consider.

I went by train last year, it was OK, but there's no direct link from Blackpool, I had to change at Wigan. The train to Southport was only 2 carriages (about 55 seats per carriage), which was a complete joke because they crammed about 175 people on, some with baby strollers & prams, it was a nightmare for me, getting back was the same!

My elderly father wants to come with me on the Sunday this year & all that hassle would give him a heart attack! I do have a back up plan if nobody can give me a ride. I can get a Stagecoach bus from Blackpool to Preston, then another bus from Preston to Southport, but the time margins are narrow & if the buses don't get caught in traffic we would get there at about 11:30am. I might be more confident if I knew exactly when the airshow was due to start, the tourist page only says gates open at 9am, not when the display starts. If the Red Arrows are opening the display I don't mind missing them if it gives my father & me a bit more time.

You know, it would be so much easier if they built a bridge across the Ribble from Lytham, Preston council might be dead set against it though!

Geezer100

Post by Geezer100 »

I have to agree with the last post. Very poor traffic management leaving the show, no police on 'point' duty, until the very edge of Southport, even then it was only on one set of traffic lights.
I'm not going this year. But if I was, I would go for the public transport option. Far easier.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Last year we were parked on the beach and were packed and ready to go when the last item was displaying (the Mustang?) As soon as it finished we were off. We back through the town and were home in Cheshire in an hour and half (it would normally be about an hour). I think the secret is not delaying on departure. It was quite funny seeing everyone twitching and packing their stuff away but pretending not to!

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

Last year when leaving, we were stuck in the car on the same road for about 2-3 hours until we finally started moving. Safe to say this year we're staying over in a local B&B and heading back the next morning! :smile:
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Same as DerekF. left the show and home in just under the hour (Manchester). Left via the costal Road and went out Ainsdale, Woodvale way. I never go for the town way Southport get to blocked up for my likings.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Jonathan_ed

Post by Jonathan_ed »

Well in one sense i am glad it wasn't just me and my dad that suffered with the traffic.

It was really poor, just the kind of thing to dampen the end to a great day.

I've planned my train journey, drive to wigan and jump, though hoping they have more than the two carridges :roll:

I suppose if i was to go in the car again i think i would just have to prepare myself before hand and say "its going to be busy, just stay cool and go with it".

silver fox

Post by silver fox »

The Wolf Gang wrote:[
You know, it would be so much easier if they built a bridge across the Ribble from Lytham, Preston council might be dead set against it though!

The number of times that's been proposed is uncountable, what is ironic is when the powers that be ripped up the rail track between Southport and Preston, (good old Dr Beeching) a bridge crossing the River Douglas was also hastily knocked down, how handy that would be now, the track then took a fairly curvy route and crossed the Ribble close to the existing railway station, wouldn't half help traffic leaving Southport heading North these days, whether as a rail track or a road.

Stu666

Post by Stu666 »

What's it like getting into Southport by car on the Saturday? I'm planning on staying somewhere on the Saturday and catching the airshow in the Sunday. Is it likely to be snarled up all day or does it die down when the show starts?

Also, what time does the show normally start and finish?

Thanks