Reno Air races folder 1 of 13 Updated 28/10

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
lozza

Reno Air races folder 1 of 13 Updated 28/10

Post by lozza »

OK so long as they don't bore you I'll post each set as I go, took over 9000 at the races so have started at the beginning :shock:

Spent 9 days at Reno Air races (Stead field), we were on the airfield every morning by 05.00, I was very fortunate, plus grateful to have full media pass for the whole week, can honestly say best 9 days of Aviation togging for me, everything from the folks I was with, to everything going on and to some of the places the media pass permitted me to access (the pylons).

The constant roar of Merlins, Radials and the bark of the T6's was just outstanding.

A massive thank-you to Bruce Croft (Zerotwowest), who without this whole adventure would never have taken place, that's why you should always reply to all emails (flickr) in this case, as that's how we met.

Not sure when the next 12 folders of images will get done as off to Switzerland tomorrow for Axalp, still its a long winter.

Reno Air races 2013 pt 1 by lauriehughes, on Flickr

lozza
Last edited by lozza on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Re: Reno Air races folder 1 of 13

Post by Agg »

Im really not a fan of modifying warbirds and dressing them up in horrible colors, but the pictures are great! :)

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

I love Reno aircraft, so please post away! Would love to get there one day for it but I can't see it... especially if they ever stop it?!

Great set so far.... weather hot there?
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

I agree with Agg that modifying aircraft and painting them but the pictures are brilliant.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

adamp89

Post by adamp89 »

Agg wrote:Im really not a fan of modifying warbirds and dressing them up in horrible colors, but the pictures are great! :)

so your favorite aircraft is the sea fury in number 26 then? ;)

love the images, and the props in no 14...
Adam

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Rare Bear looks like an R/c model in flight to me......
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

adamp89 wrote:
Agg wrote:Im really not a fan of modifying warbirds and dressing them up in horrible colors, but the pictures are great! :)

I like the pix, even though the non-stock warbirds are a bit weird. But "924" is also non-stock, with a tall tailfin, incorrectly positions fin flash and for some reason an impossible serial number. UK military serials are two letters and three numbers, and Sea Furies are all further up than "ES" anything, let alone having four numbers after it. What's that about?

John

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

adamp89 wrote:

I like the pix, even though the non-stock warbirds are a bit weird. But "924" is also non-stock, with a tall tailfin and for some reason an impossible serial number, UK military serials are two letters and three numbers, and Sea Furies are all further up than "ES" anything, let alone having four numbers after it. What's that about?

John

F-86

Post by F-86 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
adamp89 wrote:

I like the pix, even though the non-stock warbirds are a bit weird. But "924" is also non-stock, with a tall tailfin, incorrectly positions fin flash and for some reason an impossible serial number. UK military serials are two letters and three numbers, and Sea Furies are all further up than "ES" anything, let alone having four numbers after it. What's that about?

John

924's tailfin looks standard to me.

Greats shots btw.

timuss

Post by timuss »

Awesome somewhere I'd :cool: :clap: :clap: love to go to someday
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

The serial ES8502 is its construction number I believe - it's been in that scheme for years!
Cracking shots :)

Were there many Sea Furies taking part?
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

F-86 wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
adamp89 wrote:

John

Greats shots btw.

Looked again, agree with you on tailfin. However, "construction number" wouldn't be shown on the aircraft in a UK scheme (though a bit of googling showed the German target tugs displaying it - Doug Arnold had several of these at one time) whereas its UK military serial number would. I'm sure someone on here knows what it should be - in the W- and V- ranges most likely.

John

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Thanks for that. From there I established it was built under a UK military contract as VX300 before becoming a German target tug and being one of several Sea Furies procured by Doug Arnold and kept at Blackbushe until he got a decent offer.

In the early Seventies Blackbushe was a remarkable sight with up to 3 Sea Furies, some CASA 352s (license built Ju52), at least one 2111 (License built He111 with RR Merlins that appear to be simply Lanc installations stapled on), some Spanish Daks, the five B25s used in Hanover Street, and hangars at the far end with Spitfires in various states of restoration along with everything from a P51D to a Mosquito B35, bits of Lancaster, bits of Liberator and so on. As a youth I did a fair bit of peering through the back windows until I finally spent a summer sweeping Indian dust out of Spits and dismantling them with minimal tools. The Indian Spits had pick-axe holes through their Griffon crank-cases (and other bits of the engines) which rumour had it was IAF sabotage when they heard Arnold had bought and was exporting all their gate-guards. All of those Spitfires are now airworthy. There was also a Bf109 that Arnold had allegedly exported from Australia illegally, bypassing licensing requirements by describing the shipment as "scrap metal" - I don't know where that one might be by now.

A long reminiscence from a couple of photos - hope it tweaks others' memories.

John

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Thanks for that. From there I established it was built under a UK military contract as VX300 before becoming a German target tug and being one of several Sea Furies procured by Doug Arnold and kept at Blackbushe until he got a decent offer.

In the early Seventies Blackbushe was a remarkable sight with up to 3 Sea Furies, some CASA 352s (license built Ju52), at least one 2111 (License built He111 with RR Merlins that appear to be simply Lanc installations stapled on), some Spanish Daks, the five B25s used in Hanover Street, and hangars at the far end with Spitfires in various states of restoration along with everything from a P51D to a Mosquito B35, bits of Lancaster, bits of Liberator and so on. As a youth I did a fair bit of peering through the back windows until I finally spent a summer sweeping Indian dust out of Spits and dismantling them with minimal tools. The Indian Spits had pick-axe holes through their Griffon crank-cases (and other bits of the engines) which rumour had it was IAF sabotage when they heard Arnold had bought and was exporting all their gate-guards. All of those Spitfires are now airworthy. There was also a Bf109 that Arnold had allegedly exported from Australia illegally, bypassing licensing requirements by describing the shipment as "scrap metal" - I don't know where that one might be by now.

A long reminiscence from a couple of photos - hope it tweaks others' memories.

John

lozza

Re: Reno Air races

Post by lozza »

DanO1978 wrote:As per the rules, you must keep all your photographs from the event, no matter how many, in this one thread.

Um yes I know, didn't say otherwise, no harm in adding is there :hide: :hide:

colper

Post by colper »

Great set.Personally I like the different colourschemes,think it adds to the event.Looking forward to seeing some more.

Colin

colper

Post by colper »

Great set.Personally I like the different colourschemes,think it adds to the event.Looking forward to seeing some more.

Colin

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
F-86 wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
adamp89 wrote:

John

Greats shots btw.

Looked again, agree with you on tailfin. However, "construction number" wouldn't be shown on the aircraft in a UK scheme (though a bit of googling showed the German target tugs displaying it - Doug Arnold had several of these at one time) whereas its UK military serial number would. I'm sure someone on here knows what it should be - in the W- and V- ranges most likely.

John

The scheme on N924G is not a genuine Fleet Air Arm scheme... most of the T.20s were painted in silver colours with yellow bands back in the day.
Sanders has painted it in their own personalised colours - which is probably why it carries its construction number on the tail rather than its ex-FAA serial number.
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

ciaranchef

Post by ciaranchef »

Great set of pictures, look forward to next bunch, Ciaran
"It is generally inadvisable to eject over the area you just bombed"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaranchef/

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

centaurus18 wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
F-86 wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
adamp89 wrote:

John

Greats shots btw.

John

The scheme on N924G is not a genuine Fleet Air Arm scheme... most of the T.20s were painted in silver colours with yellow bands back in the day.
Sanders has painted it in their own personalised colours - which is probably why it carries its construction number on the tail rather than its ex-FAA serial number.

I'm always happy to be educated but in that case can you explain the scheme on the RNHF T20, VX281, which looks pretty much identical to me?

John

Toetapper

Post by Toetapper »

Superb images as usual, I would love to see these for myself one day

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:I'm always happy to be educated but in that case can you explain the scheme on the RNHF T20, VX281, which looks pretty much identical to me?

John

VX281 is panted in the colours and markings of an early Fleet Air Arm Sea Fury FB.10, (the Squadron and exact aeroplane escapes me), but it looks exactly as the original would have done aside from carrying its own serial number.
Mark

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

centaurus18 wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:I'm always happy to be educated but in that case can you explain the scheme on the RNHF T20, VX281, which looks pretty much identical to me?

John

VX281 is panted in the colours and markings of an early Fleet Air Arm Sea Fury FB.10, (the Squadron and exact aeroplane escapes me), but it looks exactly as the original would have done aside from carrying its own serial number.

Which means the US aircraft is in an authentic FAA scheme apart from this weird business of carrying its build number.

I think we can excuse putting a single seat scheme on a two-seater, quite a few tandem Spitfire owners have done the same.

John

lozza

Post by lozza »

Well still no closer to sorting this pile of shots out but heres a few more I've had a play with

Reno Air races 2013 by lauriehughes, on Flickr