Leuchars in the Autumn light - 24/10/13

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
Marky Mc

Leuchars in the Autumn light - 24/10/13

Post by Marky Mc »

I decided to have a day off work on Thursday to photograph the Leuchars Typhoons as the base enjoys its last autumn before closure. The forecast was good and the wind was blowing in the "right" direction, so a trek down to the beach was in order. The sun and clouds played ball for the morning's action, with 1 and 6 Squadrons both launching a handful of jets, whilst the four visiting Tucanos from Linton were very active, each making several sorties throughout the day. Of the visiting Danish F-16s, only E-074 and E-075 flew a morning mission. E-074 would fly again on a solo mission later in the afternoon. Here's a few shots of the day's action, no apologies for them being Typhoon heavy!

The morning waves prepare to launch:

On recovery, the first pair of Canopeners performed a pairs GCA; first time I've snapped 6 Squadon jets doing this:

"Fox Quebec" is added to my collection:

ZK302 has returned to 6 Squadron (still yet to receive a new code), and it recovered in beautiful light, performing several low approaches, “surfing” the tree line as it did so:

"DAF3260A and B" prepare to depart for their morning sortie:

The Tucanos were very active, wearing a variety of markings, including ZF339 which carried the CFS crest and the inscription "Central Flying School - 100 Years of Excellence":

It got quite cloudy in the afternoon, but I decided to stick it out down at the beach and enjoy the banter. Gaps were appearing in the clouds as sunset approached so I decided to wait under the approach lights for the afternoon wave from both resident Typhoon Squadrons to return. Just minutes before the jets recovered, the setting sun bathed the approach in the most amazing glow, making this a very memorable day at my beloved Leuchars.

Thanks to Mark MkII and Graeme for their company throughout the day.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Leuchars in the Autumn light - 24/10/13

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Excellent. First shot of ZK302 in the evening light and the first Danish F-16 for me.

Nice to see you posting pics again. :biggrin: :kiss:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Harry_Imp

Post by Harry_Imp »

Really cracking shots, excellent clarity and nicely processed.

Harry

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

No need to apologise Marky Mc regarding this being Typhoon Heavy, reckon you need to get as many Leuchars Typhoons as you can before they move up North to Lossie so we have as many memories of them being based at Leuchars as we can, remember promising myself to get as many as possible either at the remaining Airshows and on spotting days as possible when I heard about the closure, so at least I could have good memories.

Great pictures of the Tucano's and Danish F-16's. Is that a special tail marking on E-075?

alanp

Post by alanp »

Beautiful set. I've always been scuppered by heat haze shooting threshold shots there, but the stiff breeze and cold has given you perfect conditions which you've exploited to the full.

Mr Flibble
UKAR Staff

Post by Mr Flibble »

Great to see some shots posted from you Mark.
Excellent stuff too, especially the sunset shots.

Vixen1

Post by Vixen1 »

A lovely set of shots there. Looks like you had a heck of a lot more action than I had at Lossie. :smile:

Craig_85

Post by Craig_85 »

Nice, sharp and well exposed. I went to Leuchars as a kid and love it, but if you can handle the drive to Lossie at least they are moving to what appears to be the most photogenic base in the country :smile:

elderforest

Post by elderforest »

The 6 Sqn pairs shot is very nice indeed :cool:
Ian.
(elderforest).

Frank B

Post by Frank B »

I really like this set, congratulations.
Seems like the danish Vipers are equiped with a new type of ejection seat - F35 style ?

Frank

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Superb set! Evening shots are just brilliant. :rock:
Card carrying aviation addict!

onemac

Post by onemac »

Cracking set Mark. Single burner overshoot is rare and good catch on the F-16's. Last two are special though.

Al
When in Athens.......