Dubai Air Show 2013 - 18-21 November

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Dubai Air Show 2013 - 18-21 November

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

We've been sent a press release for this event. Details below:

Dubai Air Show 2013

Showcasing the world’s best aircraft and stunt teams, this year’s Dubai Air Show is set to be unmissable!

Taking place at its new purpose built home at Dubai World Central the 2013 Dubai Airshow has a lot more to offer this year than at previous events. With a huge range of events happening, including a chance to view the planes on the ground, meet the pilots and see some of the best flight display teams in the world.

Running from the 18th to the 21st of November, the complete lineup of the show is set to be revealed a little closer to the time. However, here are some of the things that you could possibly see at this year’s show:

In the Air

Al Fursan - Confirmed!

Al Fursan or ‘The Knights’ are the United Arab Emirates air force's own aerobatic stunt display team. Confirmed to be flying at the show this year, Al Fursan are set to perform a daring and skillful aerial display in their seven Aermacchi MB-339A aircraft. Painted in the official colours of the UAE (black, gold, white, red and green), this year’s display is set to be unmissable. Remember to look out for their famous coloured smoke generators!

F/A-18 - Confirmed!

A top speed of 1,190mph and a design made for aerial maneuverability makes the F/A-18 a must see. This impressive American multi-role fighter has the ability to attack both air and ground targets; land on aircraft carriers and excel in dogfights with other advanced planes.

Confirmed for this year’s event, the F/A-18 will be giving a demonstration of its agility and speed.

Airbus A380 - Rumoured

The largest passenger plane ever created, carrying over 850 people, the Airbus A380 could be dropping in for a fly-by. The size of this plane is incredible, so if it does fly past, you will definitely notice it!

Eurofighter Typhoon - Rumoured

A joint project bringing together four European countries, the Eurofighter is one of the world’s most advanced fighters. Designed for acceleration and speed, this amazing plane could possibly be doing a demonstration. With incredible it’s incredible turning ability, this fighter is unmissable.

All flying demonstrations will be viewable from the new purpose built grandstand.

On the Ground

Aircraft

There will be plenty of airplanes parked on the ground for you to look at. Get your photo taken sat in a cockpit and ask ground staff any questions you have about them.

Fun and Games

The exact details are not confirmed yet. But expect there to be plenty more to see and do on the ground than just planes.

Meet the Pilots

Pilots of all sorts of aircraft will be making regular appearances at the show. Use this as your chance to get their signatures or ask any questions you want. When you arrive at the event, be sure to check what times they are making their appearances.

Food and Drink

There will be plenty of food and drink options available at the venue, whether you want something light or a full meal.

Prepare for the Event

Because of the event location, the weather is likely to be extremely hot and sunny so don’t forget to bring sunglasses, a hat and sunscreen!

Due to the noise created by the planes, earplugs are a good idea, especially for small children.

A camera and binoculars are also highly recommended.

The vast majority of show announcements haven't been made yet, so remember to keep checking the official website for the most up to date information.

How to get there

By car:

The site for the Dubai Air Show can be easily accessed from the roads Sheikh Zayed and Mohammed Bin Zayed. The approximate driving times for arriving at the show are:

Dubai Marina (20 minutes)

Jumeirah (25 minutes)

Downtown (35 minutes)

Dubai International Airport (45 minutes)

By Metro:

Dubai has a comprehensive Metro system, covering the majority of the city and surrounding area. The closest Metro station is the Jebel Ali Metro station, which is just a short taxi ride from the venue.

By Taxi:

At peak times, taxis in Dubai can be hard to come by. Be sure to book one or you could be waiting a long time.

Are you attending the show? If so, what are you looking forward to most? Leave us a comment below and let us know.

The information for this announcement was compiled by the press and marketing team at aircharter.co.uk, the private charter jet experts, to provide you with a brief overview of the things that will be happening at this event.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

PeterR

Re: Dubai Air Show 2013 - 18-21 November

Post by PeterR »

Red Arrows & RAF Typhoon are both displaying there.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Flapjack will be performing his last display in Miss Demeanour there too.

Well, at least his last display as the owner.

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

DeanW wrote:Flapjack will be performing his last display in Miss Demeanour there too.

Well, at least his last display as the owner.

Are you sure that's not Al Ain you are referring to?
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Oops, it is indeed! :facepalm:

I blame my hangover.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

The flying display has plenty of exotic items, looking forward to seeing which variant of MiG-29 is displaying! :heyhey:

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

There's a good contingent of US stuff attending too, so hopefully good news for Farnborough and RIAT next year.

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

DeanW wrote:There's a good contingent of US stuff attending too, so hopefully good news for Farnborough and RIAT next year.

Would take it with a pinch of salt. Remember that part of the world has a lot of money right now, whereas we do not. Hopefully these will attend RIAT and Farnborough next year, but I'm not putting a lot on it. :roll:

Jack.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

The USAF are exhibiting the F-22 & B-1B at Dubai - neither of which are for sale. More of a "my stick is bigger than yours" gesture than a sales pitch I think. :cool:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

They're both also deployed to the region ;-)

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

PeterR wrote:The USAF are exhibiting the F-22 & B-1B at Dubai - neither of which are for sale. More of a "my stick is bigger than yours" gesture than a sales pitch I think. :cool:

It is also a statement that the technology from these platforms permeates other US military equipment, you might not buy the F-22, but you can buy other very high technology systems from US defence companies.
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

Baghdaddy

Post by Baghdaddy »

The problem with Dubai is you never know what you will get and even then an aircraft on the list will only show for a day or so on static etc. That said, from what I am told, there will be some interesting hardware on show:

Boeing are sending F/A-18E Super Hornet, P-8A Poseidon, CH-47F Chinook, AH-6I Little Bird, AH-64D Apache Longbow, C-17 Globemaster III
UD DoD should be sending F-15E, C-130J, E-2C Hawkeye, B-1B, F-22, AH-1Z, UH-1Y, MV-22B
UAE Armed Forces F-16, Mirage 2000-9
UAE Joint Aviation Command AH-64D Apache, AS-565 Panther, AT-802 Air Tractor, C208B Caravan, CH47F Chinook, UH-60 Blackhawk
I believe the Jordanians may be sending an F16

Boeing should also be sending a B787 and Qatar another, Airbus should have an A380 and I think EK will also pull one off their A380 line.

I feel that the Red Arrows being on show is significant along with the Typhoon. It is usual to have the PdF at Dubai in recent years with the French plugging the Rafale. Since more interest has recently been shown in the Typhoon, the 2011 DXB show was a great put down for the Rafale, within the ME region the use of the Reds carrying out displays this week, sometimes with the Typhoon, has been a great marketing ploy. It has not been used just for aviation but British business ties in general, the display in Bahrain this week may seem insignificant from an enthusiast's eyes but the message between governments is clear, we are committed to doing business together. I believe the next few months could see the Typhoon stepping up to the mark to the chagrin of Rafale.

I think this year's show will be good one. Will be there on 20-21 Nov.
TTFN
Baghdaddy
None of the above photos were taken by me, they were on a disc I found in a dustbin............

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Baghdaddy wrote:...even then an aircraft on the list will only show for a day or so on static etc.

That's worrying, hopefully the more exotic military items will be on show on the days I'm attending. The online participation list seems to updated daily, with the UAE Armed Forces additions being confirmed most recently. Looking forward to seeing the large amount of American participation too. The big questions are will the A350 turn up and will the Boeing 787 due be the new 787-9?

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

PeterR wrote:the new 787-9?

The extra-crispy variant? :grin:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

PeterR wrote:
Baghdaddy wrote:...even then an aircraft on the list will only show for a day or so on static etc.

That's worrying, hopefully the more exotic military items will be on show on the days I'm attending.
I always thought Dubai was a trade show. So what makes it surprising aircraft don't attend for the complete duration of the event?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Well according to a log the F-22 hasn't turned up and the first days flying display was cancelled due to a sand storm.

Andy

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

First days flying was cancelled due to Sandstorm.

F-22 & B-1B aren't based from the showsite, they're both just performing flypasts each day.

Today's flying has been awesome!

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Timed a short break from work with a quick 20 min dash to watch the P-8, and was very impressed by its short but expertly flown demo.

Disappointed by how far most of the displays are however from the crowd line. Will try and bag the P-8 again today however.
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"Aviation Oasis" - With the promise of exotic aircraft on display and brilliant weather, Peter Reoch travelled to Dubai.

Image Image Image Image Image