Please Tell Us What You Think About Our New Website

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
Chris.Globe

Re: Please Tell Us What You Think About Our New Website

Post by Chris.Globe »

Fat Albert wrote:Hi im finding the new board real hard to get used to :sad: Perhaps its because there isnt a proper column for "Last Post Info" on the front page , could this me rectified ?

I think only Ikonbaord and SMF are actually set up like this by default. Everything else will need a mod/hack/plugin.
Cheers,
Chris Globe – http://chrisglobe.com
World Museums Editor – http://freebirddb.com

steves4ssl

Post by steves4ssl »

ILoveLightnings wrote:Do the names of the posters have to be so small. I like to know who's post I am reading and find the name is a tad on the small side for my eyes. :sad:
Overall :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think one of things that may be making it harder is that this particular Style doesn't segregate the posters name and the topic in the way the default phpBB3 Styles do (interestingly, the issue someone had with "Report" appears to be the same based upon the forum I look after) but these are all just Style issues so in most cases things like this can be changed if our forum bosses feel it is necessary :smile:

Plane Mad

Post by Plane Mad »

It's looking superb so far, credit to the hard working team behind the upgrade. :clap:

Only minor niggles I have are...
It's great during the day, but a bit bright at night, but then again my eyes are getting a bit old!
Just trying to get used to the new layout, anyone have a UKAR SatNav ???
If enough power is good, & more is better, than WAY TOO MUCH should be just about right!!!

eaglekepr

Post by eaglekepr »

One more minor gripe from me... external links when clicked on now open in the same window/tab instead of a new window/tab (depend on what's set in browser preferences). Although opening threads from the individual forums (vs the new posts link) open as they should when using tabs compared to the old board where they opened in the same tab and new tab. This is all in Firefox 3... hopefully that makes sense! :)

John_E

Post by John_E »

Are me eyes deceiving me or have post counts disappeared from profiles? Not complaining, it might stop people trying to boost their post-count by adding spurious replies, much like this one. :grin:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Correct. One of a raft of changes that Peter and I spent our weekend addressing, which were rolled out yesterday evening...

• Bold text for unread forums/topics
  • Narrower Avatar column which cures the 1024 picture issue, and all the info has been removed along with the "online" marker
  • Revised font sizes
  • Darker BG colour to make it easier on the eye
  • Vertical dividers removed
  • A host of new topic icons and markers (might need to hold control and hit refresh if you still see the old ones).
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Well done, a good hour's work and a good result.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

:sleepy:

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Correct. One of a raft of changes that Peter and I spent our weekend addressing, which were rolled out yesterday evening...

• Narrower Avatar column which cures the 1024 picture issue, and all the info has been removed along with the "online" marker

I personally preferred it with the online marker present, I understand to have it the avatar column needs to be wider however would it not be possible to have it underneath the posters name - Only something simple like "Online"?.

Mike

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Correct. One of a raft of changes that Peter and I spent our weekend addressing, which were rolled out yesterday evening...

• Revised font sizes
  • A host of new topic icons and markers (might need to hold control and hit refresh if you still see the old ones).

Well done to all involved that is much better for me :yahoo: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Although i quite liked the online marker
Previously known as WATFC and any Similarity to any persons alive or dead is purely coincidental

Mario

Post by Mario »

Saracen wrote:I quite liked the online marker

Would it not be possible to 'strap' it to the top right corner of the Avatar?
OK. What do we know, apart from what you've found out on Google?
- Harry Pearce

mice

Post by mice »

I'm liking the go faster stripes.
"Americans may have no identity, but they do have wonderful teeth" (Jean Baudrillard)

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

• Revised font sizes

Cheers for the efforts guys, much appreciated :clap: :smile:

Typhoon08

Post by Typhoon08 »

Think the site now looks awesome. Very modern and definitely a improvement! Well done.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

[quote="LN Strike Eagle"]Correct. One of a raft of changes that Peter and I spent our weekend addressing, which were rolled out yesterday evening...

[*] Narrower Avatar column which cures the 1024 picture issue, and all the info has been removed along with the "online" marker

Thanks for that. New monitor no longer required :grin: :clap: :clap:

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

Is it me ...... or are the "read" and "unread" topic icons back to front? .... i.e. a topic that I haven't yet read shows an open envelope icon, whereas a topic that I have read, displays a closed envelope icon - surely it should be the other way around? :whistle:

Terry

In a Maze

Post by In a Maze »

Sorry don`t like it, I thought was much better laid out 1/10.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

I see that the last thread topic replied to is now on the front page, Just what I wanted, thanks Mods.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Liveforriat

Post by Liveforriat »

Thought the new board was great when it was launched and now with all the little mods being made it just gets better and better! Well done to all involved it is all very much appreciated!

Question to the mods, has the membership level dropped since relaunch or is it back up to previous lelels. Hope the Mole is aware of the change, RIAT wouldnt be RIAT without the mole!!
Was once Liveforriat2007 but that wasnt a great year so Ive decided to simply live for RIAT period.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Liveforriat wrote:Question to the mods, has the membership level dropped since relaunch or is it back up to previous lelels.

We had 4,000 members before - we've got about 1,250 at the moment.

Liveforriat

Post by Liveforriat »

I suppose that could be viewed as a big drop but how many of those 4000 were active members who used the boards regularly! I imagine most regular users re registered pretty much instantly!
Was once Liveforriat2007 but that wasnt a great year so Ive decided to simply live for RIAT period.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Liveforriat wrote:I suppose that could be viewed as a big drop but how many of those 4000 were active members who used the boards regularly! I imagine most regular users re registered pretty much instantly!

Not that big a drop really when you consider the time scales involved - those 4,000 were "accumilated" over the course of 4 years or so. We've already got more than a quarter of them back within 3 weeks of launch.

Liveforriat

Post by Liveforriat »

Totally agree, its actually closer to a third I believe :)

EDIT: Ooops , just reread your post thought you said "nearly a quater" my bad!!

And like I said I imagine there is a proportion if that 4000 who were not active members and very rarely if ever posted!

I know this is slightly off topic but does this board raise any money for its upkeep and day to day running or is it a labour of love?
Last edited by Liveforriat on Fri 19 Sep 2008, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

At the moment, (I think) we're not even covering the hosting, so it's costing Paul money to run it each and every month. Everyone on the staff team is a volunteer, and Pete and I (with assistance from Paul and Nick on server side techy bits) designed and developed all this (website and forums) in our own time, so it's well and truly a "labour of love". :wink:

Liveforriat

Post by Liveforriat »

Then the board is that much more impressive I thank you all

:clap: :clap: