Oh YES! Lightning XS452 flies again

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
paravion

Oh YES! Lightning XS452 flies again

Post by paravion »

Well done Thunder City and Mike Beachy Head. Lightning T5 ZU-BBD (XS452) returned to the air today. Pic by Chris van Rooyen in Cape Town.

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Re: Oh YES! Lightning XS452 flies again

Post by MarkL »

:shock: Really ?
HTAFC

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Any pictures of her in the air?

I was doubtful about this actually happening so congratulations to Mike Beachy Head and his team for this achievement.

Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

The ONLY place for a Lightning is in the air.

Sincerely hope the maintenance is up to scratch.
Really would like to see some airborne piccies again.

theactualsparky

Post by theactualsparky »

blimey, whoda funk it?!

Mike

Post by Mike »

Scary stuff.

When will they ever learn? Anywhere in the civilized world, those responsible for the last smoking hole would be in jail by now. :sad:

Duxfordian

Post by Duxfordian »

Mike wrote:Scary stuff.

When will they ever learn? Anywhere in the civilized world, those responsible for the last smoking hole would be in jail by now. :sad:

I got told off for using "smoking hole" as a phrase on this forum.

I hope the moderators tell you off the same for dismissing RSA as "uncivilized" . :mad: :clown: :mad:

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Are there any reputable sources that the Lightning flew, apart from that picture of one taxiing?

Exciting to hear if it is indeed true, but after reading the damning report on the 2009 crash, surprising to say the least.

Hopefully some more news will surface shortly.

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

Stupid comment :mad: what are "they" supposed to learn? to stop flying historic aircraft and put them all in museums :mad:

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

They're meant to learn that to safely operate one of these things then you have to do it strictly by the book. No cutting corners etc. Frankly I'm astounded and worries that the same bunch are allowed to continue operating any aircraft, never mind a lightning.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Nothing to do with it being an historic aircraft, more to do with the fact that the maintenance of the aircraft Dave Stock was flying (therefore possibly the others too) was shambolic so yes there were plenty of lessons to learn. The Frightning's are well known for being a pig to fly and maintain.

I am not against the same team operating Lightnings, they learnt a lesson in a very tragic way. If this story is true it is a huge achievement but I am nervous about it all. Yet to see any in-air photographs though and I've searched Google and cannot find much on the Lightning flying so we'll see where this goes.
Last edited by Thumper on Tue 14 Jan 2014, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LightningMk6

Post by LightningMk6 »

Good shot of a Lightning taxiing, where are the shots of her airborne?

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

I thought the whole fleet, or at least the remaining Lightnings, were up for auction?
Last edited by MicrolightDriver on Tue 14 Jan 2014, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

Gregg wrote:They're meant to learn that to safely operate one of these things then you have to do it strictly by the book. No cutting corners etc. Frankly I'm astounded and worries that the same bunch are allowed to continue operating any aircraft, never mind a lightning.

You could mention that to the VTTS trust, leaving bags of silica gel in the engine intake only by luck did we not see a Vulcan plunging into a housing estate, mistakes are always going to happen, poor practices occur everywhere, some with tragic results but yer don't ground everything!! you try to make sure you learn and correct the problems, hopefully that's just what the SA crew have done.

ukko

Post by ukko »

HI
There are pictures on facebook of the flight at ShortFinalTV page and also AVcom www.avcom.co.za, hope this helps, cheers.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Are you serious? You're comparing a mistake to the mess that was Thunder City? You have read the accident report haven't you? A man died in that accident, a man that shouldn't have been in the aircraft to begin with. That crash wasn't because of a mistake.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Gregg wrote:Are you serious? You're comparing a mistake to the mess that was Thunder City? You have read the accident report haven't you? A man died in that accident, a man that shouldn't have been in the aircraft to begin with. That crash wasn't because of a mistake.

I agree, I think it's extremely misleading to compare a catalogue of failings in the operation of that Lightning with a one off error during a pre-flight check...

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

I want to defend the intent of Mike's comment (but not the wording).

I also want to state I am only an enthusiast... I have no in-depth knowledge of aircraft restoration or the technicalities involved.

It worries me that complex aircraft designed for defence /conflict are available to civilian operators to display. My understanding is that military aircraft (particularly from WW2 onwards) are complex and probably designed for a relatively short life. In their service days they would be maintained to a very high level and were likely very high maintenance. Their crews would also be experts, intensively trained and working day in, day out with their aircraft.

Like most of us on this forum, I love seeing these classic aircraft displayed, but I do worry about the consequences of one of these thoroughbreds failing.

I am not a killjoy so I hope you take my comments in the spirit they are intended.

Mark.
HTAFC

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

Gregg wrote:Are you serious? You're comparing a mistake to the mess that was Thunder City? You have read the accident report haven't you? A man died in that accident, a man that shouldn't have been in the aircraft to begin with. That crash wasn't because of a mistake.

Yes I'm being serious, and so should you, It was only by luck that silica gel bag went into the engine when it did and not later when loss of life could have occurred, don't try to minimise the seriousness of that error, vtts were very lucky that day.

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=6 ... 2&refid=13

Congratulations to the team, I think Dave would be proud of it!

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I am surprised that they have been allowed (or in fact anyone be allowed) to fly a Lightning again.

BAe Systems warned the South African Authorities about the Lightning's service record, yet they still grated permission for them to be operated. In the accident report it alleges things like procedures not being followed, and inexperienced maintenance teams being used to work on the jet.

Considering the operational record or the Lightning and the accident report, I do find it surprising that they are flying again.

The RAF with large spares sources, experienced maintenance crews and no financial constraints could not stop engine fires and subsequent loss of aircraft.

I am glad the CAA take the stance they do.

Duxfordian

Post by Duxfordian »

[quote="Hasboman"]

Congratulations to the team, I think Dave would be proud of it![/quote

The same team who more or less killed him, you mean?

RSA is place close to my heart but no way in the world should BeachyHeads "team" of chancers be let near a flying EE Lightning ever again.

paravion

Post by paravion »

Gotta chuckle at the faked concern; I thought we had enough doubters and finger waggers in our neck of the woods!

And yes, Hasboman - Dave would have been very proud.

Picture of it flying today on SA Flyer Magazine Facebook page.

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

Duxfordian wrote:
Hasboman wrote:
Congratulations to the team, I think Dave would be proud of it!

The same team who more or less killed him, you mean?

RSA is place close to my heart but no way in the world should BeachyHeads "team" of chancers be let near a flying EE Lightning ever again.

Surely it's their own choice to fly them?! I'm sorry Duxfordian, but I find your comment to be incredibly disrespectful.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

BMrider wrote:

Stupid comment :mad: what are "they" supposed to learn? to stop flying historic aircraft and put them all in museums :mad:

Mike makes a very wise point, considering their appalling safety record. Nobody wants a repeat of before, but you can't hide from what we know.

The happy clap comments - suggesting we should ignore what history tells us - are a lot worse than those airing on the cautious side.

If the story is true, then let's hope for a safe flight for those involved.