The Last Week of Fantasy of Flight (as we know it)

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
expat1

The Last Week of Fantasy of Flight (as we know it)

Post by expat1 »

I spent a couple of days at Sun n Fun last week and while attending the 'Splash-in' at 'Kermit's Place' I was lucky enough to see a few of his beautifully restored aircraft in the air. Most of these are being flown by the man himself.

First up was the Grumman Wildcat - N222FM.

This beautiful New Standard D-25 spent many years providing rides for visitors to the museum.

This Boeing N2S-4 Kaydet - NC67412, was also taking people for a quick hop around the local area.

Kermit Weeks then flew two of his Flying Boats onto the lake for the Sun n Fun, 'Splash-in'. Shame he couldn't get the Sandringham out on the water too.

First he arrived in the Grumman Duck - N1214N.

Then after driving back to the hanger he showed up in the highlight for many. The Sikorsky S-39C - NC50V.

Sadly, Fantasy of Flight is now no more. We'll have to wait and see what happens next.
Last edited by expat1 on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You don't take a photograph you make it - Ansel Adams.
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, 100-400L, 70-200L, Tamron SP 150-600.

Pat Murphy

Re: The Last Week of Fantasy of Flight (as we know it)

Post by Pat Murphy »

Sad to see FoF is no more. I enjoyed my visit there many years ago. Some fantastic machines to finish with, especially the Wildcat.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Great variety of aircraft and very good shots. What's going to happen to the aircraft themselves, will they be sold on?
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Jeff Hunt

Post by Jeff Hunt »

I was there in March and Kermit explained to the crowd that his vision is to turn the museum into an aviation theme park. As he told the crowd that day, getting enough people through the doors as just a museum is not happening so he needs to increase attendance. The aircraft will still be a major part of the "new" FOF but there will be many more things to do besides see airplanes. The museum is still available for corporate events and will remain so during the conversion. Kermit sounded excited about his plans.....I just hope they can be seen through.

Cheers,

Jeff