Gnat Display Team at North Weald (Updated)

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Gnat Display Team at North Weald (Updated)

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Spent a pleasant day in the spring sunshine at North Weald today to catch the Gnat Display Team's three-ship in action. Two sorties across the day provided the photo opportunities, the only other movement of note being the Essex & Herts Air Ambulance in and out on a couple of shouts. Sadly Hangar 11 was shut up for the day, so no photos of any of their toys, likewise the goodies at Kennet and Weald Aviation.

Thanks to the Gnat team for being so accommodating to those of us lurking with cameras - it's really nice to be allowed up close to collections like this at North Weald.

1)
MD902 Explorer G-HAAT - Hertfordshire Air Ambulance - North Weald, April 2014 by DanGB, on Flickr

2)
Folland Gnat T.1 G-TIMM / XP504 (XS111) - Gnat Display Team - North Weald April 2014 by DanGB, on Flickr

3)
Folland Gnat T.1 G-RORI / XR538 - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, April 2014 by DanGB, on Flickr

4)
Folland Gnat T.1 G-RORI / XR538 - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, April 2014 by DanGB, on Flickr

5)

6)
MD902 Explorer G-HAAT - Hertfordshire Air Ambulance - North Weald, April 2014 by DanGB, on Flickr

7)

8)

9)
Folland Gnat T.1 G-TIMM / XP504 (XS111) - Gnat Display Team - North Weald April 2014 by DanGB, on Flickr

10)
Folland Gnat T.1 G-MOUR / XS102 (XR992) - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, April 2014 by DanGB, on Flickr

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

16)

17)

18)
Folland Gnat T.1 G-MOUR / XS102 (XR992) - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, April 2014 by DanGB, on Flickr

19)

20)

21)

22)
Folland Gnat T.1s - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, April 2014 by DanGB, on Flickr

23)
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Flare Path

Re: Gnat Display Team at North Weald

Post by Flare Path »

Lovely sharp photos as usual, Dan. :up:

Was the Venom about - believe it was out yesterday?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

RJC1878 wrote:Lovely sharp photos as usual, Dan. :up:

Was the Venom about - believe it was out yesterday?

No, there were no other classic jets out besides the Gnats today. I believe the Venom left yesterday.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Lovely set, of three wonderful schemes. The Yellowjacks scheme being my favourite.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

TH1213

Post by TH1213 »

Lovely set! Just a quick question, is it easy to get shots of the Essex/Herts air ambulance? What's the access to it like? Really want to get some shots of it.

Thomas

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

How quickly we forget. What an astonishingly beautiful aeroplane the Gnat was!

I remember being disappointed with its replacement and these pix have reminded me why. Especially since what I eventually decided were good looks on the Hawk T1 have been eroded as badly as the difference between the Spitfire Mark 1 and F24 - except that this time round its only from T1 to T2!

Thanks for posting and I look forward to catching up with the Gnats later this year.

John

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

TH1213 wrote:Just a quick question, is it easy to get shots of the Essex/Herts air ambulance? What's the access to it like? Really want to get some shots of it.

Thomas

Access, as with most things at North Weald, is excellent. The first shot was taken from the grass outside 'Wings Cafe' as it was departing, and the other shots are from the grass lawn outside the Air Ambulance HQ - focal length on shots 2 and 3 was just 100mm. That was probably a little too close to be honest, but I happened to be in the right spot, walking between two locations as it came into view, so I loitered to get some shots.

How quickly we forget. What an astonishingly beautiful aeroplane the Gnat was!

I remember being disappointed with its replacement and these pix have reminded me why.

Hawk is the prettier type for me - I find Gnats quite awkward to shoot at times, with such a huge pitot. Front 3/4 is the most flattering angle. The Hawk is a really very appealing shape - the black paint they wear these days does them no justice.

TH1213

Post by TH1213 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
TH1213 wrote:Just a quick question, is it easy to get shots of the Essex/Herts air ambulance? What's the access to it like? Really want to get some shots of it.

Thomas

Access, as with most things at North Weald, is excellent. The first shot was taken from the grass outside 'Wings Cafe' as it was departing, and the other shots are from the grass lawn outside the Air Ambulance HQ - focal length on shots 2 and 3 was just 100mm. That was probably a little too close to be honest, but I was happened to be in the right spot, walking between two locations as it came into view, so I loitered to get some shots.

Apologies for littering your thread with questions but I'm unfamiliar with the airfield having never visited before. Where exactly are these locations on the airfield, can't seem to find them having done some google research. Also where can you/can't you access on the airfield?

Thomas

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

TH1213 wrote:Apologies for littering your thread with questions but I'm unfamiliar with the airfield having never visited before. Where exactly are these locations on the airfield, can't seem to find them having done some google research. Also where can you/can't you access on the airfield?

Thomas

I'll send you a PM with details tomorrow/later today.

TH1213

Post by TH1213 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
TH1213 wrote:Apologies for littering your thread with questions but I'm unfamiliar with the airfield having never visited before. Where exactly are these locations on the airfield, can't seem to find them having done some google research. Also where can you/can't you access on the airfield?

Thomas

I'll send you a PM with details tomorrow/later today.

Appreciate that, thanks

Thomas

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

Lovely set of shots from a great day, yesterday.

Wings Café is the best place to see the Air Ambulance. We never know how much it will be in and out, so there may be a bit of a wait sometimes!
Nikon D750, Nikon D300s, Nikon D90

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Great set Dan, I quite like the Gnat, there's just something about small and cute jets :P

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Great shots, Dan.

DanO is right, such variety here for a thread containing just four aircraft!

Macc

Post by Macc »

11 & 12 have very nice colour processing! Lovely set Dan.

ALAN L

Post by ALAN L »

Great pictures, thanks for posting!
Classic Flight volunteer, Hunter Flight Academy groundie and a member of the Beech restorations team.

Weather Watcher

Re: Gnat Display Team at North Weald (Updated)

Post by Weather Watcher »

Shots like these are never boring :clap:

David

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Re: Gnat Display Team at North Weald (Updated)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Great set of shots, plenty of depth and colour!
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

That's the one, Dan.

Though they're all really beautifully processed; I love what you're doing with those slight colour casts.