2014 participants

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
farnboroughrob

Re: 2014 participants

Post by farnboroughrob »

The official reason for closing the halls at the weekend was a survey of exhibitors and they said they did not want to man the halls at the weekend after already having done 5 days as they got nothing from the public attendance. Lets face it 95% of exhibitors I have not heard of let alone joe public. Some of the halls, like BAE are outside in the show ground and will be open.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Su-35 at Farnborough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: well it is shown here on the layout map http://www.farnborough.com/files/fia_20 ... 2014v2.pdf
although after the Russian Knights episode I will believe it when it flies over my house!

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

If this is true about the SU-35 attending then it certainly brings FIA back into a better state after the last couple of shows, but I still personally feel it needs a little more still. Full update as listed below:

Breitling - Lockheed Super Constellation (S)
Civilian - Edgeley Optica (S)
Civilian - FLS Sprint 160 (S)
Civilian - Britten Norman Islander x3 (S)
Civilian - Cessna F406 (S)
Civilian - Eclipse EA500 (S)
Civilian - Cessna 208 Caravan (S)
Viking Air - De Havilland Canada DHC-6-300 Twin Otter (S)
Textron - Textron Airland Scorpion (S)
Sukhoi - Sukhoi Su-35 (TBC)
Sukhoi - Sukhoi Superjet 100 (TBC)
SAAB Group - SAAB 340 MPA (S)
SAAB Group - SAAB JAS-39 Gripen (S)
Piaggio Aero Systems - Piaggio P-180 Avanti x3 (S)
Omega - McDonnell Douglas KDC-10 (S)
Marshalls - Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules (S)
Airbus - Airbus A400M (F)
Airbus - Airbus CN-295 (F)
Diamond Aircraft - Diamond DA-42MPP Twinstar x3 (S)
Diamond Aircraft - Cessna 421 Golden Eagle (S)
Hawker Beechcraft - Beechcraft King Air 350 (S)
Hawker Beechcraft - Beechcraft AT-6 Texan II (S)
Hawker Beechcraft - Beechcraft T-6 Texan II (S)
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Russ

Post by Russ »

Sad, but even with the Su-35 (which I'd love to see), it still isn't enough to tempt me back after the awful experience of the show in 2012 - the worst airshow I've ever attended. More from an organisational point of view rather than the participants as well.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

If the SU-35 is definitely confirmed, I'll be there.

Don't care how bad the organisation is.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Tilney.G wrote:
Russ wrote:Sad, but even with the Su-35 (which I'd love to see), it still isn't enough to tempt me back after the awful experience of the show in 2012 - the worst airshow I've ever attended. More from an organisational point of view rather than the participants as well.

May I ask why?

Yes. Here is the post I made on UKAR after the 2012 show on 15th July 2012, from the "Thoughts on the show" thread...

Russ wrote:I went today, wish I hadn't bothered, it was the worst airshow experience I have ever had. Anyway here goes...

The public are treated like scum. Even on arrival, the security checks were ridiculous I even had to take my belt off and pull the top up - WTF? The security staff (G4S *snigger*), were rude and damn right nasty. Never known such a heavy handed and aggressive security search, disgraceful. No smiles or greeting, treated people like cattle.

Public days should be changed to advance tickets only, it was stupidly, dangerously overcrowded today. To the point where it would on the crowdline take 10 minutes to walk a couple hundred yards (I'm not exaggerating either). Then the G4S staff who stand the other side of the fence, have zero realisation what is going on and get in the way of photographers.

I know Farnborough is predominately a trade show, but that is all they seem to care about. No commentary down a large proportion of the crowdline - why? Very few toilets for the number of visitors, meaning a long walk and wait - why? Catering onsite is obscenely expensive, glad I took my own, but I saw one stall selling hot dogs for £6! Why? Nobodies fault but the clientèle are damn right rude, pushing in front of people and lack even basic manners.

£41 on the day is simply scandalous for the line up, which was mostly mediocre, with the A380 the only real stand out item for me. Compare the price to RIAT and what you get, clearly many things are fundamentally wrong at FI. I only booked tickets to see the Russian Knights a week before they cancelled.

It's been called Britain's "unfriendly airshow" before and that title is still absolutely 100% justified, probably more so now. I have no desire to go back on a public day again. The organisers should be ashamed of themselves.
Last edited by Russ on Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Great update if true...

They are trying to improve it, if this all comes off then it won't be for the want of trying...

frank

Post by frank »

Just to bring us back to reality can someone be more specific about the Su35 participation. Can't make out anything Su35 like on the plan nor can I see any reference in press releases so I remain unconvinced.

Also given the obvious political situation I just can't see it happening. Politics blocked the Russian participation in 2012 due to Syria so the chances now seem very slim IMHO

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Okie dokie,

Good news if true but I'm going into reality check mode here...

1. The political situation is more than likely going to preclude this happening, any Russian hardware that lands runs a high risk of being impounded.

2. The only US aircraft on that map is a C-130, no mention of the DoD area or any F-35 silhouettes anywhere.

3. The Su-35 silhouette on that map (to the right of the A380) is wrong, they have used the original Su-30MKI/Su-35/Su-37 Terminator silhouette which had canards, the current production Su-35 doesn't have canards and resembles a normal Su-27 in silhouette.

Something just doesn't add up at the mo, let's wait and see.

Andy

Russ

Post by Russ »

Agree. I did think that, the idea of Russian military hardware being promoted and potentially sold in the UK at the moment does seem somewhat unrealistic.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Bearing in mind the map is, I believe, dated 2nd April - that doesn't explain the Russian participation but may go someway to explaining the lack of the F35 (not confirmed by that point.) Also this is of course seeming to exclude liveside aircraft.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Seeing as it was at Paris in 2013, theres a slim chance, if it did confirm, i'll be gobsmacked, F-35, Su-35, Spanish Harrier and the Swedish Historic Flight in one show? i'll believe when confirmed, fingers crossed. :biggrin:

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

boff180 wrote:Okie dokie,

1. The political situation is more than likely going to preclude this happening, any Russian hardware that lands runs a high risk of being impounded.

2. The only US aircraft on that map is a C-130, no mention of the DoD area or any F-35 silhouettes anywhere.

3. The Su-35 silhouette on that map (to the right of the A380) is wrong, they have used the original Su-30MKI/Su-35/Su-37 Terminator silhouette which had canards, the current production Su-35 doesn't have canards and resembles a normal Su-27 in silhouette.

Andy

The Su-35 TBC on this list;
http://www.airshows.org.uk/2014/airshow ... eview.html

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Flightline have probably listed that following the publication of that map and it becoming general knowledge yesterday, hence the (TBC) as that was only added to their list yesterday.

lancey2k32

Post by lancey2k32 »

Yes I would take that with a pinch of salt.

dragonslayer

Post by dragonslayer »

Andy

Didn't the F-35 press release last week indicate that the F-35 participation was a flyer only - operating from Fairford?

Kind regards, C

Shoreham Airshow

Post by Shoreham Airshow »

Andy

Actually it says its from "Marshalls Aerospace" so could be from any number of operators. Perhaps all the DoD budget has gone on supporting the F-35s! Or perhaps the DoD area is not on that part of the airfield!!
Last edited by Shoreham Airshow on Thu 24 Apr 2014, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Spanish Harrier Flying???!!!!

Ok here's my question, I haven't attended since 2008 when I went on a public day which was a bit pants. I plan to attend on a trade day but when will I know what's going to be flying on that day (probably Wednesday?) Ie I don't want to buy a ticket when I don't know what's there that day.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

boff180 wrote:Flightline have probably listed that following the publication of that map and it becoming general knowledge yesterday, hence the (TBC) as that was only added to their list yesterday.

OK...cool............it would be nice though wouldn't it :smile:

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

So is the F-35 definitely operating from Fairford or is all this news of the F-35 attending a load of tosh?

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Ledheadpilot27 wrote:So is the F-35 definitely operating from Fairford or is all this news of the F-35 attending a load of tosh?

Its not tosh as the official release says participating at RIAT and Farnborough
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

rdchawk wrote:
Ledheadpilot27 wrote:So is the F-35 definitely operating from Fairford or is all this news of the F-35 attending a load of tosh?

Its not tosh as the official release says participating at RIAT and Farnborough

Apologies I was just having a joke around in the latter part of my post. Serious part was whether they would be stationed out of Fairford during FIA week

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

dragonslayer

Post by dragonslayer »

The press release I saw last week definitely stated that the F-35 would be operating from Fairford.

It didn't state if that was everyday, or just a few days like the F-22 a few years back.

I don't know if the following is true (perhaps not), however, someone told me a few weeks back (before the F-35 participation was confirmed) that concern had been expressed by Farnborough that the heat generated by the F-35 (especially the 'B' variant) may damage the runway at Farnborough. Perhaps this is the reason for the plan to operate to/from Fairford.

Kind regards, C

Russ

Post by Russ »

I'm not convinced the F-35B's will hang around for the public days. I can see them heading home before then.

Sadly that's something that does happen at Farnborough.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

dragonslayer wrote:The press release I saw last week definitely stated that the F-35 would be operating from Fairford.

It didn't state if that was everyday, or just a few days like the F-22 a few years back.

I don't know if the following is true (perhaps not), however, someone told me a few weeks back (before the F-35 participation was confirmed) that concern had been expressed by Farnborough that the heat generated by the F-35 (especially the 'B' variant) may damage the runway at Farnborough. Perhaps this is the reason for the plan to operate to/from Fairford.

Kind regards, C

There's mutual agreement (Lockheed/USAF) that the RAF base Fairford is more appropriate for their stay.