Civvie n00b takes on EMA!

Photos of commercial airliners
Private Custard

Civvie n00b takes on EMA!

Post by Private Custard »

After spending all my time on military stuff, yesterday saw the arrival of the An-225......and a surprisingly excited me!

Had a great day, and arrived home pretty late, after hanging around for some of the glorious evening light :)

Firstly, the main event (some have been posted already, I'm just consolidating!)

And some other activity from the day, in no particular order. But you'll probably spot the evening light shots!

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Re: Civvie n00b takes on EMA!

Post by Ledhead27 »

Very nice work, lighting is perfect. I was on the opposite side of the approach while there was an influx of cargo aircraft meaning my photos came out rather dark.
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Fantastic set, really outstanding trio of the An225!

Private Custard

Ledhead27 wrote:Very nice work, lighting is perfect. I was on the opposite side of the approach while there was an influx of cargo aircraft meaning my photos came out rather dark.

Thanks a lot :)

I was watching the sun from your side until about 4pm, then decided to move. The police came around and warned everyone they were going to get towed if they were parked illegally, so my friend and I bagged an empty bench after everyone left in a panic!

The late evening low sun was the icing on what was already a very tasty cake!

I was going to comment on your shots, as they're very lovely. Had to make a cuppa first though!

tommo999 wrote:Fantastic set, really outstanding trio of the An225!

Cheers :)

I managed to reel off 54 shots as she approached, and they were all sharp. Selection was a nightmare!!

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Nice shots...

Just out of interest, were these all taken with a 300mm f4 L lens?

I am thinking of hiring one for Waddington, and want to know if it is worthwhile or not...

Dan

Private Custard

Talldan76 wrote:Nice shots...

Just out of interest, were these all taken with a 300mm f4 L lens?

I am thinking of hiring one for Waddington, and want to know if it is worthwhile or not...

Dan

Yep, all 300mm f4 L. I was tempted to go wider with the 24-105, but earlier tests proved that it just wasn't as sharp as I'd like. The 300 is an amazingly sharp little lens, but I reckon you'll be under-reached for Waddington. I used the 100-400 there last year and still wanted more! I'd rent a 500 f4 for Waddington I reckon. I'd rather get too many pixels on an aircraft, rather than not enough! You can get creative with your angles.

I used the 300 f4 yesterday, and all day at Cosford (naughty field side) and it was an absolutely belting lens for the job. Whatever you rent, I highly recommend a prime as the sharpness is such a joy. I have a pretty sharp copy of the 100-400, but it's a bit 'jack-of-all-trades'! :)

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

The 400 & 500mm primes are well out of my range unfortunately... :sad:

The 100-400L is an option, as is the sigma 50-500...

Private Custard

If you get a good copy of the 50-500, it may prove worthwhile. If you get an average copy, 400mm+ can be soft. As with all things, it's a gamble!