2014 participants

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
wv383

Re: 2014 participants

Post by wv383 »

LukeBrown wrote:So the A400 will not be their for the weekend?
Luke

A400M is down to fly every day of the show including Saturday & Sunday.
Simon

DDM10

Post by DDM10 »

No F-35 + weather forecast + £45 = No go for me this time. I hope the showers aren't too bad for everyone going and you all have a great time.
"Well Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again."

Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

BrizeWatcher wrote:Its official- the F-35B Lightning II has CANCELLED. :sad:

Swedish historic flight still have Farnborough listed on their site. Time to book that Viggen :wink:

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

As with RIAT..why is there a need to bring another A/C to the show to somehow justify DAVE no being there.....in fact the nearest you get to that is the Harrier which is appearing anyhow...talking of which, has thus validated yet to fly in the display??

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

AARDVARK wrote:As with RIAT..why is there a need to bring another A/C to the show to somehow justify DAVE no being there.....in fact the nearest you get to that is the Harrier which is appearing anyhow...talking of which, has thus validated yet to fly in the display??

Last week I believe. Saw comments on here saying it's a disappointing/short routine.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Unless something has changed, I'd expect one pass and two or three minutes of hover from the Spanish display.

Beefy

Post by Beefy »

capercaillie wrote::yahoo: :yahoo:

Oh wait, sorry, I thought you meant the whole programme. :grin:

Unfortunately not, several more billion of taxpayers money will be wasted on it before the whole programme is cancelled by the Pentagon. As I have stated in other threads; then leaving us with new carries which no aircraft can fly from because we really sensibly built them based around a single aircraft design :dizzy: Re-build or scrap them :wall: you can see it in the pipeline....

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Just to warn anyone going today, food is expensive.

A litre of water will set you back £4 and a hot lunch yesterday was £15!

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

boff180 wrote:Just to warn anyone going today, food is expensive.

Andy, was the Superbug display any better/worse than at RIAT last weekend??!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Better to be honest, still very high but appeared to display a little closer.

Also another warning, if you are bringing a bag expect problems getting in.

I arrived at 0915 and joined the line for people with passes and bags... Unfortunately this line were receiving the most stringent security checks airport style, including the removal of Belts!!! I finally entered the showground at 1015 thoroughly cheesed off.

Cheered me up no end to see the F-35 Showcase exhibition effectively abandoned :grin:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Do they do the security checks on public days too?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Last time I did a public day (2008), yes.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Public day in 2012 was an utter farce with the security checks. It took us well over an hour to get in and then my bloke was held by security for a further 30 odd minutes because he had a lighter and some insulation tape, clearly they were ingredients for his bomb making. The security check was so thorough they opened his tobacco tin and I was made to take every single item out of my camera bag including the bag dividers. The security guard found it highly amusing, we did not.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Last visit to Farnborough show on a Friday and my camera bag went through an x-ray machine, didn't have to open it, loose change etc in a tray and walked through an airport style scanner.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Robert24

Post by Robert24 »

When I went to the show yesterday I arrived at 'B' gate, over the footbridge at 09.40. I was in the exhibition area at 09.53!
Expecting the worst, as it was pretty busy, I was actually pleasantly surprised to be honest. Even the security people and registration staff were friendly!
Luck of the draw I guess!

Rob

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

That was certainly our experience. Friendly staff who just waved us through without any sort of bag search at all.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Weather doesn't look good for weekend :sad: Lets hope it changes.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

DerekF wrote:That was certainly our experience. Friendly staff who just waved us through without any sort of bag search at all.

I had this yesterday too today was a completely different ball game.

AMB

Post by AMB »

Brevet Cable wrote:Provisional for Friday--Sunday are on the official website : http://www.farnborough.com/public/

Absolute pathetic flying display for the public days - be prepared to be searched, scanned, fleeced and ripped off! :whistle:
Adrian

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

For all the excited pre show hype of goodies on show, it is staggeringly weak. Take the Spanish Harrier (a couple of passes and a bit of hovering) and the P-8 out and its very ordinary. The Turkish Army Mangusta has even done a runner :wall: although the Air Combat Command Lynx could be good :tongue:

Still at least the punters should see a VTOL jet design that works. :grin: :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

john001

Post by john001 »

Adie1980 wrote:

Andy, was the Superbug display any better/worse than at RIAT last weekend??!

On Monday it appeared to me to be the same.

Just for interest what differences in the regulations allow me to be closer to the runway at Farnborough than Fairford and the display line to be closer to me at Farnborough than RIAT?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The display line has to be 230metres at its closest point to the crowd line. If it's a dead straight line then that isn't a problem. But where it isn't say at Fairford where at the western end it pertrudes north slightly to allow cars into green car park, that is the datum for the 230m display line, hence being roughly 250m from the main crowd.

The big difference between the two is display minima, Farnborough self impose a 1500ft minimum altitude which makes photography of smaller flying acts virtually useless.

Andy

shorsley

Post by shorsley »

Should have been up our end of the display line (western end) we were given free bottles of water during the afternoon when it became apparent the heat was getting ridiculous. I also took two of my own drinks in without a problem.

Not sure where you were eating, but I managed to grab a cheese burger for £5 (about going rate most places) and if I'd wanted chips it would have totaled £8 - I've paid more for less at big events before. I'd taken my own food, but fancied something hot to nibble on.

boff180 wrote:Also another warning, if you are bringing a bag expect problems getting in.

I arrived at 0915 and joined the line for people with passes and bags... Unfortunately this line were receiving the most stringent security checks airport style, including the removal of Belts!!! I finally entered the showground at 1015 thoroughly cheesed off.

Another vindication for using Gate I. Drove straight in (although questioning looks were given to the Corsa), parked up, waited five minutes for the bus, arrived at security checks, they put the bag through the scanner I went through the arch, bag was given back no problems. Staff were friendly and cheerful too. All-in-all about 15 minutes from driving in to entering the showground. Also no queues or traffic problems leaving the show at the end. Seriously considering using it for entry on the public days if it's possible.

Oh and belts set the arches off (having worked this type of security it's quite amazing how little metal can set them off), which would then lead to you being patted down (which done properly takes a couple of minutes at least) which would then make it a longer process. Granted they should have had someone further up the line asking you to remove such items to save time before you got to the arches.
"I have a good pilot and a safe pilot."

Flickr

Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Canberra has gone from weekend list :sad:

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Distant Thunder wrote:Canberra has gone from weekend list :sad:

Oh Damn. :sad:
2016 Shows