Airshowhammer wrote:Never again :wall:

Did you not do your homework before the trip .... :whistle:

Airshowhammer

Re: 2014 participants

Post by Airshowhammer »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

:lol: Care to elaborate?

From the Station to actually getting inside the showground took me around 2 hours, i should have walked! No organization at all, then when i got inside it was just completely overcrowded, ridiculous pricing for two people to eat, £14 for two average sized rolls, massive queue to go to the toilet, get rid of the American stuff, the static was poor, i could go on! and for £48 for a ticket, the Harrier, Super Hornet and Canberra aside i thought the line up was very average! Next time i'll watch from outside.

Flying display was okay, Harrier stood out for me having not seen one for around 5 years, Super Hornet was too distant, the final Canberra pass the noise was incredible, Vulcan was a lot better and the Typhoon was average!

It was such a poor experience and next time i'll only be going Fairford instead of both. (should have done my homework before going)

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

Airshowhammer wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

From the Station to actually getting inside the showground took me around 2 hours, i should have walked! No organization at all, then when i got inside it was just completely overcrowded, ridiculous pricing for two people to eat, £14 for two average sized rolls, massive queue to go to the toilet, get rid of the American stuff, the static was poor, i could go on! and for £48 for a ticket, the Harrier, Super Hornet and Canberra aside i thought the line up was very average! Next time i'll watch from outside.

Flying display was okay, Harrier stood out for me having not seen one for around 5 years, Super Hornet was too distant, the final Canberra pass the noise was incredible, Vulcan was a lot better and the Typhoon was average!

It was such a poor experience and next time i'll only be going Fairford instead of both. (should have done my homework before going)

I used to attend Farnborough on a regular basis, my first show being in 1996. I've taken a coach and drove down in later years, I gave it a break in both 2006/2008 but returned in 2010 (think it was that year? - we had a solitary B-1B pass, which had based itself at Fairford on Sunday afternoon). But, after that show, decided it just wasn't worth the effort and expense. Coventry is home for me - so it means a fairly long run on the M40 & other roads. The show content over those years has got ever more modest and noticeably higher (unless displays always commenced around a minimum of 1000ft) - I have concentrated my efforts on Waddington & RIAT instead.

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

I wouldnt have minded being at the public days,it takes a lot to please everyone :wink: ...
but I'll say this...my one and only Farnborough visit was a coach outing in 2006....
there was negative stuff about Farnborough on UKAR even then,I knew there were restrictions on height and didnt expect any Zoom climbs,but when our coach driver,who had been the day before, told us it "wasnt really an airshow as you would know it" my heart sank and I thought about staying on the coach :grin: ...
but boy,what tosh that was....it was a cracking show that ran like clockwork...I wouldnt argue that some of the flying lines seemed a bit further than other shows at the time,but then I swear the runways were nearer for take offs and landings...and the 2006 line up more than made up for anything anyway!

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

Abingdonman wrote:I wouldnt have minded being at the public days,it takes a lot to please everyone :wink: ...
but I'll say this...my one and only Farnborough visit was a coach outing in 2006....
there was negative stuff about Farnborough on UKAR even then,I knew there were restrictions on height and didnt expect any Zoom climbs,but when our coach driver,who had been the day before, told us it "wasnt really an airshow as you would know it" my heart sank and I thought about staying on the coach :grin: ...
but boy,what tosh that was....it was a cracking show that ran like clockwork...I wouldnt argue that some of the flying lines seemed a bit further than other shows at the time,but then I swear the runways were nearer for take offs and landings...and the 2006 line up more than made up for anything anyway!

I've had some cracking days out at Farnborough, certainly in the late 90's. Aircraft taking-off from the northeast end always felt very close indeed - in-fact the runway seems to be at close-quarters along most of the crowdline.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I must say that I was present all arrivals week, went to two trade days and even after that I really enjoyed Saturdays visit. Ok having a BOGOF ticket and living round the corner helped but I thought the flying was mostly great. Drove straight into I gate about 9:30, straight on the bus and no security queue. As I was with the wife and I had seen all the trade static we did not go further than the Airbuses before settling down by the Vulcan. We ere about the third row of chairs back and it was all ver civilized until the flying started and one group from Sarf London gave grief to anybody who tried to push to the front! Crowd were very non enthusiast and very few with cameras.
As for the flying Meteor and Vampire were a good gentle start, enjoyed the Aerostars,Harrier and the very spirited Lynx display. The place came to a complete standstill for the Vulcan and Reds. F-18 was same as 2 years ago and the Typhoon seemed distant. Food was actually more varied and cheaper than trade days, best one was the newsagents behind the grandstand.
Only gripe was returning to the car park at I gate. They decided to ignore the previous signposting of the bus stands and was now yellow and green buses. We got on the third mobile sauna after many people jumping the queue which was delt with. Annoyingly the I gate pick up in the morning was from the bottom of the car park where we were. The drop off was right at the top so had to walk entire length of carpark. Overall was it worth £45 each, no probably not, but I didn't pay that. I think it badly missed the F-35 and what ever it would have done with the harrier. With a bit of imagination the reds could had done a pass with the Connie that followed them. Never mind I will be back for 2016 which will be my 20th show.

Inshala

Post by Inshala »

Brevet Cable wrote:I think RAFAT must have gotten lost......6 minutes late , bad show !! :snack:

You are criticising the Reds for a late take-off? Their taxiway was completely FOD'd after the Spanish Harrier burnt a big hole in it with his nozzles too far forward and threw gravel everywhere. They had to taxy in single-file slowly around. I suppose they could have just taxyed over it and trashed all their engines.

sideeffectwhu

Post by sideeffectwhu »

The line up was poor when you could consider that not long ago Southend had a show where there was the Harrier, Typhoon, Tornado, Sea Vixen, and Hawk for free. I went to Farnborough 4 years ago with my two kids and had the same type of journey on the free bus and two years ago went one day for validations which was brilliant and thanks for the advice on here I had a great day. All in all for £48 that was very poor but it was not their fault for the F35 and who am I to decide if they could have done better has I did not go and will not go as I feel I am funding the trade days that I cannot even pay to go to.

Woah what a moan

Anyway Airshow Hammer Lets hope we have a better season.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

sideeffectwhu wrote:The line up was poor when you could consider that not long ago Southend had a show where there was the Harrier, Typhoon, Tornado, Sea Vixen, and Hawk for free.

And where is Southend Airshow now?

It was largely bankrolled by the local Council Tax payer, and the Harrier, Typhoon, Tornado, and Hawk were all cheap to book RAF items. No doubt if they were still around Farnborough would have had them as well (of course Farnborough had the Typhoon). The Sea Vixen was sponsored by Red Bull at the time, which must have made it a lot more affordable to book than it is now, so you can't compare the two shows. It is like comparing RIAT 2012 with RIAT 2014.

I went to Farnborough and thought it was good. I got into the car park/bussed up to the entrance about 7:30am/8:00am. Gates opened at around or just before 9am, and was in the airfield just after 9. They abandoned checking everyone going through the gates whilst I was in the queue, and started doing just random ones. I guess they thought it would be a nightmare trying to get every person through security.

I thought the show was a nice change, after doing RIAT for many years (except the last two), you get tired of the usual duplication of aircraft in the displays, 3xF-16s, wall to wall display teams and the anything you can get for free from foreign air arms mindset. How many classic jets did RIAT pay for in the flying display this year? They didn't because it is an air show that is run for charity.
It may not be as big as RIAT, but they actually stuck their hand in their pockets and booked classic aircraft like the Meteor & Vampire, Canberra, Vulcan. The Harrier was another star of the show that I imagine many will come to regret not seeing for one last time.

Getting out was a bit of a pain, but it was very busy, you have to expect it I suppose. The flying display was in my opinion far more varied than at RIAT. It would have cost me more in petrol to get to RIAT and back anyway, so in some ways it actually worked out cheaper.

£46.50 was a bit steep, but you could easily pay that for someone crooning away on stage for 90 minutes, but no one seems to bat an eyelid at that.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Airshowhammer wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Hmm what time was all this as I got off at Farnborough main station around 10:00 queued for 5 mins got on bus got off and was in the sight within 10 mins?

I thought it was a good show happy I got to see the Spanish Harrier, GWDT, PR9, Boeing Super hornet, A400M and I still like the A380 display just brilliant the way its displayed guess that's why Airbus keep sending it to Farnborough , I will be back for the show in 2016.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

tug23

Post by tug23 »

Everything departed now?There was still a fair bit left when I went hone yesterday

Chris

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Inshala wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:I think RAFAT must have gotten lost......6 minutes late , bad show !! :snack:

You are criticising the Reds for a late take-off? Their taxiway was completely FOD'd after the Spanish Harrier burnt a big hole in it with his nozzles too far forward and threw gravel everywhere. They had to taxy in single-file slowly around. I suppose they could have just taxyed over it and trashed all their engines.

Yep.....there's always someone who bites !! Image
:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Inshala wrote:

Yep.....there's always someone who bites !! Image

I love the fishing Smiley!!!!
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

+ 1

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

tankbuster81 wrote:I love the fishing Smiley!!!!
http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/ :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Brevet Cable wrote:

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

Brevet Cable wrote:

Oh god everyone's going to be using these now :oops:
Nikon D7100
Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Nikon AF-S Nikon 50mm f/1.8G
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Brevet Cable wrote:

RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham