Dawlish Air Show 2015

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
SOMERSET SKYHAWK

Dawlish Air Show 2015

Post by SOMERSET SKYHAWK »

The Dawlish Air Show committee is delighted to announce that next year’s free airshow will take place on Saturday 22 August.

The decision has been taken to move the airshow away from the Bank Holiday weekend in 2015 for a number of reasons. Firstly, that weekend occurs very late next year (the Bank Holiday itself doesn’t fall until Monday 31 August) and it is also the weekend over which Dartmouth Regatta has been scheduled, so it makes sense to keep two of the biggest and most popular events in the region’s calendar apart.

Additionally, Dawlish Air Show will ‘share’ Saturday 22 August with Bournemouth Air Festival, an event it has coincided and shared display participants with previously, meaning that the tens of thousands of people who visit the town for the event should be confident that they will get to see all the exciting aircraft for which Dawlish Air Show is now synonymous.

Finally, low tide on Saturday 22 August will be at 3pm, immediately resolving some of the issues we experienced this year with a lack of room for spectators on the beach due to the high tide.
FoDAS
(Friend of Dawlish Airshow)

FRIAT
(Friends of the Royal International Air Tattoo)

MRTT

Re: Dawlish Air Show 2015

Post by MRTT »

SOMERSET SKYHAWK wrote:The Dawlish Air Show committee is delighted to announce that next year’s free airshow will take place on Saturday 22 August.

The decision has been taken to move the airshow away from the Bank Holiday weekend in 2015 for a number of reasons. Firstly, that weekend occurs very late next year (the Bank Holiday itself doesn’t fall until Monday 31 August) and it is also the weekend over which Dartmouth Regatta has been scheduled, so it makes sense to keep two of the biggest and most popular events in the region’s calendar apart.

Additionally, Dawlish Air Show will ‘share’ Saturday 22 August with Bournemouth Air Festival, an event it has coincided and shared display participants with previously, meaning that the tens of thousands of people who visit the town for the event should be confident that they will get to see all the exciting aircraft for which Dawlish Air Show is now synonymous.

Finally, low tide on Saturday 22 August will be at 3pm, immediately resolving some of the issues we experienced this year with a lack of room for spectators on the beach due to the high tide.

Is there of a possibility of sharing items with Shoreham, if so you could be having an amazing show, good luck to all the organising team.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Phil Standfield

Post by Phil Standfield »

Thought i read somewhere but can not find it that the Reds only display twice at most in a day. So if Dawlish,Shoreham,Bournemouth are all on the same day it could cause big problems for one Airshow and thats just naming 3 displays in the south that day who knows there may be other Airshows/Display's/Flypasts in other parts of the country.
Also along the same lines how many Display acts can/will Display twice or more.
I understand why Dawlish is when it is but have already got a niggling feeling as it's out west most stuff is likely to do Shoreham & Bournemouth thats if not up country somewhere else.
Just hope the Display setting of Dawlish draws in the acts.
Saying all this i will still be there. One of if not the best place to see displays is up the Hill.
Stan

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Phil Standfield wrote:Thought i read somewhere but can not find it that the Reds only display twice at most in a day. So if Dawlish,Shoreham,Bournemouth are all on the same day it could cause big problems for one Airshow and thats just naming 3 displays in the south that day who knows there may be other Airshows/Display's/Flypasts in other parts of the country.
Also along the same lines how many Display acts can/will Display twice or more.
I understand why Dawlish is when it is but have already got a niggling feeling as it's out west most stuff is likely to do Shoreham & Bournemouth thats if not up country somewhere else.
Just hope the Display setting of Dawlish draws in the acts.
Saying all this i will still be there. One of if not the best place to see displays is up the Hill.
Stan

Red Arrows have not appeared at Shoreham for years so you should be ok on that front. :smile:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

They haven't and - with the South Downs so close - they can't in any event.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Pablo wrote:They haven't and - with the South Downs so close - they can't in any event.

Having seen them display at Derwent, with opposition passes below me, I beg leave to doubt that.

John

adethorne

Post by adethorne »

I reckon

Bournemouth Thurs - Sun

Dawlish - Sat

Shoreham - Sun

Hopefully

POD

Post by POD »

The Reds don't display at Shoreham....

Dawlish and Bournemouth have worked together successfully in the past, sharing acts with no problems at all, so I don't foresee any problems in 2015.

:cool:
Tiger Tiger!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Very good news, here's to a cracking 2015.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Joe Spares

Post by Joe Spares »

One participant I liked to see at Dawlish this year, and will hopefully be booked again next year.....the Sun !! :biggrin:

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

RAF participation announced:

BBMF
Red Arrows
Typhoon
T2 role demo

Great news!

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Great additions there, will be fantastic to see at Dawlish!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Snood

Post by Snood »

Hi All,

How does it work at the Smugglers? Do you have to pre-book? and is it worth it? - i noticed last year nearly all the displays were aimed at the centre of the beach ... can you see much without a 300mm?

oohhh - lots of questions

I'm trying to find an alternative to the crush along the front last year.

thanks
Yarp.

seacat192

Post by seacat192 »

Just turn up on the day. The field is accessed from a gateway on the left just past the Smugglers - as you head away from town.

From memory, I think it was £2 to use the field last year.

Is it worth it.................................................................... OH YES :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Yep just go in and pay the very small fee (do make sure to put some money in the collectors' buckets when they come round too). Find your spot. A 300mm might not be enough to take close up shots, but most of the acts last year gave people up on the hill a bit of a show too, especially the Reds and the Canberra, so you won't be wanting for noise.

Snood

Post by Snood »

That's helpful - thanks. Can you park there as well?
Yarp.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Snood wrote:That's helpful - thanks. Can you park there as well?

Not sure, I get the train in from Exe. I think you can but it's sparse, but I'm sure someone else will have better info on that.

seacat192

Post by seacat192 »

There is a car park in a field adjacent to the Smugglers and the site where the helicopters operate from on the day of the Show. Never used it, so I don't know the cost.

I tend to park (considerately) in the housing estate a short walk from the hill.

Post by 5944 »

seacat192 wrote:There is a car park in a field adjacent to the Smugglers and the site where the helicopters operate from on the day of the Show. Never used it, so I don't know the cost.

I tend to park (considerately) in the housing estate a short walk from the hill.

The car park is quite small and fills up quickly. No idea how much it costs, but a mate parked there last year and it wasn't a lot. But the climb up to the top of the hill is pretty steep!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

5944 wrote:
seacat192 wrote:There is a car park in a field adjacent to the Smugglers and the site where the helicopters operate from on the day of the Show. Never used it, so I don't know the cost.

The car park is quite small and fills up quickly. No idea how much it costs, but a mate parked there last year and it wasn't a lot. But the climb up to the top of the hill is pretty steep!

Last year it was £5. The farmer provides a barbeque (at a price, obviously), portaloos (and a simple curtain for chaps, which helps queuing immensely!) and uses his 4WD to run the less mobile visitors up the hill. Top bloke!

John

POD

Post by POD »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
5944 wrote:

Last year it was £5. The farmer provides a barbeque (at a price, obviously), portaloos (and a simple curtain for chaps, which helps queuing immensely!) and uses his 4WD to run the less mobile visitors up the hill. Top bloke!

John

Hmmmm, well he makes a shed load of money and doesn't donate a single penny back to the air show.... So if you want the show to continue please donate in the official collection buckets... :wall:
Tiger Tiger!

SWATCO

Post by SWATCO »

I'm thinking of going this year by train, anyone got any info on what its like and how long it takes to get from the train station to Smugglers Hill? thanks!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

POD wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
5944 wrote:

John

Hmmmm, well he makes a shed load of money and doesn't donate a single penny back to the air show.... So if you want the show to continue please donate in the official collection buckets... :wall:

Yeah, I heard someone hint that to him. His response mentioned insurance, keeping the field free, his staff's time, portaloo hire, various other expenses I can't remember now. So I'm not clear what the balance of advantage is. I am clear I had a great day and a great view: and I wouldn't come at all if I had to watch from the town. It's only the hill that changes the perspective view that makes it worthwhile, anybody can to go an airshow where you look up at aeroplanes. Looking down is the trick.

I do see what you are getting at though. Your problem is that the show is visible from elsewhere than the seafront, and you can't change that. And somehow you are offended by the ability of someone who isn't part of your organisation to take advantage of that. Economists have a term for it, something like it being a public good because you can't prevent freeloading. A bit like Ireland being shielded by NATO during the Cold War while not paying for it.

However, your airshow is pretty successful. I heard the town ran out of icecream last year, and that at Exeter people were being advised not to take the train to Dawlish as the town was full. So maybe it's time you decided how to charge punters to limit demand a bit? Say a pound a head for a seafront pitch? You would then be taking maximum advantage from the area within your control, and you could stop worrying about aspects outside of that. Of course, defining seafront may be an issue. From up on the hill I could see a bit of a scrum on the beach as the tide came in last year. Tough to pay for a view and then get wet.

Speaking of wet, do you run the bucket round all the boats offshore, or are they freeloaders you can't reach as well? Focus on the positive and forget the people figuring the angles is my advice.

Having said all that, if you send a bucket round the hill, I'll chuck a pound in it - promise.

John

POD

Post by POD »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
POD wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
5944 wrote:

John

Yeah, I heard someone hint that to him. His response mentioned insurance, keeping the field free, his staff's time, portaloo hire, various other expenses I can't remember now. So I'm not clear what the balance of advantage is. I am clear I had a great day and a great view: and I wouldn't come at all if I had to watch from the town. It's only the hill that changes the perspective view that makes it worthwhile, anybody can to go an airshow where you look up at aeroplanes. Looking down is the trick.

I do see what you are getting at though. Your problem is that the show is visible from elsewhere than the seafront, and you can't change that. And somehow you are offended by the ability of someone who isn't part of your organisation to take advantage of that. Economists have a term for it, something like it being a public good because you can't prevent freeloading. A bit like Ireland being shielded by NATO during the Cold War while not paying for it.

However, your airshow is pretty successful. I heard the town ran out of icecream last year, and that at Exeter people were being advised not to take the train to Dawlish as the town was full. So maybe it's time you decided how to charge punters to limit demand a bit? Say a pound a head for a seafront pitch? You would then be taking maximum advantage from the area within your control, and you could stop worrying about aspects outside of that. Of course, defining seafront may be an issue. From up on the hill I could see a bit of a scrum on the beach as the tide came in last year. Tough to pay for a view and then get wet.

Speaking of wet, do you run the bucket round all the boats offshore, or are they freeloaders you can't reach as well? Focus on the positive and forget the people figuring the angles is my advice.

Having said all that, if you send a bucket round the hill, I'll chuck a pound in it - promise.

John

Hi John,

I get everything you are saying..the problem is, he is always using excuses on why he cant donate, but anyway, no need for me to go in to that......Yes, I know its THE place to view from, as a photog myself, the show has always been constructed and run with that in mind...The Smugglers field LZ for example is only really used as it provides great pics for you guys.... We have larger and easier landing sites available to use, but they wouldn't provide that wow factor.....So yes, I'd love to get a pound out of every person in the town..but it never happens...All I can do is appeal to you guys that really get a buzz from being there, to donate to us, otherwise we wont be able to continue....
As for the boats, yes we sent a collector out there in a rib last year and he took over a £1,000 from the assembled craft... :clap:

Enjoy the 2015 sow..it should be a good one :cool:

Kev
Tiger Tiger!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

I've every faith in enjoying this year's show., last year was my first visit and I was left with no doubt at all about coming back. I'm sure I can find some way of contributing to the local economy - pint in the Smugglers on the way out perhaps....

Cheers

John