Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Adam L.

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Post by Adam L. »

Mark Jefferies added to the lineup with an Extra 300
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

An impressive list has been released all the military re-enactments that will take place over the Airshow period. there will be re-enactments from WW1, WW2 (Pacific & NW Europe), Vietnam and GW1. There will even be German tanks/ armour taking part!

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Well ..guess it might be worth a visit to the battle zone,not entirely sure why an aviation show would be concentrating on ground warfare , but there you go!

I do fear that despite the impressive warbirds/classic jet participation and of course full backing from the RAAF,USAF participation may be well down on the previous show,and Avalon has always relied on strong USAF assets to bulk up the show(mainly due to the fact they were the only country with the "clout"on that side of the world to attend)!

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

AARDVARK wrote:I do fear that despite the impressive warbirds/classic jet participation and of course full backing from the RAAF,USAF participation may be well down on the previous show,and Avalon has always relied on strong USAF assets to bulk up the show(mainly due to the fact they were the only country with the "clout"on that side of the world to attend)!

I don't think it will be too bad. Earlier this year the Americans sent a V-22, F-16 and C-17 for the flying display and a C-17, C-130, V-22 and KC-135 for static. As far as I know airshow participation from the US will be even better next year and there are US aircraft based in and around the Australia/Pacific region, so I don't think the line-up will be too shabby. The RAAF will also be sending the largest contingent to Avalon in history. Worst comes to the worst I think we can just treat Avalon '15 as a historic airshow rather than a military one.

I've also been told that the RSAF Black Knights (x6 F-16) will be attending several regional events before they are stood down in August. With both Avalon and LIMA within a month of each other and well before training for National Day starts I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those events is on their radar.
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

AARDVARK wrote:Well ..guess it might be worth a visit to the battle zone,not entirely sure why an aviation show would be concentrating on ground warfare , but there you go!

I don't know if you've been to Australia before, but having witnessed ANZAC Day, The Australians take every opportunity to celebrate/ commemorate their "Diggers" and they are rightfully proud to celebrate them by showing how they conquered the enemy. Also the Royal Australian Armoured Corps Tank Museum is at Puckapunyal just North of Melbourne, hopefully a few of those Main Battle Tanks might come out...... http://www.armytankmuseum.com.au/i-vd.htm

Adam L. wrote:Earlier this year the Americans sent a V-22, F-16 and C-17 for the flying display and a C-17, C-130, V-22 and KC-135 for static.

Too which show did the USAF send these aircraft?

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Adam L. wrote:Earlier this year the Americans sent a V-22, F-16 and C-17 for the flying display and a C-17, C-130, V-22 and KC-135 for static.

Too which show did the USAF send these aircraft?[/quote]

Oops, that's some fairly important information I forgot to include in my post! It was the Singapore Airshow.
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Adam L. wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:

Oops, that's some fairly important information I forgot to include in my post! It was the Singapore Airshow.

Well in that case if the USAF sent assets to the Singapore Airshow then the RSAF would, in my mind return the "favour" by sending assets to a US based USAF held show not Avalon in Australia, However having seen the 126 & 130 Sqns at Avalon last time, I wouldn't object to seeing some RSAF fast jet assets or the Tengah based Black Knights, or if they really want to impress, how about a 111 Sqn asset :heyhey:

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Red Dragon wrote:
Adam L. wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:

Well in that case if the USAF sent assets to the Singapore Airshow then the RSAF would, in my mind return the "favour" by sending assets to a US based USAF held show not Avalon in Australia, However having seen the 126 & 130 Sqns at Avalon last time, I wouldn't object to seeing some RSAF fast jet assets or the Tengah based Black Knights, or if they really want to impress, how about a 111 Sqn asset :heyhey:

I'm not sure if the RSAF have supported Avalon before, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they send something on static - especially given that they've done two major military exercises down there in the past few months, and may have a few aircraft nearby anyway. The Black Knights won't do a USAF show. They're not full time and do only a couple of display flights per year, and we were clearly told that they had been re-instated to perform at the Singapore Airshow 2014, National Day 2015 and 1-2 regional events. I wouldn't be surprised if they went to Langkawi, and they might be able to do Avalon at the same time because they're so close together so they'd only need to do one season of training for the two events. So there's always a chance...

As for the Black Knights going to the USA to return the favour, I can't see it happening, especially as USAF participation is always a given in Singapore. It would be a bit like the Roulettes going to Oshkosh to thank the USAF for sending an F-16 to Avalon.
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Adam L. wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:
Adam L. wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:

I'm not sure if the RSAF have supported Avalon before, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they send something on static - especially given that they've done two major military exercises down there in the past few months, and may have a few aircraft nearby anyway. The Black Knights won't do a USAF show. They're not full time and do only a couple of display flights per year, and we were clearly told that they had been re-instated to perform at the Singapore Airshow 2014, National Day 2015 and 1-2 regional events. I wouldn't be surprised if they went to Langkawi, and they might be able to do Avalon at the same time because they're so close together so they'd only need to do one season of training for the two events. So there's always a chance...

As for the Black Knights going to the USA to return the favour, I can't see it happening, especially as USAF participation is always a given in Singapore. It would be a bit like the Roulettes going to Oshkosh to thank the USAF for sending an F-16 to Avalon.

The Singaporean Air Force have supported the show previously by sending Cougar equipped 126 Sqn based at Oakey in Queensland and PC-21 equipped 130 Sqn based in RAAF Pierce outside Perth in Western Australia and as a thank you to the Australian Government the Singapore Government provide examples to take part in the Airshow (however when I went to photograph the aircraft there were no aircrew near to them). I would not be surprised the RSAF might provide a flying display. It has been done before (by all accounts it was a cracking display) ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPRbVCGItQw or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEBfcyoR7iA
Last edited by Red Dragon on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Red Dragon wrote:The Singaporean Air Force have Cougar equipped 126 Sqn based at Oakey in Queensland and PC-21 equipped 130 Sqn based in RAAF Pierce outside Perth in Western Australia and as a thank you to the Australian Government the Singapore Government provide examples to take part in the Airshow (however when I went to photograph the aircraft there were no aircrew near to them). I would not be surprised the RSAF might provide a flying display. It has been done before (by all accounts it was a cracking display) ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPRbVCGItQw

I would expect they'll have something on static. However something about the RSAF is that they usually train for each display hundreds of times, no matter how simple it is - for National Day this year they rehearsed a straight-and-level flypast from 5 F-15s as many as four times per week for over two months! I think this year in terms of the flying display it will be the Black Knights or nothing at all, as I doubt the RSAF will be able to support their aerobatic team and solo displays at the same time. But you never know, the RSAF can be full of surprises...

By the way - if the USAF send one of their Pacific F-16s, it's nothing to get excited about. Te word "display" must be used very loosely indeed for their F-16 because more accurately it was a shouting man telling us we were about to see the most amazing thing in the world followed by a speck passing along the horizon and disappearing into a cloud, followed by a 10 minute wait before the process repeated. Every display at the Singapore Airshow was excellent except that one.
Adam Landau

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Red Dragon wrote:
AARDVARK wrote:Well ..guess it might be worth a visit to the battle zone,not entirely sure why an aviation show would be concentrating on ground warfare , but there you go!

I don't know if you've been to Australia before, but having witnessed ANZAC Day, The Australians take every opportunity to celebrate/ commemorate their "Diggers" and they are rightfully proud to celebrate them by showing how they conquered the enemy. Also the Royal Australian Armoured Corps Tank Museum is at Puckapunyal just North of Melbourne, hopefully a few of those Main Battle Tanks might come out...... http://www.armytankmuseum.com.au/i-vd.htm

Indeed they are rightfully proud..I lived in oz for 9yrs!!

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

MILITARY AIRCRAFT ANNOUNCED (I'm unsure which are flying and which are static):

AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE
KC-30 A
Hawk 127
King Air 350
E-7 Wedgetail
F/A-18 Hornet
F/A-18 Super Hornet
Globemaster III
Heron RPA
AP-3 Orion
C-130J Hercules
PC-9
Roulettes (x6 PC-9)

AUSTRALIAN NAVY
AS350 Squirrel
MRH-90 Taipan

AUSTRALIAN ARMY
ARH Tiger
MRH-90

PLUS:
F-35 (mock-up)
Ground displays

Foreign participation to be announced soon.
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Adam L. wrote:MILITARY AIRCRAFT ANNOUNCED (I'm unsure which are flying and which are static):

AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE
KC-30 A
Hawk 127
King Air 350
E-7 Wedgetail
F/A-18 Hornet
F/A-18 Super Hornet
Globemaster III
Heron RPA
AP-3 Orion
C-130J Hercules
PC-9
Roulettes (x6 PC-9)

AUSTRALIAN NAVY
AS350 Squirrel
MRH-90 Taipan

AUSTRALIAN ARMY
ARH Tiger
MRH-90

PLUS:
F-35 (mock-up)
Ground displays

Foreign participation to be announced soon.

:clap:

However in various postings on Facebook, mention has also been made of the Navy MH-90R appearing as well (I'm hoping).

As for Static v Flying - It'll be a conundrum! The above list will be a nice and vague idea for you of what to expect. In 2013 only the 'F' type Hornets flew while the 'A' type were on static, 2 C-17's were present with (if I remember correctly) a different one flying on Saturday to the one flying Sunday. However only 1 AP-3C was present at Avalon 2013 and that one was both the static display and flying participant over the weekend!

I'm hoping the role demo returns as I would like to finally see the 'Tiger' in action.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

I think the X2 C17's mentioned,X1 was RAAF and X1 USAF...
Yes it was a shame the army role demo wasn't present last time,that was always a highlight at previous shows.
It will be interesting to see what foreign participation is announced, as stated,Avalon always relies on USAF participation to some degree, especially the flying element,we shall see!

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

I've cut and pasted this from Scramble! http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?p=616978 scroll down the page to see it

C-17A
A41-206 RAAF (static, at the right hand end of the runway)
A41-211 RAAF (static, at the right hand end of the runway)
A41-210 RAAF (flew in landed and then out on Friday)

55153/HH C-17A USAF (was resident by itself on the far left hand end of the runway)

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

:yahoo: Well first invited participant has been announced :yahoo:

RAPTOR BARES ITS CLAWS

The world's most advanced stealth jet fighter, the F-22 Raptor, will bare its claws at the Australian International Airshow 2015.

A USA Air Force Raptor Display Team, consisting of two aircraft, two pilots and a full support crew will travel from its home base in Langley Virginia.

At Avalon the F-22 will perform a high energy handling display and be available for up close inspection on the ground.

This amazing hi-tech aircraft is one of the "must see" attractions at the coming airshow.

By any standards the Raptor is an awesome piece of military hardware.

In terms of speed, maneuverability, stealthiness and its ability to strike the enemy this state of the art jet is without peer.

The F-22 can deliver a fearsome array of ordinance including missiles, guided bombs and high powered cannon fire.

The aircraft’s shape and the use of radar absorbent materials make it difficult to detect and track by radar. It is also designed to have low radio, heat and noise emissions and is difficult to see with the naked eye.

The aircraft is powered by two massive Pratt and Whitney turbofans that each generate more than 15,000 kilograms of thrust.

The aircraft can "supercruise" at almost twice the speed of sound without engaging its afterburners.

With a price tag of about $400-million per unit, the Raptor is one of the most expensive warplanes ever built.

Its appearance at the Avalon-based event, like all other military aircraft scheduled to attend, will depend on operational demands at the time.

The F-22s will be just a part of a large and highly impressive United States contingent at the Avalon-based event.

http://www.airshow.com.au/airshow2015/PUBLIC/aircraft-display/military-aircraft.asp

Danny

Post by Danny »

Oh my! :shock:
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

I can feel a trip to Australia coming on here. :clap: :yahoo:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Just seen that the Firestars Aerobatic Team (previously the Red Bull Aerobatic Team of China) have Avalon on their 2015 schedule. They fly four XA-42s. The following static aircraft (mostly small sports planes) have now been added, all static:
Cessna Citation M2 (S)
Cessna Citation Sovereign (S)
Cessna Caravan (S)
x2 Cessna Corvalis TTx (S)
x2 Cessna 182 (S)
Cessna CJ14 (S)
Aeroshute (S)
Triton Sportcruiser (S)
Airbus A400M (S)
EC-135 (S)
Cirrus SR-22 (S)
Cirrus SR-20 (S)
TBM900 (S)
Falcon 7X (S)
Falcon 900LX (S)
Falcon 2000LX (S)
XL2 (S)
Harmony LSA (S)
A22 Foxbat (S)
Sling 2 (S)
Sling 4 (S)
Gulfstream G280 (S)
Gulfstream G650 (S)
Bell 407 (S)
Beech Baron 52 (S)
King Air 350 (S)
King Air 250 (S)
Diamond DA-40 (S)
Robinson R22 (S)
Robinson R44 (S)
Robinson R66 (S)
Super STOL (S)
Airvan 8 (S)
Airvan 10 (S)
Global Hawk UAV (S)
Fire Scout UAV (S)
Flamingo UAV (S)
Pilatus PC-12 (S)
Pilatus PC-21 (S)
S10 Motoglider (S)
Tecnam (S)
Pilatus PC-24 MOCK-UP (S)
Cirrus Vision SF50 MOCK-UP (S)
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Adam L. wrote:Pilatus PC-21 (S)

In the list for the 2013 show it stated a PC-21 (S) and that particular one ended up being 2 x Singaporean Air Force static examples....

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

It seems that an F-16C is at some point going to be added to the flying participation list

Buckle up for the high octane rush of the hottest show in town.

Experience the thrust and grunt of military heavy metal, the boom and zoom of vintage warbirds and the roar of attack helicopters.

Be amazed by the gravity-defying routines of world famous aerobatic teams.

AIRSHOW 2015 marks the centenary of the Gallipoli landings and a hundred years of military aviation.

No fewer than 16 World War One fighter aircraft will stage a simulated mass dogfight in the skies over Avalon.

Marquee names from the World War Two era, Spitfire, Mustang, Kittyhawk, Hudson, Boomerang and Catalina will also share centre stage.

So too will the pioneers of the jet age, Meteor, Sabre and Canberra bomber.

Modern day, supersonic combat jets including the R-22 Raptor, the Super Hornet and the F-16C Viper will also display their awesome prowess.

Heavy lift aircraft like the giant C-17 Globemaster and the C-130J Hercules will display their power and grace in a series of captivating flying displays.

See this tribute to the heroes of the sky plus a series of spectacular land battlefield re-enactments.

These ground warfare scenarios will be staged on a number of "historic combat zones" on a large tract to the east of the main Avalon runway.

Among the many re-enactments:

A World War One battle complete with trenches, period weaponry, heavy equipment and soldiers in authentic uniform.
The Light Horse Museum will host a captivating display including weapons, field artillery, photographs, memorabilia and a fully decked out field hospital.
A recreation of the Battle of Brellos Pass (Greece April 1941) complete with German and Australian artillery and assorted heavy vehicles including two German Panzer tanks.

In the sky or on the ground the Australian International Airshow 2015 will capture the spirit of Anzac like no other public event.

It all begins Friday 27 February with the amazing Night Alight spectacle.

Gates open at 2pm for a stunning series of flying displays that go well into the night with the explosive Wall of Fire finale.

Then on Saturday 28 February and Sunday 1 March gates open at 8am for this world famous aviation event.

It promises to be an incredible and totally unforgettable experience.

Question is, will it be the return of the Republic of Singapore Air Force, US Air Force (either Eielson based 18 AS 'AK' or 14 FS 'WW') or a different/ new regional F-16 user?

http://www.airshow.com.au/airshow2015/PUBLIC/program/index.asp

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

Red Dragon wrote:Question is, will it be the return of the Republic of Singapore Air Force, US Air Force (either Eielson based 18 AS 'AK' or 14 FS 'WW') or a different/ new regional F-16 user?

Or will it be six of them from a certain aerobatic team which, as I've always said, are not unrealistic participants.
Adam Landau

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Adam L. wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:Question is, will it be the return of the Republic of Singapore Air Force, US Air Force (either Eielson based 18 AS 'AK' or 14 FS 'WW') or a different/ new regional F-16 user?

Or will it be six of them from a certain aerobatic team which, as I've always said, are not unrealistic participants.

Fair comment, but I'm thinking of a solo, as I wouldn't want to be disappointed in the RSAF team/ solo not appearing

:smile:

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Are the Pacific demo team still operating?

Personally it will be great to see the RSAF viper as never seen that one before,tick off my list of viper demo's :)

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

AARDVARK wrote:Are the Pacific demo team still operating?

Personally it will be great to see the RSAF viper as never seen that one before,tick off my list of viper demo's :)

The RSAF don't have an F-16 demo, if they do something it will be set up especially for Avalon. None of the demo teams here in Singapore last more than a couple of shows. The Pacific team are operating, I saw them in February, but I found them extremely disappointing when compared with other F-16 demos, including that of the RSAF in 2010.
Adam Landau