Flying Legends 2015

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
MRTT

Flying Legends 2015

Post by MRTT »

Just thought I would start a thread, according to Facebook the following aircraft courtesy of the TFC have been confirmed

The Fighter Collection
Curtiss Hawk 75
Curtiss P-40F Warhawk
Curtiss P-40C Warhawk
Gloster Gladiator
Goodyear FG-1D Corsair
Grumman Wildcat
Grumman Bearcat
Hawker Nimrod Mk1
North American TF-51D Mustang 'Miss Velma'
Supermarine Spitfire FR.XIV
Supermarine Spitfire Vb

Other Operators
Supermarine Spitfire XL633
Red Bull Flying Bulls- B25J Mitchell
Red Bull Flying Bulls- F4U Corsair
Red Bull Flying Bulls- P38 Lightning
Last edited by MRTT on Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

iGol66

Re: Flying Legends 2015

Post by iGol66 »

Hope they get some of last year's cancellations to attend

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Interesting that the Hellcat is on there. I thought it had been sold.
Simon

neilos

Post by neilos »

iGol66 wrote:Hope they get some of last year's cancellations to attend

Fingers crossed the weather pays ball this year then.

FTS

Post by FTS »

wv383 wrote:Interesting that the Hellcat is on there. I thought it had been sold.

I was speaking to one of the engineers from TFC on the friday of last years show and he said that all of the 'heavies' were being sold off. He didn't elaborate further and it seems to have gone quiet on that front. I really hope that isn't the case.
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

iGol66

Post by iGol66 »

FTS wrote:
wv383 wrote:Interesting that the Hellcat is on there. I thought it had been sold.

I was speaking to one of the engineers from TFC on the friday of last years show and he said that all of the 'heavies' were being sold off. He didn't elaborate further and it seems to have gone quiet on that front. I really hope that isn't the case.

It would be a real shame if that was true.

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

Do they have vulcan at flying legends
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

st24

Post by st24 »

craig.mason wrote:Do they have vulcan at flying legends

No Craig. The very mention of non-prop engines causes mass hysteria amongst the legends massive. The Vulcan would probably result in ritual burning down of the museum as bare chested airshow groupies chant Vera Lynn songs and hum the 633sqn and dambusters theme tunes in rhythmic harmony whilst urinating on the burning wreckage of turbine engined monstrosities..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Nearly right, we'd just let them burn rather than wasting valuable bodily fluids. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

st24 wrote:The very mention of non-prop engines causes mass hysteria amongst the legends massive. The Vulcan would probably result in ritual burning down of the museum as bare chested airshow groupies chant Vera Lynn songs and hum the 633sqn and dambusters theme tunes in rhythmic harmony whilst urinating on the burning wreckage of turbine engined monstrosities..

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

st24 wrote:
craig.mason wrote:Do they have vulcan at flying legends

No Craig. The very mention of non-prop engines causes mass hysteria amongst the legends massive. The Vulcan would probably result in ritual burning down of the museum as bare chested airshow groupies chant Vera Lynn songs and hum the 633sqn and dambusters theme tunes in rhythmic harmony whilst urinating on the burning wreckage of turbine engined monstrosities..

Airshow groupies... Now where have I heard that before... :whistle: :wink:
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

I would have thought they would also have classic jets from the 50's & 60's there i have never been to this airshow before
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Nope, pure Warbirds at Legends, I believe there were a number of people not happy to see the USAF F-15 solo in 2007.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

craig.mason wrote:I would have thought they would also have classic jets from the 50's & 60's there i have never been to this airshow before

It's been asked before and it remains a very valid point to raise, to be fair. I'm not going to trawl back through participation lists to see what jets have turned up before, but I do wonder, for example, if CAF's Meteor was added whether a fuss would be kicked up, or even the ME262? Of course, if the organisers themselves decide not to book jets, that's entirely up to them.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

BrizeWatcher wrote:Nope, pure Warbirds at Legends, I believe there were a number of people not happy to see the USAF F-15 solo in 2007.

Yep. Worth it for the Heritage Flight.
Last edited by Flare Path on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

Tommy wrote:
craig.mason wrote:I would have thought they would also have classic jets from the 50's & 60's there i have never been to this airshow before

It's been asked before and it remains a very valid point to raise, to be fair. I'm not going to trawl back through participation lists to see what jets have turned up before, but I do wonder, for example, if CAF's Meteor was added whether a fuss would be kicked up, or even the ME262? Of course, if the organisers themselves decide not to book jets, that's entirely up to them.

As time moves on a number of jet aircraft could be considered legends in their own right, so it surprises me that this isn`t factored into the organisers thought process?

But like you say, it`s up to them.

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

“Flying Legends celebrates the classic age of piston powered aviation, when brilliant engineers and pilots opened a new era of travel, globalisation and exceptional progress.
We are proud to participate in keeping some of these aeronautical masterpieces flying and so too the memories of those who built, maintained, flew and fought in them.”

Stephen & Nick Grey
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

How many times!? :facepalm:

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

HuwJHopkins wrote:How many times!? :facepalm:

One more please...... :heyhey:

I`m just highlighting the point being that it`s just word play isn`t it.

Lets say your standard `joe public` arriving for the event, you may well ask why jets are not in attendance as today some jets would be considered legends?

I`m not arguing the point, just explaining from another perceptive that the name of the event is old and could be considered misleading to some.

iGol66

Post by iGol66 »

The Hellcat can be taken out of that participation list, it's been sold

wv383

Post by wv383 »

As I mentioned on my 16th January post when I queried it being on the list in the first place.
Simon

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Lets say your standard `joe public` arriving for the event, you may well ask why jets are not in attendance as today some jets would be considered legends?

And let's be honest, the inclusion of classic jets would improve the show exponentially.

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Slappywag wrote:

And let's be honest, the inclusion of classic jets would improve the show exponentially.

In your opinion perhaps (I happen to agree, I would love to see a few classic jets), but the show always seems pretty well attended and I doubt much of 'joe public' turns up expecting to see F16s.

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

In your opinion perhaps (I happen to agree, I would love to see a few classic jets), but the show always seems pretty well attended and I doubt much of 'joe public' turns up expecting to see F16s.

Perhaps not, but I'm sure it would be more appealing to a greater demographic if it did happen. A bit of excitement can do no harm.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Slappywag wrote:

That may be so in your opinion but for me jets at Legends would be a turn off and persuade me not to go, so no it won't improve the show exponentially. As many new faces it might bring in you stand the chance of losing the same number that don't want jets there.
Legends caters for the piston era of flying and lets be honest how many of Joe Public recognise Spits. Hurricanes, Lancasters etc remember and identify there role and daring escapades. Apart from the Vulcan how many jets would Joe Public identify or even feel any pride in them, unlike the above WW2 aircraft.
That to me is why it's called Flying Legends.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens