Tommy en España

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Tommy en España

Post by Tommy »

Hola!

My first aviation outing this year was to sunny Spain for four days on a tour to catch some TLP arrivals and other bits and bobs around Albacete. It was my first tour through a company and it's probably safe to say not my last - lots of great company, banter, wonderful stories of years gone by and a collective knowledge of the best places to be at certain bases is invaluable in making the trip far better than just going on my own.

The price? I haven't worked it all out yet, but with everything combined I doubt it would be that much more that the price of going to RIAT for four days. It's thoroughly recommended, at any rate.

It's also a new lens for me this year and I've been trying a couple of different things, so aside from my crappy photography, it would be great for some C&C if anyone has any.

A final point; I apologise for the half-arsed watermarks. I had an image "stolen" in December (It's surprising anyone would want to steal one of mine tbh :grin:) and I'd be keen for it not to happen again.

Anyway - On with the shots:

On Wednesday we flew to San Javier/Murcia which is also the Spanish Air Force Academy. Not that much goes on here aside from the CASA 101s & T-35s, but there are some great spots with the sun at your back, and we were lucky with a couple of guests:

Image by Tom D. Jones, on Flickr

It was then on to Albacete, where we spent the Thursday trying to catch some support equipment, guests and locals - it was very much a case of quality over quantity.

The star of the day was actually nothing to do with TLP - Albacete is home to the Airbus Helicopters Delivery Centre and, as luck would have it, we spotted a brand new Spanish Army Tigre doing an air test prior to acceptance by the Spanish Army. We jumped into the minibus and shot around to the other side of the airfield as quick as we could to find it sitting on the pan. We thought that might be it, but the two pilots soon walked out and climbed in.

After posing the machine for several minutes in the setting sunlight, the pilot gained some height before pushing a steep dive towards us and flying right over our heads, to a chorus of rather choice language shouted by the six of us on the ground. :rock:

The last two of the Tigre aren't terribly good, but hopefully they give a feel of that pass. I basically kept my finger on the shutter and ducked.

The next day TLP movements started proper, but the conditions were pretty crap in the morning getting gradually better as the day wore on. These were salvaged on the first memory card sweep.

14. Can anyone identify the pod carried by the Mirage? Looks like some sort of predecessor to the current designator pods.

15. Rafale complete with several mission marks.

And then finally that which we had been hoping for - no less than five Italian Navy Harriers rocked up in packs of a pair and a trio. It was really great to see and hear some Harriers flying again.

17. Presumably those battered and streamlined-as-a-turd pods on the wings are baggage pods or, I don't know... kegs?

And that's yer lot for now. Thanks for looking and many congratulations if you've got this far :hide: . I hope they were of interest to some.

Tom. :smile:

AndyXH558

Re: Tommy en España

Post by AndyXH558 »

Of course they are of interest. firstly its not Lakenheath and secondly I did wonder if its easy to get pics at Murcia. and some good pics at that.

Thank you for sharing and i may be picking your brain for good vantage points as im off there in August.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Nice set, the Italian Harriers/Av-8's are a nice touch.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Nice set there...

Bet the helicopter pass was a nice surprise!!

Dan

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Looks like a great trip.. All that sun reminds me of Nellis. Nice crisp pictures too! :clap:
Although I am getting a little tired of these... "it's not Lakenheath" jabs.... :whistle:

17. Presumably those battered and streamlined-as-a-turd pods on the wings are baggage pods or, I don't know... kegs?

Not trying to hijack your post.. But I saw the same pods at El Centro and was told they are Napalm as seen here.

ImageIMGP5704 by rod.mcdonough, on Flickr

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Love the P.180 in shot seven, it looks really smart in grey. Would love to see one in the UK this year... :heyhey:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Cracking set mate, glad you had a good time!

Andy

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Fumbles wrote:Not trying to hijack your post.. But I saw the same pods at El Centro and was told they are Napalm as seen here.

Just had a Google - so they are-ish. Mk.77 "incendiary canisters". A little more sinister than just luggage then!

PeterR wrote:Love the P.180 in shot seven, it looks really smart in grey. Would love to see one in the UK this year... :heyhey:

J'agree. I thought it odd that the locals got excited over the potential of an Avanti arriving - I soon saw why. One of only 3 of these kicking about, I think?

Thanks for the comments, guys. :smile:

Oh, and AndyXH558 - feel free to drop me a PM any time re. Murcia/San Javier and I'll let you know where we were. :up:

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Cracking set Tom, shame about a previous image of yours being pinched, but otherwise a brilliant set of images and plenty of types that would be brilliant to see at UK air shows!
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

ErikNZ

Post by ErikNZ »

Tommy wrote:
Fumbles wrote:Not trying to hijack your post.. But I saw the same pods at El Centro and was told they are Napalm as seen here.

Just had a Google - so they are-ish. Mk.77 "incendiary canisters". A little more sinister than just luggage then!

Lovely shots in this thread - absolutely love the super scooper! And those Harriers!

Empty bomb canisters are also frequently converted into travel pods, so I'd go with that. I think it would be unlikely for TLP participants to show up loaded with live Napalm canisters!
(Then again, anything is possible.)

Tatan63

Post by Tatan63 »

Tommy wrote:
14. Can anyone identify the pod carried by the Mirage? Looks like some sort of predecessor to the current designator pods.
:smile:

This is a pod ATLIS II. Yes it is the predecessor of the PDL-CT but still in use.....

http://florent1973.free.fr/FrenchAirWin ... litsII.htm

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

A great set of shots :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

Like the grey Italian Navy pusher , only ever seen airforce.

Good selection of shots there.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

PeterR wrote:Love the P.180 in shot seven, it looks really smart in grey. Would love to see one in the UK this year... :heyhey:

Maybe Cosford could sort that out. :whistle:

The Tigre and P.180 are superb, Tom. :up:

SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

Would the rotor wash affect the Flir etc 's image , being just above the cockpit on the Tigre.
Vibration , heat , downwash etc?

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Lovely set. Murcia is a great place isnt it, just wished I have been there when there landing the other end!

Now then Albacete for the life of me I cant work out why you get hassled at the civy terminal, hassled if your too close to either approach but they seem to leave you alone and play at the Airbus factory :dizzy:
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

stillcrazy1

Post by stillcrazy1 »

Ref the P180, I was returning from the US in, I think, 1983, flying AA from DFW to Gatwick. I sat next to a charming young(ish) Italian guy who was looking forward to getting home, as he had spent several months in the US.
We talked, and topic got onto aircraft. It turned out he worked for Piaggio in the design team for for the P180, and had been working in the NASA wind tunnel.
He pulled his briefcase down from the rack, and we spent a few happy hours (being suitably refreshed by a very kind stewardess) looking though his slides and design data.
Good memories, and it was good to see one flying at RIAT a few years later.