newbie question

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
wellsie82@gmail.com

newbie question

Post by wellsie82@gmail.com »

Hi all,

Buying advance tickets later today & never been to Cosford before.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a list/link of the flying times for last year? Keen to know the start/end times.

Also, I understand the runway there is small, what will operate out of the base on the day?

Thanks in advance. :clap:

Timc

Re: newbie question

Post by Timc »

Usually the actual flying programme starts at 11.45am and goes through to 5.30 - 6pm.

As for what will be based at Cosford it's usually single/twin engined props and helicopters.

PeterR will be able to give a more definitive answer! :smile:

wellsie82@gmail.com

thank your very much - very helpful tim

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

Hopefully the war birds will operate from cosford and are normally lined up along the crowdline so it's like an extra static line. The fast jets and heavies will operate from elsewhere. They usually do a Jaguar taxi along the runway at about 10/ 10.30 and the large model flying before the main flying display starts at about 11.30ish. With how many items they have this year timings may be different. But as previously mentioned PeterR is your man in the know. :up:
Last edited by alpha586 on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

In recent years, the flying display has been official scheduled to begin at 1200L and end at 1730L. This year the timings will likely need to be extended as we're getting a lot more aircraft in! At the moment, the tentative plan is for the flying display to start at 1140L and finish at 1740L. During the morning there will be the Jaguar taxi demonstration, large model aircraft displays and a handful of VIP aircraft arrivals. This year we're keeping the our public entrance on the south side open for much longer (bringing cars across the runway) so there won't be any arrivals of display aircraft on Sunday morning - apart from the BBMF.

Regards to runway operations, as previous posters have outlined, our runway length does add more complications for us. Warbirds, light aircraft and helicopters all operate from RAF Cosford, and then fast jets will operate from elsewhere. I think the largest flying display aircraft we're going to have on the ground this year will be the BBMF C-47 Dakota. Most of the flying display aircraft are parked infront of the crowd on the grass runway so are visible throughout the day.

wellsie82@gmail.com

thanks alpha & peter. can't wait for this - i'll keep an eye out on the updates between now & then - looks like it'll be a good one with waddo not going ahead :cool:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

PeterR wrote:In recent years, the flying display has been official scheduled to begin at 1200L and end at 1730L. This year the timings will likely need to be extended as we're getting a lot more aircraft in! At the moment, the tentative plan is for the flying display to start at 1140L and finish at 1740L. During the morning there will be the Jaguar taxi demonstration, large model aircraft displays and a handful of VIP aircraft arrivals. This year we're keeping the our public entrance on the south side open for much longer (bringing cars across the runway) so there won't be any arrivals of display aircraft on Sunday morning - apart from the BBMF.

Regards to runway operations, as previous posters have outlined, our runway length does add more complications for us. Warbirds, light aircraft and helicopters all operate from RAF Cosford, and then fast jets will operate from elsewhere. I think the largest flying display aircraft we're going to have on the ground this year will be the BBMF C-47 Dakota. Most of the flying display aircraft are parked infront of the crowd on the grass runway so are visible throughout the day.

I would be in favour of scrapping the large model aircraft and bringing forward the flying display to 1000-1030 - something to consider next year.

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

With the travel issues cosford seems to suffer from I think bringing the flying display forward would annoy a great many fans caught up in jams. The large models is also something of a tradition at Cosford allowing those of us who have seen it all before a chance to have a gander at the static and get a nice spot on the crowd line ready for the main event.
The changes to the timings this year are purely to accomadate the volume of displays. Hopefully this year will be the start of a revolution at Cosford in terms of international involvement, but the future of Waddington and indeed Cosford itself are still to be decided. If Waddington does return, I can't see Cosford getting this level of international support in future years. If this happens I don't think they could justify getting rid of the models and bringing the flying forward.
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

The large model display is enjoyable and I am impressed with the size of the aircraft they bring - I wouldn't want to find space for them at home! However, the feature is archaic. The format is copied year-on-year and the aircraft shown are always the same. In addition - with all due respect to the members of the association - it isn't a model airshow. It's an RAF airshow and I firmly believe that 'real aircraft' should be the showcase - I would be disappointed to hear they turned down participants because they couldn't accommodate them in the flying display.

The profile of the event will significantly increase this year and we have to be wise enough to make changes going forward.