Site layout for a newbie

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Lightningkid70

Site layout for a newbie

Post by Lightningkid70 »

As a first timer to the show I'm unfamiliar to getting around.
Has anybody got a PDF of last years site layout? I guess there would be some similarities with this years.
The site doesn't currently have a layout yet, I know I am impatient!
I'm travelling up from London on the train, but train times at best allow me to arrive at 11:45 thereabouts. I'm mainly keen on seeing the Cosford based static jets and the TSR-2 in the static. Am I likely to see some Jaguars prowling about?
The only flying I'd be interested in would be the new Typhoon BoB scheme and the new Belgian F-16, so I'm prepared to do a lot of walking about.
Is it all worth me booking my train tickets from London?

Any help would be most appreciated thanks!
Martin

Slappywag

Re: Site layout for a newbie

Post by Slappywag »

Flying display is due to start at 1130L this year, so unless you're really unlucky, you should be able to see what you want in the display. Cosford is a relatively small site compared to the 'bigger' shows, so you should have no problems in that regard negotiating your way between the flying and static at your own leisure. :up:

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

The raf museum part of the site is well laid out and a fairly short walk round compared to say RIAT

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

You can't really get lost as it's not that large.My advice would be get their early,walk around a bit before the flying display starts,watch the flying display but it's probably not worth the money if you are only bothered about a couple of aircraft.After the flying display has finished do some more walking around.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Martin,

The 2015 Site Plan is having the final adjustments done to it by the RAF Cosford graphics department at the moment. It will hopefully be finalised and uploaded to the website in the next week or so.

As others have said, the RAF Cosford Air Show has a very intimate showground compared to some other airshows and is easy to navigate. The static display aircraft spread across the site, from the SAR Zone on Apron 2 (formerly the Arena) all the way down to the Belize display in the DOTA (past Hangar Four). All of our static aircraft are parked in themed areas this year, which will hopefully add some context to the images captured on the day. Of course you've also got the RAF Museum on site which is well worth a visit if you've not been before. I must also mention the Victory Village, we're putting a lot of effort into our VE70 commemorative area which will have an array of WWII aircraft, vehicles and re-enactment groups along with period entertainment and a vintage tea-room. It's the perfect location to relax after the flying display in the evening with entertainment running until 7pm.

The Jaguars will again be on the prowl, with their timings now coming as part of the main flying display rather than a side-show before it started. At the moment I think it'll be a pair of grey GR3 airframes but this may change. On the topic of Jaguars, 2015 may be the last ever chance to see the black Jaguar GR1 airframes so photograph them while you can..!

As discussed in the main thread, the flying display will run from 1130L - 1730L and timings will be available on the day in the souvenir programme. It's crammed full of new and exciting displays to get excited about. And I'm bias, but for an £18.00 admission (when purchased as a combined rail/air show entry ticket) it's well worth it!

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

Thanks PeterR for all that info especially regarding the Jaguars, also thanks everyone else for the help.

I have visited the museum a couple of times, but the draw for me is to see a few of the airframes from the museum out in the open. Look forward to seeing what it's like when I arrive. Should be leaving about 18:45 so I should have plenty of time for a good look around. Looking forward to it as it's my first time for the show.
Only thing is, I have tried looking online to purchase a combined ticket to no avail. So any manned rail station in the UK will be able to sell me one then?

Cheers everybody!

Martin

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

It's only the tsr2 outside this year, which is a very rare sight!
And yes any manned train station should be able to get your tickets sorted.

globemaster50

Post by globemaster50 »

Great news about the Jaguars. I've always missed them in the past due to being stuck in traffic so looking forward to this!

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:It's only the tsr2 outside this year, which is a very rare sight!
And yes any manned train station should be able to get your tickets sorted.

Thought the VAAC Harrier was due in the static this year ?

One question about museum aircraft being in the static. Obviously a big job moving aircraft around as other airframes will need to be moved out the way, so when does this happen ? Guessing Friday and Monday, but will it be outside of museum opening hours ?, thinking about visiting the museum Monday after the show.

Paul