Traveling in 2015

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Mooshie1956

Traveling in 2015

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Now that the new season is getting close, thoughts turn to which shows to go to this year. If I decide on my annual pilgrimage to Cosford, I'm seriously thinking about by passing Cosford and going to Telford and using the train back to Cosford. What's the parking like at at Telford and of course the service. Also one for the locals what station would be near or best to use on the Wolverhampton side and if this is at all useful.
I'm not sure I can do with all the hassle of trying to get out nor listen to that awful noise they call music that blares out over the tanoy's while being stuck in the car.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

PeterR

Re: Traveling in 2015

Post by PeterR »

The train is an excellent way to get in and from the show, as you said avoiding the traffic. Details on increased train services on Sunday 14th June will be announced soon hopefully (we are working closely with all providers). Wolverhampton Station has a fair amount of car parking, as does Telford Central.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Any indication some of the large fields near the base could be used for parking? It may reduce some of the on-base congestion.

IanKeele

Post by IanKeele »

As it is advance ticket only, will the joint train ticket/admission be running this year, if so be available on the day or just in advance?

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Once all the details are finalised the information will be available on our website and promoted in the media also. Travelling by rail is a great stress-free way to get to and from the show and as I said before I'd highly recommend it. After a very positive meeting with representatives from the rail industry today, I am confident that the service to the show this year should be better than ever!

globemaster50

Post by globemaster50 »

Any news on when the train details will be published please?

Thanks
David :smile:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

They *should* be on sale this week from all manned UK railway stations. We're awaiting confirmation from the rail operators and when we have news it will be posted on our Facebook page. When you purchase a combined rail/air show ticket, the air show admission element is discounted to £18.00. But if you buy a combined ticket, you must arrive at the show by train or else the ticket is not valid. We should have news on the rail timetables in early May.

G-AMPY

Post by G-AMPY »

A saving of £4, not really worth the hassle of not having your car. :down:

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

G-AMPY wrote:A saving of £4, not really worth the hassle of not having your car. :down:

Say that when its taken you 2 hours to get from one end of the airfield to t'other
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

Just a quick question now that combined Rail & Entry tickets are available:

I'm going to try and buy my combined rail and show ticket in the London area tomorrow but I fully expect the staff at my local station not to have a clue about the discounted fare (they often struggle with anything non-standard).

Does anyone know exactly what I need to ask them for (e.g. what code it'll be on their computer?)

Many thanks
Daniel

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

I don't have the full retail brief to hand, but if they search for "Cosford Air Show" on the station system they should find it. :smile:

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

Many thanks for the quick reply, will see how I get on.

I've got a significant number of Rail Vouchers from a previously delayed journey, so hopefully they'll let me use these as payment as well. :)

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

Tickets successfully purchased at Cannon Street (after telling the clerk how to spell Cosford).
They just say 'Cosford Air Show' as the destination.

Many thanks for your help, really looking forward to it. Cosford has been on my to-do list for a long while, and this year's lineup looks fantastic.

Regards
Daniel

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

Just booked my ticket from Wolverhampton train station. all I got is tickets that say Wolverhampton to cosford just them 2 tickets out and return. is this all I need I thought I would get an entry ticket even if printed on a train ticket have I got all I need or do I have to back. can anybody else who has booked please confirm.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

Chloejane

Post by Chloejane »

westhamfan84 wrote:Just booked my ticket from Wolverhampton train station. all I got is tickets that say Wolverhampton to cosford just them 2 tickets out and return. is this all I need I thought I would get an entry ticket even if printed on a train ticket have I got all I need or do I have to back. can anybody else who has booked please confirm.

I got my tickets from Wolverhampton station last Thursday, I however got two tickets, Wolvo to Cosford (Out & Return) but then I got given a third ticket saying Cosford to Cosford Airshow.
Did you not get the third ticket at all? if you can, go back to the station and explain that you wanted the discounted tickets for Cosford Airshow - they should be able to help you from there if you take the original tickets you bought.

Sorry I can't give any more help :)

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

No i just got 2 tickets but I have looked at them again and they say Wolverhampton to cosford airshow on them with the price of the 22.40 on them.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

The ticket (printed on the standard orange rail ticket) must have "Cosford Air Show" as the destination. :smile:

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

Thanks for confirming that peter mine does have cosford air show as the destination so I will stop worrying I was just a little shocked when did not get seperate ticket.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

I think there are two different ways in the National Rail ticket system to do it. Either you'll have a ticket with XXXXX to Cosford Air Show (full price of rail ticket plus £18.00) or you'll be issued an extra ticket with Cosford to Cosford Air Show (costing £18.00).

As soon as we receive confirmation of the schedule for extra rail services I'll be sure to post it on here.

whatelycw

Post by whatelycw »

So unlike the Airshow tickets, the combined rail+show ticket can be bought on the day at a manned station ticket office?

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Arriva Trains Wales timetable announced... http://cosfordairshow.co.uk/train.php :up:

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

As the trains are looking like they may be a bit of a nightmare and I have an offer of a lift I was wondering which route is the best from Wolverhampton? Is it better to take the M54 or to go through Wolverhampton? Also what time would people with experience of travelling in from Wolvo aim to leave to avoid any major queues?
Many thanks in advance :up:
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

Question for Peter and or any others who've used rail to get to the show before.

Cosford website shows Virgin Trains as one of the train operators that service Cosford. Obviously, they don't normally stop there (terminating at Wolverhampton), so do they usually run special trains between Euston-Cosford for air show visitors, or will they still require a change at Wolverhampton?

I've got to get back to London in the evening, and if I can get a direct train, it will make life much easier.

EDIT: After looking at http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ for the 14th I may have answered my own question, it's showing only one Virgin Train calling at Cosford, a Shrewsbury-Euston service departing Cosford at 1554.
Obviously this isn't much good for anyone wanting to see the end of the flying display, so are there likely to be any more added, or is this it?

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

We were hoping that all of Virgin's Shrewsbury > London services would be stopping at Cosford on the day, with Virgin even hinting at the possibility of putting on a dedicated shuttle service too. Sadly this didn't come to fruition, and at the moment as you said it's just the one service stopping. London Midland are still yet to release their timetable, but I'd say changing at Wolverhampton will give you the best range of services to Cosford. Arriva's increased timetable is already on our website.

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

Thanks for the info Peter. Hopefully the Arriva and LM services will be frequent enough to Wolverhampton that it won't be an issue.