Pitts Special
Spitfire (BBMF) – flypast
Hurricane (BBMF) – flypast

Collection Aircraft
WW2: Hawker Sea Hurricane & Gloster Gladiator
Sole Survivors: Hawker Tomtit, Blackburn B2, and Avro Tutor
Classic Racers: Percival Mew Gull, DH88 Comet
Lympne Trials: A.N.E.C. II, Hawker Cygnet, English Electric Wren
Edwardians*: Avro Triplane, Bristol Boxkite, Blackburn Monoplane, Deperdussin, and Bleriot

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/classicevening/

Note the Comet down for an appearance! :smile:

hmeasures

Re: Classic Evening Airshow - 23rd May

Post by hmeasures »

Anyone else contemplating a mad dash from Duxford...?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

:grin:

What a day that'd be... :love: :love:

benji1867

Post by benji1867 »

was just thinking the same

Ben

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Now there's an idea!

benji1867

Post by benji1867 »

as long as the weather allows for an actual sunset

Ben

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Can you purchase on the day?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

You can pay on the gate.

timuss

Post by timuss »

A mad dash from Duxford now that sounds like a plan :biggrin:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Visiting Pitts will be Lauren Richardson's. (G-BKDR)

There's also scheduled to be a visit by a 'Track Caterpillar R2' vehicle.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

The Shuttleworth Facebook page have just announced that they plan on a Comet/BBMF Spit/BBMF Hurricane flypast!
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Pringles wrote:The Shuttleworth Facebook page have just announced that they plan on a Comet/BBMF Spit/BBMF Hurricane flypast!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

:lol: :lol:

What Harry said....

timuss

Post by timuss »

Its going to be a quick turn around from Duxford.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Well looks like my evening plans have been cancelled
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

What time is the show expected to end?

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Wissam24 wrote:What time is the show expected to end?

Called Old Warden yesterday and they said all is wrapped up by around 8pm. So for me it's mad dash from Duxford just before 5 to see the Comet and friends. Anything after that is a bonus. :smile:

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Anyone help with a time for the comet spit hurri flypast. Might help me on the Duxford Dash :)

Post by 5944 »

BBMF say on their website they're due at 18.38, so around then I would've thought.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Ah that's a great help, thanks. So a bit of breathing room

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I made the dash from Duxford and got there 10 minutes from the start of the flying. And I couldn't have been happier. Probably the nicest venue I've ever been to, such a relaxed, chilled out atmosphere, and oh my word the planes! What a fantastic collection, so fantastically flown. The Comet formation was simply breathtaking

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Left the Duxford flight line at 17.30 by Sally b. Got back to car, out of gates, drove to old warden and parked up at 18.30 just in time for the comet, spit and Hurricane. Didn't leave till 21.30 and got home at 23.30 and had been up since 05.20 hence not going anywhere today

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Thanks for the info on the Comet formation :clap: Left Duxford just as the Mustangs started to run in and got to Old Warden in time to see the Hurricane and the Hind display, so I caught the formation flypasts as well :yahoo:
What a place Old Warden is, just the most fantastic setting. Not my last visit for certain. :clap: :rock:

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Interesting to read the comments here from people who have not been to Old Warden before.

Yes, it is a wonderful place and I am fortunate to live less than thirty miles away so I am able to visit quite often. I have to say I was a little disappointed by Saturday's show. But for the strange combination of the Comet / BBMF combined flypasts I was left feeling it was all a bit thin. With a gate price higher than Duxford's VE day and a show that had probably less than half the content of last year's Shuttleworth Pagent (for example) I wonder if they are getting the balance right? Or is it a case of an upward (downward?) spiral of attendance figures and prices.

Even for SVAS members like me the cost of an evening show has gone up by 33% this year. I was left with the feeling that maybe I will miss out one or two. If many do the same then their net revenue will drop rather than increase.

I'm sure if you are dedicated enough to attend Duxford and OW on the same day and have not experienced Shuttleworth before then it would seem great. However realistically that is a handful of true enthusiasts rather than a significant proportion of the gate money.

Sorry to sound negative but I hope they can find the right balance.

Wonderful as it is to see the Comet fly I do really worry about its suitability for that airfield. We saw two aborted landings on Saturday before it was successfully landed from the "wrong" end and that used the vast majority of the runway. It would be terrible to see it damaged or worse still anybody come to harm as a result of pressure to fly it in less than ideal conditions.

Chris

TheDuck

Post by TheDuck »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:Interesting to read the comments here from people who have not been to Old Warden before.

Yes, it is a wonderful place and I am fortunate to live less than thirty miles away so I am able to visit quite often. I have to say I was a little disappointed by Saturday's show. But for the strange combination of the Comet / BBMF combined flypasts I was left feeling it was all a bit thin. With a gate price higher than Duxford's VE day and a show that had probably less than half the content of last year's Shuttleworth Pagent (for example) I wonder if they are getting the balance right? Or is it a case of an upward (downward?) spiral of attendance figures and prices.

Even for SVAS members like me the cost of an evening show has gone up by 33% this year. I was left with the feeling that maybe I will miss out one or two. If many do the same then their net revenue will drop rather than increase.

I'm sure if you are dedicated enough to attend Duxford and OW on the same day and have not experienced Shuttleworth before then it would seem great. However realistically that is a handful of true enthusiasts rather than a significant proportion of the gate money.

Sorry to sound negative but I hope they can find the right balance.

Wonderful as it is to see the Comet fly I do really worry about its suitability for that airfield. We saw two aborted landings on Saturday before it was successfully landed from the "wrong" end and that used the vast majority of the runway. It would be terrible to see it damaged or worse still anybody come to harm as a result of pressure to fly it in less than ideal conditions.

Chris

Shuttleworth is my favourite airshow venue. I've never been left disappointed because of the proximity of the displays in contrast to other shows and also the different formations of aircraft they present, away from the Comet and BBMF, the Wren, Cygnet and ANEC II were a joy to watch together and the Boxkite and the Martlet were an interesting formation to see.

With the cost, hosting what I assume has to the largest flying private collection of aircraft in the UK, by quite some margin I'd expect, is never going to get cheaper. It is only going to get more and more expensive. I think they way to attract people is to have a couple of aircraft that otherwise you wouldn't see so close up, recently the Nimrod and further back, the Cosmic Wind spring to mind.

With the Comet, it does seem to have a pretty big reputation, however I cannot see Shuttleworth ever flying an aircraft they didn't have confidence of relative safety in, no historic aircraft is ever going to be 100% certainty. There is no one who would rather see an aircraft in the air with a pilot who wasn't confident in the safety of the aircraft. If on the back of this they put more restrictions on the aircraft then so be it, I trust their judgment with regards to flying or not flying the aircraft.

I agree that Duxford had a lot more aircraft on display, but after going to the two airshows' I enjoyed Shuttleworth more.