Military Pageant Sunday 5th July

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth

Military Pageant Sunday 5th July

Post by 5944 »

Not sure how it fits in with the WW1 theme, but it's just been announced that the Vulcan will be appearing. Bearing in mind it lists a BBMF Spitfire for a flypast, could this be a full display by the Vulcan?

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/militaryww1/

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Re: Military Pageant Sunday 5th July

Post by Hatstand »

5944 wrote:Not sure how it fits in with the WW1 theme, but it's just been announced that the Vulcan will be appearing. Bearing in mind it lists a BBMF Spitfire for a flypast, could this be a full display by the Vulcan?

Blimey. It does imply a proper display, doesn't it?

That's a mouth-watering prospect...
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Surprised the RAF Chinook is not shown on the website? :question:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Hatstand wrote:
5944 wrote:Not sure how it fits in with the WW1 theme, but it's just been announced that the Vulcan will be appearing. Bearing in mind it lists a BBMF Spitfire for a flypast, could this be a full display by the Vulcan?

Blimey. It does imply a proper display, doesn't it?

That's a mouth-watering prospect...

From their Facebook page today: "Vulcan displaying at the Military Pageant airshow on 5 July. Excellent if you like your aircraft large and super noisy"

So I would say it is indeed a display.

:biggrin:

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:Surprised the RAF Chinook is not shown on the website? :question:

Chinook can't make it mate, real bummer.. :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

I notice that this year, the displays seem to be listed as starting at 2pm. Did this happen at the season premiere?

Seems like a bit of a rip-off, upping the prices, and cutting the display by an hour. I'd like to visit this year, but this makes it a harder decision than it should be!

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

Pretty sure most of their main airshows have always started around 2pm (except evening events)...and looking at photo time stamp on mine seems to back this up.

Peter

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

I thought they always used to list start times as 1pm. The LAA air show is listed as even later, starting at 2.30.

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

The motorcar parade tends to start at either 13:15 or 13:30 then the flying around 2pm, looking at 2013 (went to 9 shows) all started flying around 2pm. Only went twice last year and these both started around 2pm....

Peter

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Private Custard wrote:I thought they always used to list start times as 1pm. The LAA air show is listed as even later, starting at 2.30.

2pm is the normal start time for air shows at Shuttleworth, they usually have a vehicle parade before the flying starts. Shows quite often run til 6pm if the weather is good, and the Pageant last year didn't finish until 7pm!

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Participation list as it stands:

Visiting Aircraft
Avro Vulcan
Spitfire XI
Yak 50 Aerobatics
Spitfire (BBMF) – flypast

Collection Aircraft
Bristol F2b

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

It has been posted on Key that the Snipe and Albatross from New Zealand are hoped to display on the 5th.

'The Snipe and Albatros left Auckland in a container last week and should be with us by the end of June. Thanks to the Shuttleworth Collection, they will be reassembled at Old Warden by Martin and Steve of Flying Restorers and hopefully be ready for the WW1 evening (sic) planned for 5th July.
There is a very real chance of seeing at least 5 of Tommy Sopwith’s types at the show with the Snipe and a Sopwith Dove (2 seat Camel) joining the resident aircraft.'

http://ww1aviationheritagetrust.co.uk/

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

The Blenheim is also booked, could be one of the shows of the year if weather is kind.

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

itfcscott wrote:The Blenheim is also booked, could be one of the shows of the year if weather is kind.

Agreed, it's shaping up into something a bit special.

I was hoping we'd see the Blenheim "up close" and "Old Warden style" this season - and behold! There it is! And at the same show as the Vulcan and other tasty visitors. Add a bunch of the resident regulars/favourites, a WW1 tank on the ground, possibly the Snipe and Albatros, and a "poppy-drop" by the F2b... if the weather is good, it will be fully awesome...!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Lets just hope the Vulcan display incorporates the dog leg, particularly off the gear down pass, otherwise a great opportunity gone I fear. :shock:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

County1884

Post by County1884 »

Reckon this could be a sold out Old Warden, Cracking line up... :clap:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

County1884 wrote:Reckon this could be a sold out Old Warden, Cracking line up... :clap:

I've never heard of an Old Warden show being 'sold out' :question:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

st24

Post by st24 »

AlexC wrote:
County1884 wrote:Reckon this could be a sold out Old Warden, Cracking line up... :clap:

I've never heard of an Old Warden show being 'sold out' :question:

Indeed, please don't put ideas in their heads to go down this advance tickets only nonsense... :wall:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

st24 wrote:Indeed, please don't put ideas in their heads to go down this advance tickets only nonsense... :wall:

I wouldn't want to see it being advance tickets only, but they are a bit cheaper, and you can get them up to the Saturday before the show so you should have a reasonable idea of what sort of weather to expect.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Do earlybird ticket rates apply to this event?

To quote this Saturday's Edwardian Evening Picnic page:

Ticket price includes entry to the Collection, the Swiss Garden and the Play area. Please book online below (early bird price £22.50 until 9.00 15 June, then £26.) or on the day.

Yet to quote the Military Pageant page:

Ticket price includes entry to the Collection, the Swiss Garden and the Play area. Please book online (below) [£22.50] or on the day.

So I assume that I still have until the 4th July to buy advance tickets at £22.50, and not have them unexpectedly racked up to £26?

:hypno:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

tommo999 wrote:Do earlybird ticket rates apply to this event?

To quote this Saturday's Edwardian Evening Picnic page:

Ticket price includes entry to the Collection, the Swiss Garden and the Play area. Please book online below (early bird price £22.50 until 9.00 15 June, then £26.) or on the day.

Yet to quote the Military Pageant page:

Ticket price includes entry to the Collection, the Swiss Garden and the Play area. Please book online (below) [£22.50] or on the day.

So I assume that I still have until the 4th July to buy advance tickets at £22.50, and not have them unexpectedly racked up to £26?

:hypno:

I made an email enquiry earlier in the year, regarding this. The advance tickets are available upto midday, of the day prior to the event. That applied to all events, though I probably wouldn't leave it that late myself. Hope that helps.

Phil

FTS

Post by FTS »

I inquired yesterday with the SVAS chairman about the possibility of the event selling out, etc. SVAS members don't get discounted online tickets, which Duxford offer as of this year for FOD members, so I have to get my tickets on the day. He's assured me that IF they 'sell out', SVAS members will still be permitted entry with a ticket they can buy discounted on the day, but please arrive early. He also said that they will look at adding an SVAS members discount option for buying advanced tickets to the website.
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

FTS wrote:He's assured me that IF they 'sell out', SVAS members will still be permitted entry with a ticket they can buy discounted on the day, but please arrive early.

After last years "sold-out" debacle at Duxford, where Friends of Duxford were in a similar position for the "Two Lancs" airshow... (they only got their discount at the gate, and therefore never bought advance tickets... and were informed of the sell-out too late to buy advance tickets... and were told to take their chances along with everyone else for the limited number of remaining tickets on the day... -_-)

...I decided not to chance it here. Despite being a SVAS member, I've already bought my ticket and waived my discount.

Good news if they make it so we can get the SVAS discount when buying advance/online tickets. I hope they can do it.

FTS

Post by FTS »

The Duxford 2 Lancs situation for FOD members is exactly what I was expecting with SVAS for this show, hence me asking. I'd hoped that I could pick up a ticket from Old Warden when I was there...but like Dux it's either online or on the day :dizzy:
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

FTS wrote:I inquired yesterday with the SVAS chairman about the possibility of the event selling out, etc. SVAS members don't get discounted online tickets, which Duxford offer as of this year for FOD members, so I have to get my tickets on the day. He's assured me that IF they 'sell out', SVAS members will still be permitted entry with a ticket they can buy discounted on the day, but please arrive early. He also said that they will look at adding an SVAS members discount option for buying advanced tickets to the website.

That's good to hear - I had already enquired to Shuttleworth and was also told there is no advance SVAS option.

Rgds
Alisdair