Riga Aviation Museum June 2015

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
HeyfordDave111

Riga Aviation Museum June 2015

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Hi everyone,

A cheap short 3 day break say me arrive at Riga courtesy of Ryanair from Manchester for £130.00 including a nice hotel.

Having done some homework i was aware of this museum form a previous poster, and having mailed the museum was aware that they are only open on Saturdays and Sundays from 10.00am until 4.00pm
Not wanting to miss this opportunity off i go on the Sunday, with a taxi from Riga town centre to the airport terminal for £5.00.
I spent all of 5 minutes walking to the museum gates only to find they were locked. However all was not lost as there's a bell to ring.
2 minutes later and im in, with a donation to the museum of 7Euros plus an extra 3euros as a museum like this really needs to survive.

The man who let me in didn't speak English, but after going round the houses regarding languages, we settled on my pidgeon German and we got on very well. It seams he liked the extra donation and my chuntering in what i thought was naff German, as i was offered access all areas, including cockpits, behind the barriers etc.

Listen guys, if you've not seen a Halo, Foxhound or Forger either at a distance or up close before then go, it's only 2 hours away and a must see, even though it looks a trifle untidy.

Anyway, enough of the chat, here are some pics.
If you want to see the lot plus 2 of the4 KC135's that are there for the last 2 weeks on Balt-ops then drop by my zenfolio
http://davejonesphotography.zenfolio.com/p616221797

Cheers
Dave
ImageMig25 by David Jones, on Flickr

Imagemig23 by David Jones, on Flickr

Imagemig29 by David Jones, on Flickr

Imagemig212 by David Jones, on Flickr

Imagemig211 by David Jones, on Flickr

Imagemig213 by David Jones, on Flickr

ImageYAK by David Jones, on Flickr

Imagemil6Hook by David Jones, on Flickr

Imagemig231 by David Jones, on Flickr

ImageTu22backfire by David Jones, on Flickr
Got to love Russianhardware

farnboroughrob

Re: Riga Aviation Museum June 2015

Post by farnboroughrob »

Great stuff, on my to do list next years on a day trip from Stansted.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Got to be done mate, i only had 90 minutes there but i could spend hours shooting every angle especially with such good light. :smile:

If anyone out there can name the airliner and fighter cockpits on th Riga Museum part of my zenfolio site http://davejonesphotography.zenfolio.com/f394146957 ,i'd be very grateful.

cheers
Dave

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

As I will never get to go to Moscow this seems like the cheaper and easier alternative. Will brush up on my german too!As for the noses I can see a TU-104 CCCP-42388, according to Aerodata and a unknown An-24 . Aerodata list Su-24, Su-17 and Mi8 noses.
Rob

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Thought it was an Su24, cheers mate. :clap:

Dave