Dawlish Air Show 2015

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: Dawlish Air Show 2015

Post by Wissam24 »

Black Cats confirmed for Dawlish.

Any chance they'll be a the Smugglers?? :heyhey: :heyhey:
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

POD

Post by POD »

Wissam24 wrote:Black Cats confirmed for Dawlish.

Any chance they'll be a the Smugglers?? :heyhey: :heyhey:

Too early to say yet Sam..we will try our best :cool:
Tiger Tiger!

RS2

Post by RS2 »

POD wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
POD wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
5944 wrote:
seacat192 wrote:There is a car park in a field adjacent to the Smugglers and the site where the helicopters operate from on the day of the Show. Never used it, so I don't know the cost.

I tend to park (considerately) in the housing estate a short walk from the hill.

The car park is quite small and fills up quickly. No idea how much it costs, but a mate parked there last year and it wasn't a lot. But the climb up to the top of the hill is pretty steep!

Last year it was £5. The farmer provides a barbeque (at a price, obviously), portaloos (and a simple curtain for chaps, which helps queuing immensely!) and uses his 4WD to run the less mobile visitors up the hill. Top bloke!

John

Hmmmm, well he makes a shed load of money and doesn't donate a single penny back to the air show.... So if you want the show to continue please donate in the official collection buckets... :wall:

Yeah, I heard someone hint that to him. His response mentioned insurance, keeping the field free, his staff's time, portaloo hire, various other expenses I can't remember now. So I'm not clear what the balance of advantage is. I am clear I had a great day and a great view: and I wouldn't come at all if I had to watch from the town. It's only the hill that changes the perspective view that makes it worthwhile, anybody can to go an airshow where you look up at aeroplanes. Looking down is the trick.

I do see what you are getting at though. Your problem is that the show is visible from elsewhere than the seafront, and you can't change that. And somehow you are offended by the ability of someone who isn't part of your organisation to take advantage of that. Economists have a term for it, something like it being a public good because you can't prevent freeloading. A bit like Ireland being shielded by NATO during the Cold War while not paying for it.

However, your airshow is pretty successful. I heard the town ran out of icecream last year, and that at Exeter people were being advised not to take the train to Dawlish as the town was full. So maybe it's time you decided how to charge punters to limit demand a bit? Say a pound a head for a seafront pitch? You would then be taking maximum advantage from the area within your control, and you could stop worrying about aspects outside of that. Of course, defining seafront may be an issue. From up on the hill I could see a bit of a scrum on the beach as the tide came in last year. Tough to pay for a view and then get wet.

Speaking of wet, do you run the bucket round all the boats offshore, or are they freeloaders you can't reach as well? Focus on the positive and forget the people figuring the angles is my advice.

Having said all that, if you send a bucket round the hill, I'll chuck a pound in it - promise.

John

Hi John,

I get everything you are saying..the problem is, he is always using excuses on why he cant donate, but anyway, no need for me to go in to that......Yes, I know its THE place to view from, as a photog myself, the show has always been constructed and run with that in mind...The Smugglers field LZ for example is only really used as it provides great pics for you guys.... We have larger and easier landing sites available to use, but they wouldn't provide that wow factor.....So yes, I'd love to get a pound out of every person in the town..but it never happens...All I can do is appeal to you guys that really get a buzz from being there, to donate to us, otherwise we wont be able to continue....
As for the boats, yes we sent a collector out there in a rib last year and he took over a £1,000 from the assembled craft... :clap:

Enjoy the 2015 sow..it should be a good one :cool:

Kev

Kevin,

Last year there were two of us in the car and we simply treated it as a £25 quid show, I would say like any other show but for two of us it was still cheaper than many other events. We simply put £5 in the farmers bucket and £20 in the official bucket which we were pleased to see on the hill.
Is there any way you could liaise with the farmer so that one of your volunteers collected with him or for him on the hill or at the car park, that way ensuring he got his money, but also ensuring that those members of the public that weren't aware, that the farmers charity collection was not for the airshow itself?
Just a thought.

POD

Post by POD »

Thanks RS2, yes we've tried various ways of collecting..last years was fairly healthy so we can plan this years show with confidence....

All I can do is try to spread the word that we need the money in our buckets for the show to continue in future years... :sweat: :sweat:

Thanks for your support,

Cheers,

Kev
:rock:
Tiger Tiger!

CrowdlinePhotography

Post by CrowdlinePhotography »

Will Miss Demeanour be displaying this year? If so it would be great to see her at Dawlish!

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Tilney.G wrote:
CrowdlinePhotography wrote:Will Miss Demeanour be displaying this year? If so it would be great to see her at Dawlish!

No, Unless a new owner is found she won't be displaying.

Bugger. :sad:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I feel very lucky that I got to see Jonathan tear her round the sky at Yeovilton last year. Miss D was very high on my to see list for a long time :love: :love: He certainly put her through her paces with some lovely fast passes too.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

According to its FB page, Strikemaster will be displaying

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Gone very quiet on the participants front :(

rob68

Post by rob68 »

it did the same last year, towards the show more was added. Suspect the same for this year. They should book the Vulcan

POD

Post by POD »

Wissam24 wrote:Gone very quiet on the participants front :(

Yes, it is quiet, yes there will be more participation....But as you know the show is funded purely on donations so acts can only be booked as and when they come in...Oh to have a large budget in advance like Bournemouth etc...

As for the Vulcan....Unlikely due to the £16,000 estimated participation fee....Howvever should we sell another 1500 friends of Dawlish air show memberships (Fodas) at £10 each and consider her booked :hypno: :hypno:
Tiger Tiger!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Kev, throwing an idea out of the box, given the mass following of the Vulcan do you think a kickstarter/gofundme/other pledging site account, to raise donations for XH558 to display at Dawlish would work? When you say it's only £10 for 1500 or so people it seems a feasible amount, especially for an aircraft which such enormous support!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

POD wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Gone very quiet on the participants front :(

Yes, it is quiet, yes there will be more participation....But as you know the show is funded purely on donations so acts can only be booked as and when they come in...Oh to have a large budget in advance like Bournemouth etc...

As for the Vulcan....Unlikely due to the £16,000 estimated participation fee....Howvever should we sell another 1500 friends of Dawlish air show memberships (Fodas) at £10 each and consider her booked :hypno: :hypno:

Yeah, how are donations going this year? Got my FoDAS membership and might make another donation later this month.

Pete that sounds like a great idea.

POD

Post by POD »

PeterR wrote:Kev, throwing an idea out of the box, given the mass following of the Vulcan do you think a kickstarter/gofundme/other pledging site account, to raise donations for XH558 to display at Dawlish would work? When you say it's only £10 for 1500 or so people it seems a feasible amount, especially for an aircraft which such enormous support!

Great idea Peter...not sure how we'd get it out to the 1500 potentially buyers as our facebook and website pages are continually stressing the need for donations etc....and so far we've had just over 100 subscribers .... :wall:

Depressing and a tad disappointing....But hey thats the joys of organising air shows....as you can appreciate.... :dizzy: :dizzy:

Kev
Tiger Tiger!

sopwithflyer

Post by sopwithflyer »

POD...

Peters idea is a good one don't dismiss it! maybe there currently arnt the subscribers...I would suggest a spotlight article last chance to see the Vulcan over Dawlish appeal. or similar....

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

To be honest - I haven't seen that much of dawlish on social media over the last couple of months. I'd think if you were more active in asking for donations, stressing how they are required for the show, maybe setting targets or something, it'd see more made?

Certainly with only a month to go I think people would put their hands in their pocket.

POD

Post by POD »

sopwithflyer wrote:POD...

Peters idea is a good one don't dismiss it! maybe there currently arnt the subscribers...I would suggest a spotlight article last chance to see the Vulcan over Dawlish appeal. or similar....

Sopwithflyer and Peter, Sam et al,

I would never dismiss any idea out of hand....But raising the £16k or so that would be needed is a mammoth task and our unpaid committee is already stretched to the max now as we are in the last 6 weeks build up to the event... If anyone wishes to volunteer to run and manage a fund raising campaign that would be fabulous.......... :dizzy: :dizzy: feel free to pm me....

It certainly would be fabulous to see the Vulcan in the skies over Dawlish one last time..... :hypno: :hypno:

Kev W.
Tiger Tiger!

POD

Post by POD »

£17,500 is the official quote...... :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:
Tiger Tiger!

rob68

Post by rob68 »

They recon they had 100,000 last year attend. Seems a high amount in such a small place. There were plenty of buckets around so could in theory do it

sopwithflyer

Post by sopwithflyer »

POD wrote:£17,500 is the official quote...... :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:

Kev...

I have done this before with another event. Nightmare it was too, so fair play. The six weeks does make it difficult but think Peter was right with his idea though, If it was started earlier in the year I am sure it would have worked, but I guess 6 weeks does make it difficult.

Always happy to help if I can though. You have some very good people in aviation down there in Devon though!!

CrowdlinePhotography

Post by CrowdlinePhotography »

Czech Mates Display Team confirmed!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Team Raven, Strikemaster and Seafire added.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

And more to come they say

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

Looking forward to the Strikemaster. Only caught the end of the display at Weston and looks like a great little aircraft. Fingers crossed that my last goodbye at Fairford is to be announced.....but not expecting it. Dawlish once again looking like a tidy little show. Still my favourite place to see the Red Arrows arrive.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Sea Vixen display commentator at Culdrose yesterday said the Vixen would be flying at Bournemouth, Shoreham and Dawlish next month.

Would be nice if correct. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/