Headcorn Battle of Britain display

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Spitnut

Headcorn Battle of Britain display

Post by Spitnut »

Aero Legends are holding a Battle of Britain Airshow and Ball at Headcorn in July.

http://www.battleofbritainball.com/

Pen Pusher

Re: Headcorn Battle of Britain display

Post by Pen Pusher »

Good timing, same weekend as Flying Legends.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Spitnut

Post by Spitnut »

From their facebook page,

'Many of you have asked why we have scheduled this event on the 11th July, the same day as a large warbird show. We can now reveal that we chose this date even though we knew it would clash with other events for the simple reason that several veterans of the Battle of Britain will be in Kent over that weekend for the memorial ceremony at Capel Le Ferne on the 12th July. We have invited these veterans to be VIP guests at both the display and evening ball as our way of honouring them for their service to our country during World War 2. Included in the veterans will be Wing Commander Tom Neil DFC and Bar, AFC, AE who we hope will give an after dinner speech.
We are sorry that many of you are disappointed that our event clashes with other events but hope that you will understand that we chose this date to allow these veterans to attend our event and see their old aircraft in action over Kent once again.'

Guess they are doing it for the veterans and not the airshow enthusiast.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Hadn't heard about this
:clap:

Spitnut

Post by Spitnut »

The FB page says that they will have 2 Spitfires and two Hurricanes from BBMF there.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Battle-of-Britain-Ball/411920265623731

With TD314, PV202, R4118 and BE505 that makes four Spitfires and four Hurricanes, not bad for a little show.

Spitnut

Post by Spitnut »

Now saying Blenheim as well,

https://www.facebook.com/41192026562373 ... =1&theater

plus an airfield attack by two Buchon's with anti aircraft fire, there is a video of one of the machine guns they are using on their FB page but I can't copy it on here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Battle-o ... 0265623731

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Considering doing this on Saturday, Legends on Friday & Sunday.

What time does the flying begin, roughly?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

"Dear Cousin, thanks you so much for the invitation to your wedding on the 11th July. I know I originally accepted but unfortunately , I now can't make it because (fill in the blanks), have a great day."

Help me :wall: :wall:
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Any ideas which aircraft will be landing on?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Any ideas which aircraft will be landing on?

Believe the BBMF fighters will be, know nothing more though!

A spot of general info would be much appreciated :smile:

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Latest post on Headcorn Facebook group says "4 Spitfires, 4 Hurricanes, 2 ME109's, 2 T6 Harvards, Bristol Blenheim, Feistler Storch, PT19 Cornell, Bucker Besmann, Boeing Stearman, Dragon Rapide and 4 Tiger Moths"
Since then they've added Spitfire SL633 from the Historic Flight Foundation, USA to make 5 Spitfires

They said its a late afternoon/early evening flying display which makes sense as most of the participants will be at Duxford

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

With a week to go we can publish our provisional display program (times are approximate),
2 p.m.
Two Spitfires and two Hurricanes from the BBMF arrive for flypasts
Individual display by one BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane.
3 p.m.
Tiger Moths and a Thruxton Jackaroo display
Hurricane BE505 arrives
4 p.m
Harvards
Spitfire TD314 solo display
Fieseler Storch
Rapide and Tiger Moths
Bucker Bestmann
5 p.m.
Model aircraft display
6 p.m.
Stearman and Tiger Moths
Blenheim
Battle of Britain scenario with two ME109s, two Hurricanes and three Spitfires.
All subject to weather and serviceability

Incidentally, which way does the display line face?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

tommo999 wrote:
With a week to go we can publish our provisional display program (times are approximate),
2 p.m.
Two Spitfires and two Hurricanes from the BBMF arrive for flypasts
Individual display by one BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane.
3 p.m.
Tiger Moths and a Thruxton Jackaroo display
Hurricane BE505 arrives
4 p.m
Harvards
Spitfire TD314 solo display
Fieseler Storch
Rapide and Tiger Moths
Bucker Bestmann
5 p.m.
Model aircraft display
6 p.m.
Stearman and Tiger Moths
Blenheim
Battle of Britain scenario with two ME109s, two Hurricanes and three Spitfires.
All subject to weather and serviceability

Incidentally, which way does the display line face?

Never been before, but I assume the crowd would be southside, going by the images regularly posted from Headcorn and looking at pics from previous 'Combined Ops' events. Light could be pretty special for the Blenheim at that time of day if that's the case.

Don't use facebook and there's no e-mail contact I can see on the website - anyone able to ask if they can provide a list of aircraft that'll be landing on?

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

I can confirm that the crowd line looks north towards the Downs. Nice little airfield that I grew up with, plenty of GA aircraft are based there plus a couple of sadly neglected jets that are US owned and will probably be scrapped this year http://www.kentonline.co.uk/weald/news/village-museum-in-stand-off-34965/
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Sun is behind you all afternoon going from right to left, as you stand looking at the display line
It should be superb light late afternoon

Spitnut

Post by Spitnut »

On their FB page it says,

12 p.m. Hurricane R4118 arrives
2 p.m.Two Spitfires and two Hurricanes from the BBMF arrive for flypasts, Harvard FT391 arrives
3:15 p.m. Hurricane BE505 arrives
4 p.m Harvards, Spitfire TD314 solo display, Fieseler Storch, Rapide, Jackaroo and Tiger Moths
5 p.m. Hurricane BE505, Bucker Bestmann, BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane, Stearman and Tiger Moths
6 p.m. Blenheim, Battle of Britain scenario with two ME109s, one Hurricanes and three Spitfires.

Telephoned Aero Legends today and they told me that all aircraft are landing, the Duxford contingent including the Blenheim will land after their display which will also include pyrotechnics. They will stay for a while and then depart back to Duxford. The only aircraft that may not land will be SL633, they are waiting to hear if it will or not. The crowd will be looking North.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Really sorry I cant make it, I hope it goes well and, perhaps, they could consider a regular show, like a mini legends with a selection of classics , fingers crossed,
looking forward to some great pics
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Hope that people enjoyed the show, especially those who chose to take a Dragon Rapide pleasure flight!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Took a punt on this over Legends and very happy with that decision - terrific venue, well organised, friendly crowd and a great selection of aircraft at a very good ticket price.

Flying display was a little disorganised and as usual, Ken Ellis wasn't very good at keeping the crowd informed of what was happening.

Biggest disappointment were the BBMF, for apparently electing not to fly the Spitfires (especially P7350 at a BoB event) where civilian operators had no qualms and for a very underwhelming Hurricane pairs display. On the plus side, nice to actually see them landing at an airshow.

John Romain once again excellent in the Blenheim - seems to really enjoy it and presents it so gracefully to the crowd.

dale b

Post by dale b »

This was a cracking little show, nice venue, reasonably easy to get in/out and great atmosphere. Only criticism would be a few more toilets. We only decided to go midday on the day, got there about 2pm, straight in, still got on the fence at the crowd line. Great value to, 38 quid for me, the wife and 3 kids. Days out don't get much cheaper than that! Displays were excellent, if not a little disorganised, the Blenheim and the final battle sequence were amazing, and PT displayed Pegs to his usual high standard. Shame the storch didn't make it, haven't seen that for a while. Will definitely be back. Check out my pictures in the airshow photo section.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Sounds like it was a good show - was there any reason given for why the Hurricanes were flown but not the Spitfires?

What seems even more ludicrous (and happy to be proven wrong) is that from the pictures I've seen it seems that a BBMF pilot (looks like Antony Parkinson) was at the controls of the civilian Spitfire owned by AeroLegends!

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

It is a great venue for a show and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree the commentator could have given the crowd a tad more warning on a few of the arrivals though. The tail-chase at the end and the Blenheim were particular highlights.

I very much enjoyed my Dragon Rapide flight (even though it took me 2 attempts to find someone to book it, wandered around for ages asking people where to book and quite a few people didn't have any idea, just said "look for a lady in a pink shirt". I gave up the first time. Lucky I went back after about 30 minutes and got some better help the second time and was directed to the correct place). The flight itself was excellent.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

WG655 wrote:Sounds like it was a good show - was there any reason given for why the Hurricanes were flown but not the Spitfires?

What seems even more ludicrous (and happy to be proven wrong) is that from the pictures I've seen it seems that a BBMF pilot (looks like Antony Parkinson) was at the controls of the civilian Spitfire owned by AeroLegends!

No reason given in the commentary - poor, considering the BBMF display was to contain one of the two BoB veteran aircraft that had been so hyped in the commentary earlier in the day. The commentator should be relaying this information - theres never any indication from him as to what's due, how the running order has changed etc.

BBMF Twitter feed is useless too - checked that for updates and found it gives no information out about cancellations or changes. They could learn from the XH558 account.

The only reason we heard was from someone nearby on the crowdline - the crosswind was "out of limits", but as I say, clearly wasn't out of limits for the two civilian-owned Spitfires that took off for the next display item, nor to recover the two Buchons which are notoriously tricky to land and handle on the ground... They seem to treat their aircraft like OW do the Edwardians.

It was "Parky" in the AeroLegends Mk.IX display, and very nice it was too. Very "un-BBMF" in the way it was flown. I believe he was back up later in LF363 as the second aircraft in the very dull BBMF pair, so that would suggest to me that it's the BBMF/RAF that impose these overly cautious restrictions on their aircraft and routines.

Even so, as John Romain is wonderfully demonstrating this year, a stunning warbird routine needn't be strenuous or demanding on the aircraft.

Let's not dwell on these points though because this was an excellent airshow all in all, and one I hope the organisers can be convinced to turn into an annual event.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

They were clearly struggling with crosswind, at the end of the display when the 2 Buchons landed, then 2 Spitfires, the first Spitfire hit 2 of the runway markers making the second Spitfire go around.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Gutted I could not make it,sounds like it was a good show and, most importantly, safe. Remains to be seen if it was successful from a financial perspective. Perhaps there is potential in making it a regular event on the Legends weekend. You have locals who dont want to travel to Cambridge plus fans who prefer the smaller, more personal style of show. I really hope they have learned a few lessons and perhaps already considering a 2016 show.