Best of British Evening Airshow - 18th July

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Tbolt

Re: Best of British Evening Airshow - 18th July

Post by Tbolt »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:This comes as a surprise...

@Shuttleworth_OW: Best of British airshow this weekend, gates open at 11.00. No entry to the Shuttleworth site without an event ticket #ShuttleworthAirshow

What reason is there for that, at this late stage? Half the regular airshow crowd will be at RIAT.

The website is still advertising an on the gate price too.

Poor. Evening shows are already over priced this year, and now OW seems to be heading down this same advanced ticket route as so many others.

I think that statement just is to point out that their is no separate entry to the Swiss Gardens, it's one ticket for the lot. I think if it was advanced tickets only it would be clearly stated, but it has been badly worded.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Facebook statement "Online booking has now closed, tickets available on the gate."

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

That's good. Earlier message was far too ambiguous, especially on the back of a sell-out and this advance ticket madness sweeping through the industry.

Still unsure about this display though - wind seems a risk to me, especially at the full price of £28, which is very pricey for an evening display that features 2(?) hours of flying. Hmmm...
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:That's good. Earlier message was far too ambiguous, especially on the back of a sell-out and this advance ticket madness sweeping through the industry.

Still unsure about this display though - wind seems a risk to me, especially at the full price of £28, which is very pricey for an evening display that features 2(?) hours of flying. Hmmm...

Me too, I'm going to check the forecast in the morning and decide then, at the moment the forecast has very similar wind forecast for the last show and none of the WWI aircraft flew then. But if everything flew I think it would be worth it and would expect the flying to last for 3 hours at least.

st24

Post by st24 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:That's good. Earlier message was far too ambiguous, especially on the back of a sell-out and this advance ticket madness sweeping through the industry.

28 notes for an evening show :shock: ?? OWs new marketing strategy kicks in then. . ££££
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

st24 wrote:

28 notes for an evening show :shock: ?? OWs new marketing strategy kicks in then. . ££££

I wouldn't consider it too expensive as I would expect it to last 2 1/2 hours or longer IF they are able to fly the Edwardians which is always subject to the weather caveat.
I was planning to go but with the forecast I very much doubt the Edwardians will fly and that was my main reason for planning for an evening show as there is usually a better chance so will wait for another time as it's quite a long drive (for me) for a display which will probably end up truncated.

Advance ticket sales have been around for as long as I can remember I suppose to give organisers some idea of the numbers to expect, by now they probably know the average percentage of attendees who have bought advance ticket so as well as getting money in the coffers early (which will guarantee some income if the weather turns bad and helps their cash flow - yes I realise there's a financial reason as well) they can plan ahead for the traffic & crowd management to help things run smoothly, unless of course it's Throckmorton 2015.
I tend to buy advance tickets for 2 reasons,
1: it avoids the risk of the show selling out before the day so I miss out and
2: if the wife says 'do you really have to go?' I can say 'Yes because I've already bought the ticket' :lol:
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

st24 wrote:

Yeah, same rates as the afternoon displays now.

£22.50 up until a week in advance, then rising to £26 until 4pm the day before the show. £28 at the gate.

IIRC last year evening shows were £15 in advance, £20 on the gate?

Forecast for winds to ease (quite calm here in Essex already), but forecasts say broken cloud for this afternoon/evening. Unsure what to do - very pricey, but light could be great and the list is decent...
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Forecast for winds to ease (quite calm here in Essex already), but forecasts say broken cloud for this afternoon/evening. Unsure what to do - very pricey, but light could be great and the list is decent...

damn! have now agreed to go out with the wife this evening an the basis of the forecast as of yesterday :sad: as you said, Essex is quite calm at present.

should have implemented point 2 of my previous post :oops:
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Well it turned out to be a great display, everything flew that was scheduled to, the wind wasn't too bad and quite calm towards the end. The Edwardians didn't fly but then there was no intention of that - the boxkite for one was in the hangar behind the TVR owners club do, so wasn't accessible.

But even so the flying lasted for 3 1/2 hours, so not really much difference from a day time show and we got some golden hour light for a very short time for the Albatross, Demon and Hind.

A great show that was worth the entrance price.

County1884

Post by County1884 »

Yes smashing show Saturday evening, What a lovely looking machine that Dragonfly is, Looked fantastic with the Comet.

Nice display from the MK1 Spit

Albatross and Snipe looked beautiful

Weather played ball with the wind dropping off later on

Can be few better ways to spend a mid summer evening than at Old Warden :smile:

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Agreed, great show.

Dragonfly (my highlight), Albatross, Snipe, DH Moths, Wicko, Spitfire Mk1, Sea Hurricane, even the Petrel. Almost too much quality to fit into one small evening show!

Did anyone else get deafened by the Puss Moth as it taxied in? Stood right by it on its arrival at about 4pm - actually made my ears ring!

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

After the Puss Moth shut down the marshaller appeared to remove something from the prop blade, could have been a carrier bag or bit of string ? That would account for the strange noise.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"Gold Warden" - While many were at RIAT on the same weekend, Tom Lantaff opted for a genteel evening in the Bedfordshire countryside.

Image Image Image Image Image