Museum of Flight, East Fortune 25th July 2015

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
snicker

Re: Museum of Flight, East Fortune 25th July 2015

Post by snicker »

I hope this has not already been mentioned, but can somebody tell me what time the flying display begins and what time the Typhoon is scheduled to display?

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

I've just found this hidden on the Eat Fortune website.

Restrictions of Flying Regulations have been established under Article 161 of the Air Navigation Order 2009 between 1215 hours (local) and 1715 hours (local) on 25th July 2015. As such no Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems shall be flown at this location without the permission of the East Fortune Air Show flying display director.

Stratocaster, My apologies for wrongly correcting your information on the NOTAM, by suggesting that it was perhaps UTC rather than Local time.

Given that the Reds website states they are on at 13:15, they may not be the opening act after all.

This would make the final act of the day scheduled in at 16:50-17:00. I'd guess that this would be the Typhoon.

The BBMF have posted Movement information for up to and including Thursday, it's equally possible that the Typhoon will open the Show with the BBMF closing in the 16:30-17:00 slot s the same aircraft it would appear are scheduled for Silverstone as well as Sunderland and EF. Looking at the timing of the movement updates on the BBMF site we'll know for definite tomorrow or Thursday.

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

portagee01 wrote:I've just found this hidden on the Eat Fortune website.

Restrictions of Flying Regulations have been established under Article 161 of the Air Navigation Order 2009 between 1215 hours (local) and 1715 hours (local) on 25th July 2015. As such no Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems shall be flown at this location without the permission of the East Fortune Air Show flying display director.

Stratocaster, My apologies for wrongly correcting your information on the NOTAM, by suggesting that it was perhaps UTC rather than Local time.

Given that the Reds website states they are on at 13:15, they may not be the opening act after all.

This would make the final act of the day scheduled in at 16:50-17:00. I'd guess that this would be the Typhoon.

The BBMF have posted Movement information for up to and including Thursday, it's equally possible that the Typhoon will open the Show with the BBMF closing in the 16:30-17:00 slot s the same aircraft it would appear are scheduled for Silverstone as well as Sunderland and EF. Looking at the timing of the movement updates on the BBMF site we'll know for definite tomorrow or Thursday.

No worries! And you're most likely correct anyway, I did forget to +1 hour on the posted notam time! However I took this to be the Reds opening the show,so as you've done a bit more researching and found that this may not be the case,then A Phoon doing the opening is ace enough for me! :up: :biggrin: But what's the betting it'll be something in the line up we didn't expect to have as opening display?!! :lol:
Card carrying aviation addict!

snicker

Post by snicker »

Thanks portagee01

So is it looking like the flying display will start at 12:15 after all?

When do you think we will get a more definitive time for the display acts? Mainly the Typhoon, Reds and P3C Orion?

I am a wee bit tight for time on Saturday with having a wee lad!!

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

I'm sorry I can't be of much help,but hopefully the museum of flight website may give more details (may,,it's not always guaranteed!) www.nms.ac.uk/museum-of-flight if you wish to dodge there and check it out.
Note to fellow airshow fans for East Fortune,,FR24 will be virtually useless as I've tried it there and no 4G reception,so tracking flight display teams will have to be done by eyes and scanner!

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

There may be a planned timetable known to the organisers and sometimes this is released the night before as Stratocaster suggests, but this will be far from definitive.

There are too many outside factors given all the aircraft will be transiting into the display box, delays at other airshows, at Edinburgh airport, aircraft serviceability and of course Mother Nature, anywhere on route for any of the aircraft.

snicker

Post by snicker »

I have been advised that the display is scheduled to start at 12:30 (presuming GMT+1) and the final display to take place at 16:30. From what I can gather the following list is in order of appearance and is subject to change:

1. ROYAL NAVY SEA KING
2. GROB TUTOR
3. BUCKER JUNGMANN
4. RED ARROWS
5. SWORDFISH
6. TRIG TEAM (PITTS SPECIAL BIPLANES)
7. BRISTOL BLENHEIM MK 1F
8. LOCKHEED P3C ORION
9. PIPER J-3 CUB
10. SPITFIRE
11. HAWKER HURRICAN
13. HAWK T2 ROLE DEMO
14. THE BLACK CATS (LYNX PAIR)
15. FOLLAND GNAT T1
16. SEAFIRE
17. CURTISS P-40
18. KITTYHAWK
19. UH-1H IROQUOIS HUEY
20. ROYAL JORDANIAN FALCONS
21. TYPHOON

Not a bad list for a 4.5 hour display.

Post by 5944 »

The Reds are due to display at 13.15, so 12.30 start would make sense. The website says it's open 10am til 5pm, so 4.30 finish fits in. Plus the last bus back to North Berwick is 5.45 - I doubt they'd only run 1 bus after the show has finished.

I'm looking forward to it. Never been there before, so even if the weather is poor (which is looking likely at present) it'll be good to have a look round the museum anyway.

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

I take it from that wee bit extra info, Phoonery to close the account? Nice way to end the 2015 East Fortune airshow,but hope it doesn't start to P down before the Phoon has dodged off back to Coningsby (last year was testament to that,,,ruddy rain! :mad: )

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

stratocaster wrote:I take it from that wee bit extra info, Phoonery to close the account? Nice way to end the 2015 East Fortune airshow,but hope it doesn't start to P down before the Phoon has dodged off back to Coningsby (last year was testament to that,,,ruddy rain! :mad: )

Indeed. If it had held off oh maybe 10 minutes we'd have been laughing.

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Spiny Norman wrote:
stratocaster wrote:I take it from that wee bit extra info, Phoonery to close the account? Nice way to end the 2015 East Fortune airshow,but hope it doesn't start to P down before the Phoon has dodged off back to Coningsby (last year was testament to that,,,ruddy rain! :mad: )

Indeed. If it had held off oh maybe 10 minutes we'd have been laughing.

Absolutely! And sadly by the look of things according to the MET office website, we're in for a repeat of last year's weather pattern :wall:

Post by 5944 »

Every forecast I've looked at is showing sunshine and showers for Saturday, but has certainly improved over the last couple of days from raining all afternoon.

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

BBMF Spit and Hurricane scheduled 2:55, displaying at Sunderland at 2:05 first and a flyby at Eyemouth on route.

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

5944 wrote:Every forecast I've looked at is showing sunshine and showers for Saturday, but has certainly improved over the last couple of days from raining all afternoon.

Had a look again this morning and fingers crossed,looking very promising!

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

As mentioned in the other thread, I saw the P3 come in with my own eyes, so we are getting that at least! This will be my first East Fortune show since 2000.

eastcoast93

Post by eastcoast93 »

A little cloudy here in Haddington this morning (about 4 miles from EF), but thankfully it's forecast to thin and break a bit for this afternoon.

For anyone with a scanner to hand, frequencies in use are typically 121.2 (Edinburgh Radar) for ACFT transiting to and from EDI/Archerfield and 118.125 when ACFT are holding near EF and during their displays. Not sure if 119.875 (Scottish Info) may be of use.

Should be a great show!

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

We are using 118.75 MHz (the microlight site freq) for initial contact and 130.675 MHz as Display Discrete.
vA
stevelevien.com

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

Programme:
(All times local)
11:45 Red 10 arrives
12:00 Sea King arrives
12:55 Tutor
13:04 Jungman
13:15 RAFAT
13:47 Sea King
14:02 Swordfish
14:12 Red 10 departs
14:16 Trig
14:28 Gnat
14:38 P3C
14:45 Cub
14:53 Spitfire (BBMF)
15:02 Hurricane (BBMF)
15:13 Hawks
15:23 Lynx (Black Cats)
15:32 Blenheim
15:42 Seafire
15:50 P40
16:01 Huey
16:12 Jordanian Falcons
16:28 Typhoon
16:38 Sea King departs
16:38 Lynx depart

Spitf/Hurri and Huey may swap
vA
stevelevien.com

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Great show today :up:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Excellent show! I'm pretty pink about the face and ears now, as I hadn't prepared for that much sun. Shame about the Gnat, but the rest more than made up for it. Highlights for me were the Swordfish, Blenheim, Orion P3 and the Eurofighter. I love historic aircraft, but it is nice to know that there is still something out there being used in anger up in Lossy.

I made two observations about East Fortune itself. It is nice to see some aircraft outdoors, even without interpretation boards around them and it is great to see the Viscount under cover (as well as the wings up by the bins!). Upon leaving the site I noticed that Paxton's scrap metal merchant opposite had a large white undercarriage leg propped up against a wall. Any guesses?

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Excellent show, didn't get drowned despite threatening skies at times, and have got the customary airshow tan! Can't decide what my favourite was. Nice to see the Phoon close the show, Reds were stunning again, Hawk team were superb, well done getting the Blenheim :clap: Orion was a great catch too. All in all well done to the organisers, take a bow! :clap: :rock: Bring on the next one!

eastcoast93

Post by eastcoast93 »

Fantastic show today, very well done to the oraganisers with an excellent mix of historic aircraft with some newer examples in the form of the Hawk Display Team and the Eurofighter :rock:

Personal faves were the Reds, Orion, Eurofighter, BBMF and the Royal Jordanians, looking forward to next year already :cool:

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

A great show, in which we just about got away with the weather, such a shame for the Jordanians, though the volume of that "music" which was played for them should have sent any clouds scurrying for cover as it sent me for the earplugs. Good variety through out, managed a good schedule with only the slight pause around the Gnat's time. Great to see a full display by the Reds, and the Blenhiem looked a picture...even if I do prefer the longer nose version. East Fortune have set the bar now, Norway and Jordan this year, Ayr/Prestwick will have Swedes, where in the world are the Airhow team going to look for next year?

Shame the Gnat went Tech but these things can't be helped.

My only real quibble was that with the acres of hard standing, why the car parking was on the rough grass between the Runways? I know the airshow only hire the land for the day, and if the farmer was only offering a field and less than usual hard standing, then the airshow team have to take what's on offer. Not much consolation for the guy I saw carrying parts of his cars front splitter toward one of the more official looking car parking people.
Likewise the lack of carparking people directing traffic off of the Grass area next to the disabled parking and back around the tower into 5 or was it 6 lanes wide, which then had to work itself down to 2 lanes.

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

The car parking will be a lesson learned for next year. Have to agree,the full display by the Reds was amazing. Have they upped the ante on the Adours of the T2's does anyone know? They were certainly giving it laldy! Almost as loud as the other RR engines of the BAE Systems Typhoon of 29 Sqn. Well folks,I'm looking forward to Prestwick! :yahoo: :rock: :win: :biggrin:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Just want to echo others' comments - what a cracking airshow. I've been going to EF for a while now (it's just down the coast from me), and I have to say that this year's was the best that I can remember. A perfect blend of the historic and the modern, excellently commentated by Ben Dunnell as usual and with the added bonus of foreign participation in the shape of the Norwegian P-3, and the Jordanian Falcons (who unfortunately copped by far the worst of the weather).

I was also pleased to see that the Phantom, Buccaneer and Jaguar had been moved outside - it was good to have the opportunity to shoot them away from the hangar.

With Prestwick also shaping up very nicely, it looks like the Scottish airshow scene has recovered well from the blow of losing Leuchars. Looking forward to my trip to Ayrshire in a few weeks' time. :smile:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...