Wings & Wheels Airshow - 2nd August

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
WG655
UKAR Staff

Wings & Wheels Airshow - 2nd August

Post by WG655 »

A list of visiting aircraft has been published for this show, due to be held on Sunday 2nd August:

Visiting Aircraft
Kittyhawk
Spartan Executive
Yak 11
Muscle Biplane
Calidus Autogyro
Midget Mustang
Extra 300 + Model Extra

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/wingsandwheels/

Great to see Lulu Belle making a return to Old Warden, and has the Extra 'duo' displayed there before?

planesgalaxxyclacton

Re: Wings & Wheels Airshow - 2nd August

Post by planesgalaxxyclacton »

The Gnat Display Team are down for this one .

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

No word on the Gnats as of yet; but an expanded list posted by the Collection for this event. The mock air race sounds interesting!

Visiting Aircraft
Kittyhawk
Spartan Executive
Yak 11
Muscle Biplane
Calidus Autogyro
Midget Mustang
Extra 300 + Model Extra
F1 Racers: Ballerina, Catch 22, Taylor Tich, Midget Mustang

Collection Aircraft
Mock Air Race: Chilterns x 2, Martlett, Spartan Executive (visiting), Miles Magister, Miles Falcon
WWI Late: Bristol M1C, Bristol F2.b, RAF SE5a
Racers: DH88 Comet, Percival Mew Gull
WWI Early: Sopwith Pup, Avro 504K
Fieseler Storch

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

WG655 wrote:No word on the Gnats as of yet; but an expanded list posted by the Collection for this event. The mock air race sounds interesting!

From the amount of polishing that goes on just before take off, I'm not sure that the pilots understand the term "mock".

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

According to WAHT, the Snipe and Albatros will be taking part, though whether that's static or flying isn't clear.

Tobyone1985

Post by Tobyone1985 »

Current participation list:

Albatros D.Va (TVAL)
Sopwith Snipe (TVAL)
Hunter T7
Spartan Executive
Yak 11
Muscle Biplane
Calidus Autogyro
Chilton DW1
Extra 300 + Model Extra
Ballerina

COLLECTION AIRCRAFT

Mock Air race: Chiltons x 2, Martlett, Spartan Executive (visiting), Miles Magister, Miles Falcon
WWI Late: Bristol M1C, Bristol F2.b, RAF SE5a
Racers: DH88 Comet, Percival Mew Gull
WWI Early: Sopwith Pup, Avro 504K
Fieseler Storch

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

Hm. I may have to pop along, if there's a chance the Albatros and Snipe might be flying...
And the Pup, Comet, Mew Gull etc etc would be gavy
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Hangar 11's P-40 dropped off the list. Not sure it's been back in the air since it made Biggin and Cosford in June...?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Post by 5944 »

Hatstand wrote:Hm. I may have to pop along, if there's a chance the Albatros and Snipe might be flying...

After the last evening show, it'll be nice to see the Snipe fly in daylight, rather than 10 minutes after sunset...

J.Smith photography

Post by J.Smith photography »

Are the snipe and the albatros permanently at Shuttleworth now? Or is it going to be like last time where they were there for a few shows then stuck in some museum (such a pointless waste of such beautiful aircraft)?

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

J.Smith photography wrote:Are the snipe and the albatros permanently at Shuttleworth now? Or is it going to be like last time where they were there for a few shows then stuck in some museum (such a pointless waste of such beautiful aircraft)?

Going to live at Stow Maries or Bicester (I think) and be kept flyable.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

J.Smith photography wrote:Are the snipe and the albatros permanently at Shuttleworth now? Or is it going to be like last time where they were there for a few shows then stuck in some museum (such a pointless waste of such beautiful aircraft)?

I believe they're for the WW1 Aviation Heritage Trust and to be kept flying, as per the Be2c pair from last year.

http://ww1aviationheritagetrust.co.uk/

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Hangar 11's P-40 dropped off the list. Not sure it's been back in the air since it made Biggin and Cosford in June...?

It was on the programme at East Fortune today.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Flare Path wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Hangar 11's P-40 dropped off the list. Not sure it's been back in the air since it made Biggin and Cosford in June...?

Did it make it?

I haven't seen the P-40 since the colour scheme reveal in 2013.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Flare Path wrote:

Did it make it?

I haven't seen the P-40 since the colour scheme reveal in 2013.

Made it to Sunderland too. :up:

Wonder why it's been scrubbed for next week.

J.Smith photography

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

I believe they're for the WW1 Aviation Heritage Trust and to be kept flying, as per the Be2c pair from last year.

http://ww1aviationheritagetrust.co.uk/

Thanks
what are the chances of seeing them at Shuttleworth again then? Is this going to be the last chance? Or?
Still debating whether to go to this show or not, these pair are the only reason that I would go tbh

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

J.Smith photography wrote:what are the chances of seeing them at Shuttleworth again then? Is this going to be the last chance? Or?

I don't know. I don't recall the Be2 pair having returned since the two shows they did at Old Warden last summer (anyone able to verify?), so I couldn't give you an answer.

There should be chances to see them at Bicester/Stow Maries though I would imagine - the Albatros, Snipe and Be2s are down to appear at the latter for a fly-in event in August.

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
J.Smith photography wrote:what are the chances of seeing them at Shuttleworth again then? Is this going to be the last chance? Or?

I don't know. I don't recall the Be2 pair having returned since the two shows they did at Old Warden last summer (anyone able to verify?), so I couldn't give you an answer.

There should be chances to see them at Bicester/Stow Maries though I would imagine - the Albatros, Snipe and Be2s are down to appear at the latter for a fly-in event in August.

Think at least one of the Be2s was due at the July Pagent, but scrubbed due to the weather.

J.Smith photography

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Alright, thanks

Orion

Post by Orion »

I've looked through my resources for the colour scheme of the Albatros but cannot find a reference. Can anyone tell me who flew the original aeroplane in WWI and offer information on his service history? The commentator didn't give the info but then he kept on referring to the type as the DeeVee and not the DeeFive!

Also, can anyone confirm that the RAFM example and the aircraft flown on Sunday have the same type of engine? I've checked with the soundtracks on my videos and they sound very different.

Regards

Orion

Post by Orion »

Orion wrote:I've looked through my resources for the colour scheme of the Albatros but cannot find a reference. Can anyone tell me who flew the original aeroplane in WWI and offer information on his service history? The commentator didn't give the info but then he kept on referring to the type as the DeeVee and not the DeeFive!

Also, can anyone confirm that the RAFM example and the aircraft flown on Sunday have the same type of engine? I've checked with the soundtracks on my videos and they sound very different.

Regards

I can now answer the question in the first paragraph! Uffz Paul Baumer 1917.

See http://www.kingandcountry.com/albatros- ... -2895.html

and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_B%C3%A4umer

Still like to know about the engine though.

Regards