Headcorn Battle of Britain display

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
dale b

Re: Headcorn Battle of Britain display

Post by dale b »

grant_w wrote:They were clearly struggling with crosswind, at the end of the display when the 2 Buchons landed, then 2 Spitfires, the first Spitfire hit 2 of the runway markers making the second Spitfire go around.

One of the Buchons had a proper mr whippy on when it landed, i thought he was going to ground loop it at one point! I always thought the Spitfires had better tolerence in the wind than Hurricanes? seem to remember at Manston a few years ago the Spits got up but the Hurricane didnt and had to taxi with a helper sitting on the tail to keep it down?
ImageManston Airshow 060 by dale baldwin, on Flickr

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"Sweet 'Corn" - Dan O'Hagan reports from Headcorn in Kent.

Image Image Image Image Image

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Love the "underside" comment :lol:

st24

Post by st24 »

Lovely images in a report that is just another thinly veiled dig at the BBMF.....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

st24 wrote:Lovely images in a report that is just another thinly veiled dig at the BBMF.....

Coningsby Station Commander certainly agrees!

https://twitter.com/RAFTyphoon_24_7/sta ... 2116893696

@RAFTyphoon_24_7 wrote:@UKAirshowReview Difference between x-wind limit for a Mk2/5 v Mk 9 Spit.......? #knowyourhistorics
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Wissam24 wrote:
st24 wrote:Lovely images in a report that is just another thinly veiled dig at the BBMF.....

@RAFTyphoon_24_7 wrote:@UKAirshowReview Difference between x-wind limit for a Mk2/5 v Mk 9 Spit.......? #knowyourhistorics

:grin: :grin: I felt there were some unfair comments made about the BBMF, are there any other air forces that operate warbirds to the same extent as the BBMF including small events such as Headcorn? Would you prefer it if the "airshow sacred cows" weren't there and instead all the aircraft resigned to museums? :dunno:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Report doesn't say anything that hasn't already been covered in this thread.

As far as cross-wind limit goes, I'd like to know where you're supposed to find that information? The only thing I could find on a google search was with regards to the BBMF aircraft actually, posted at Pprune and from which I quote:

"To safeguard against ground-loops on landing, a strict limit of 10 knots maximum cross-wind component is imposed for all Spitfires and 15 knots for the Lancaster."

So, on that basis, it would have made not a jot of difference if the BBMF had turned up in MK356 - it still wouldn't have flown, whereas the civilian Mk.IXs would have, and in BBMF hands no less...

Another source online states that the BBMF have a blanket limit of 10kts, which can increase to 15kts but only after a pilot has completed 50hrs on type - so again, it's a blanket limit imposed across ALL their Spitfires, and not different for each Mark.

Perhaps if they'd tweeted/spoken on the commentary at the show, to let people know why they'd cancelled while other Spitfires were still flying in the display and operating from the airfield, it might have avoided some of the confusion. Those around us at the show were disappointed, as I mentioned earlier in the thread - especially considering they'd brought in a BoB veteran that had been much-hyped in the commentary upon arrival, only to no-show with no explanation given to the public.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"