Magical Mystery Tour, 3 in 1! (Updated)

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Private Custard

Magical Mystery Tour, 3 in 1! (Updated)

Post by Private Custard »

After much contemplation, I decided that yesterday, I just couldn't be bothered with the drive down to Eastbourne. So, along with a couple of friends (expect Harry's shots soon!), we ventured to North Weald, to spend some quality time with the Norwegians and their Vampires and MiG-15.....and even ended up pushing them around, positioning them for departure!

From there it was on to Duxford, to kill a little time, before moving on to Old Warden, and my first 'naughty field' experience at the venue!

All in all it was a fantastic day, and even the tricky evening shoot in the dying light of the day was great fun.

All images shot with the 7D, along with various lenses. Thanks to Harry for the extended use of his 400 5.6, and 500 f4 :)

Last edited by Private Custard on Sun 16 Aug 2015, 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Airwolfhound

Re: Magical Mystery Tour, 3 in 1!

Post by Airwolfhound »

These are spectacular Barrie, fabulous work :clap: :clap:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

umea4

Post by umea4 »

Spectacular set, and you had an amazingly productive time. But your first shot in this post is the real star for me.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

As the other two have already said, these are pretty damn good...

That first shot of the Comet is lovely.

Dan

Post by 5944 »

Is that first one of the Comet as it came in to land? I was in the black Focus that drove past at the same time. I think there's tyre marks on the roof of the car!

Private Custard

Cheers guys :D

5944 wrote:Is that first one of the Comet as it came in to land? I was in the black Focus that drove past at the same time. I think there's tyre marks on the roof of the car!

It was indeed. Low and fast.......perfect!!

Tobyone1985

Post by Tobyone1985 »

First shot is stunning, very good set to boot.

Paultojo

Post by Paultojo »

Very special set :clap:

Private Custard

Cheers guys. I have to admit, I was quite pleased when I got home and started sorting them! :biggrin:

I have a few more to add!

Tbolt

Re: Magical Mystery Tour, 3 in 1! (Updated)

Post by Tbolt »

Really great set of shots. That first one is something special but there's plenty of other fantastic shots there. It a shame the Norwegians don't come to play here much and they didn't come to Beachy Head, but you certainly made the best of seeing them.

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

Nice pictures, shame you didn't fancy paying to enjoy the aircraft, tickets were on sale on the gate and there was plenty to see inside the venue.

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

svas_volunteer wrote:Nice pictures, shame you didn't fancy paying to enjoy the aircraft, tickets were on sale on the gate and there was plenty to see inside the venue.

Steve

Agree, Sadly a symptom of modern times

Nice pics tho

Private Custard

Tbolt wrote:Really great set of shots. That first one is something special but there's plenty of other fantastic shots there. It a shame the Norwegians don't come to play here much and they didn't come to Beachy Head, but you certainly made the best of seeing them.

I heard via facebook that they hadn't done Beachy Head. A shame, but it looks like plenty did. A good day was had by I'll it seems :)

svas_volunteer wrote:Nice pictures, shame you didn't fancy paying to enjoy the aircraft, tickets were on sale on the gate and there was plenty to see inside the venue

We arrived about five minutes before the flying started, after covering two other venues that day. I usually do go inside, but not last night. We'll leave it there, as I don't fancy seeing this thread turn into one of 'those' debates!!

johnr

Post by johnr »

Exchanging Eastbourne for that lot was not just good idea - it was a brilliant decision. Great stuff!

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Fantastic shots Barrie, these shots basically sum up in a single thread the UK airshow scene with its diverse mix. Absolutely cracking that you got to play with some big boys toys as well, I presume they were more than happy for people to help?
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Private Custard

Ledhead27 wrote:Fantastic shots Barrie, these shots basically sum up in a single thread the UK airshow scene with its diverse mix. Absolutely cracking that you got to play with some big boys toys as well, I presume they were more than happy for people to help?

We really do have it good on this little island eh!

And the Norwegians were brilliant, a really nice bunch of guys. They were happy to let us wander around the aircraft and answer our questions. After the vampire pair had talked through their display, they then notified us of their timings. When the time came to move the aircraft into position, they turned to us for the required muscle! It was quite a treat. We just ditched the cameras where we stood and grabbed a wing section each!

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

You need to stop showing me up!

That first shot is just superb.

Private Custard

hmeasures wrote:You need to stop showing me up!

Cheers :)

And you now have two lenses I want, as that first shot was with the 400 5.6. 1/100 at dusk, wide open, with no I.S. 50% luck I think!!

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Private Custard wrote:
hmeasures wrote:You need to stop showing me up!

Cheers :)

And you now have two lenses I want, as that first shot was with the 400 5.6. 1/100 at dusk, wide open, with no I.S. 50% luck I think!!

Haha, well one of them will be back up for sale following Romania, three careful owners... :lol:

I knew I should have kept on panning with the Comet coming into land, I decided to just enjoy it instead!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

That first Comet shot might be one of the best shots I've seen of her. Masterful. :worship:

Private Custard

hmeasures wrote:I knew I should have kept on panning with the Comet coming into land, I decided to just enjoy it instead!

I was thinking about lowering the camera, but I'd never seen her fly before, so couldn't let it go!

Tommy wrote:That first Comet shot might be one of the best shots I've seen of her. Masterful. :worship:

High praise indeed, thanks a lot! :)

Stevie Borowik

Post by Stevie Borowik »

To think on the day I thought my shots weren't upto much. You and Harry are just awesome!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Terrific set - so full of colour and life.

Opening Comet is sensational, but I'm also quite partial to the silhouette of it from the second batch.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"