Biggin75 - 18th August

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Biggin75 - 18th August

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Big_Gareth wrote:Really looking forward to this tomorrow, glad I bought my ticket last month. However I have just checked the envelope and all I have been sent is the car hangar and wristband. Is this correct or should I have been sent an actual ticket too? Hopefully someone else that is going can just reassure me that this is all that is required to gain entry to the event.

Cheers

It is correct - Biggin confirmed this to us via twitter a few weeks back...

@UKAirshowReview wrote:@LBHACommunity @stuey_norris just to check re tickets, I've only received the wristband and car pass no actual tickets, is that correct?

@LBHACommunity wrote:@UKAirshowReview @stuey_norris yes thats correct just the wrist band and car pass
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Hope someone manages some nice shots of those "last four Hurricanes still operational in Britain", some of the seven I've seen flying this year must be fakes! :shock: :grin:

Some of the pricing for these events recently has been a little steep :question:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

vicarage wrote:I was hoping to come along and watch from outside. With winds forecast to be light NW, I guess they are likely to use the short runway, so standing by the road would be good, ditto if they use the long runway southwards.

What conditions would make them take off northwards, and is there a good way to find out on the day, as its a long walk to the field that end.

The website hints at a flying display, but gives no details. Does anyone know what is planned?

the car hanger ('to be displayed to gain access to airfield') with the ticket says the following:

gates open 09.30
engines start 12.45
flying 13.00 and 13.45 (letter with tickets says flying begins 12.45 but guess complaining about such a small ambiguity is being picky)
- website also Battle of Britain flying display , aircraft to be confirmed
Flightline open 14.00 (to meet pilots, take photos and view aircraft - I hope that is properly planned)
subject to usual operational and weather caviats. no mention of which runway will be in use (unsurprisingly)

also aviation related exhibitors, re-enactors and static aircraft.
Also blue badge parking at front of car parks but the 'showground' is on a grass part of the airfield.
all vehicle occupants must be wearing their wristband to get onto airfield (unless 15 or under)

this is posted on the FB page (their capital letters, not mine before someone says that I'm shouting):
APOLOGIES FOR THE CAPITALS BUT WE DO WANT TO ENSURE THIS MESSAGE IS NOTICED.
WE WILL RESTRICTED ACCESS AND PARKING ON THE AIRPORT ON THE 18TH AUGUST TO ENSURE OUR TENANTS, CUSTOMERS AND TICKET HOLDERS HAVE ACCESS TO THE AIRPORT.
ANY ONE NOT IN POSSESSION OF AN AIRPORT PASS, EVENT TICKET AND WINDOW HANGAR OR PROOF OF DELIVERY WILL BE TURNED AWAY. THE LOOKOUT CAFE WILL BE OPEN TO PEDESTRIANS ONLY, THERE WILL BE NO PARKING IN THE CAFE PARKING BETWEEN 09.30 AND 16.00.
LOCAL ROADS WILL HAVE PARKING RESTRICTIONS ENFORCED BY THE LOCAL AUTHORITY.

hope all that helps to some extent or other.
Andy

EDIT - the FB page also has the routes for the 3 flights
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Corky

Post by Corky »

Quick question, being a first timer to Biggin hill which entrance to the airfield do you use for this event tomorrow? Couldn't find any info on where to actually head once you get near the place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Corky wrote:Quick question, being a first timer to Biggin hill which entrance to the airfield do you use for this event tomorrow? Couldn't find any info on where to actually head once you get near the place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

the postcode on the car hanger is for Churchill Road at the southern end of the airfield on the A233 and through the business park
HTH
Andy
andygolfer

Corky

Post by Corky »

andygolfer wrote: the postcode on the car hangar is for Churchill Road at the southern end of the airfield on the A233 and through the business park
HTH
Andy

Thanks for that I'll give that a go tomorrow then hopefully there will be a sign or two about.

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

See you there tomorrow guys :yahoo:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

stuart n wrote:See you there tomorrow guys :yahoo:

fingers crossed for excellent weather, lunch made, camera batteries charged, all packed and ready to roll!
andygolfer

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

According to BBC teletext there are 18 Hurricanes!!,wrong as usual.

John in Seaford

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Selective editing again. The headline actually said '18 Hurricanes and Spitfires' not just 18 Hurricanes.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Just to correct it said 18 Hurricanes and 6 Spitfires earlier it has now after checking been changed.

John

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Any idea on exact take off times please, as hoping to spot these near to Detling?
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

iGol66

Post by iGol66 »

Just now on the BBC news channel main reporter said there will be 18 hurricanes and 6 spitfires, and then the reporter at Biggin Hill said 19 spitfires and 5 hurricanes.

southyorkshireman

Post by southyorkshireman »

and a mustang!

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Well as Non Events go, that was pretty special! Spec's in the distance.Waste of time, hopefully good for all at Biggin, although weather has turned a bit bad now.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

tankbuster81 wrote:Well as Non Events go, that was pretty special! Spec's in the distance.Waste of time, hopefully good for all at Biggin, although weather has turned a bit bad now.

Seeing a lot of this from "enthusiasts" on forums and social media, not sure what was expected; big wings down on the deck, possibly inverted? Seems everyone else enjoyed it though!

I, however, was sat in an office, so saw nothing.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Totally understand the reason's for these thing's happening, weather probably the main factor as raining now and a bit breezy.However with West Malling being a significant place, with big historical links, i would have thought they would have passed directly overhead? They manage it weekly after all as solo and 2 ships, mainly Tuesday and Wednesday's.Simply disappointed.
That aside i hope it went well for folk from this site who visited Biggin Hill,and look forward to seeing any photo's taken.

Andy

vicarage

Post by vicarage »

I cycled to the road end of the runway (lots of bad partking, no cones or policement) and watched them all take off over the field, which was rather dull. I cycled down to the field and stood on a mound for a much better second half as they circled round and round. Never seen so many planes in the air at once, the game was to see how many specks you could get in one shot, I think my best was 14. It took ages for them all to land.

As a far as the price go it was fun for free, but I wouldn't have paid. The organisers had pitched the £40 pricepoint correctly to sell out a few days before for the size of event they wanted.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Was it dry? Hasn't stopped raining in Essex all day.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Szazomy

Post by Szazomy »

Just got back from this and it felt like something very special. I was stunned at the number of people who showed up to watch, as I did, from the main road. They put on quite a spectacular show, and I don't think I've ever seen so many in the air all at once. I think a similarly huge gathering at one of the final Battle of Britain Summer Airshows they did at Biggin Hill in the early 2000's may still have this one beat, for the sake of the weather that time being superb.

I think the £40 entry was a bit steep myself, but then was happy with the view I got from outside for this one, and there were clearly more than enough people willing to pay that price. It's very local for me, but nonetheless I'm glad I made the effort to see this. I don't know if it will transfer into photographs very well, but the spectacle of the whole thing was amazing. After being a bit disappointed by the Festival of Flight earlier this year, this makes up for it as a bit of a delayed epilogue.

vicarage

Post by vicarage »

It was dry with leaden skies, and a few spots as I cycled away, and a little more just as I put the kettle on :-)

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Just got home from Biggin,was a great spectacle to witness. Positioned myself right down the left end so was next to the aircraft as they taxied out and was a shame that the commentary didn't stretch all the way down so missed out on that part of it.

Dan, were just a few spots towards the end. Just got back to Chelmsford and nothing as heavy as got here at mo.

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

Amazed to see so many people watching from all vantage points around the airfield, some excellent views of spitfires filling the sky, with the backdrop of London, were had from a field at the east end of the runway. Very impressed listening on the radio to the pilots of the various formations, respect is certainly due. :clap:

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Offbreed wrote:Amazed to see so many people watching from all vantage points around the airfield, some excellent views of spitfires filling the sky, with the backdrop of London, were had from a field at the east end of the runway. Very impressed listening on the radio to the pilots of the various formations, respect is certainly due. :clap:

That's what amazed me,the sheer number of people outside the airfield,even going south there were cars parked in every available space even as far south as Brasted,everywhere I drove there were folks gazing skywards !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

some coverage from the Beeb: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33966632

should be loads more elsewhere judging by the number of press reporters / photographers there, sadly some seemed so engrossed in their photos that they forgot to ensure they didn't block the paying spectators' views on many occasions. I felt they actually spoilt the day for me a bit especially the take off when they just spread and spread beyond their fence line well across the airfield blocking mine and many others' views.
When they opened up the flightline to the public a Beeb reporter and his friend decided to get into one of the spitfire cockpits in turn to take pics of each other which was a bit frustrating ,shame they couldn't have waited until the flightline closed at 3pm.

Despite that the sight of all those Spitfires and Hurricanes together was excellent and for me the best part was the 'scramble' start up - all those merlins!
andygolfer