Bournemouth Air Festival 2015

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
westhamfan84

Re: Bournemouth Air Festival 2015

Post by westhamfan84 »

What happened with the blades today?
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

eddywinch82 wrote:Why didn't the BBMF Dakota display at Bournemouth today ? Was it weathered in at RAF Coningsby ?

Had a technical problem with the starter generator on Friday (I spoke to Seb the pilot), assuming they didn't get it fixed in time, shame

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Tilney.G wrote:
westhamfan84 wrote:What happened with the blades today?

One has a tech issue so they had to land back at Bournemouth.

Yeah one of them had a radio failure, so they aborted

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Adie, what exactly is the starter generator ?

greatdogs

Post by greatdogs »

Great all round Air festival,night air on friday was very good,the Typhoon just amazing and the Vulcan today something special.All on my doorstep and free! :clap:

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Brilliant display this afternoon, particularly enjoyed the Vulcan and Typhoon.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

eddywinch82 wrote:Adie, what exactly is the starter generator ?

I'm not an engineer by any stretch, but my limited knowledge tells me it rotates the engine fast enough so the fuel can be ignited during engine start up!

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Thanks for your reply. I see so it's an external device that starts the engine !?

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

eddywinch82 wrote:Thanks for your reply. I see so it's an external device that starts the engine !?

Pretty sure it's part of the engine assembly rather than an external device, kinda hoping an engineer minded person steps in now to correct/help me out here... ! :grin:

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Adie1980 wrote:
eddywinch82 wrote:Why didn't the BBMF Dakota display at Bournemouth today ? Was it weathered in at RAF Coningsby ?

Had a technical problem with the starter generator on Friday (I spoke to Seb the pilot), assuming they didn't get it fixed in time, shame

Got told by the BBMF guys on the ground it had problems with its thermostat :confused: And I wondered what happened with the blades as you couldn't really hear the commentator.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Brilliant weekend of flying, from the subtle skills of Reva to the raw power of the Typhoon, with the jaw droppingly awesome Vulcan display the cherry on the top.

Loved the Sea Vixen too- my second fave jet, but boy does she have big shoes to fill next season!!
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

fastandloud

Post by fastandloud »

Did anyone get a video of the fantastic short display be Bill Ramsey on Sat - complete with those amazing howls

kph100

Post by kph100 »

Tilney.G wrote:
westhamfan84 wrote:What happened with the blades today?

One has a tech issue so they had to land back at Bournemouth.

They tweeted to say one had an intercom problem, hence could not continue.

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

From the racket over Boscombe, I'd say the Typhoon departed about half an hour ago....
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

Post by 5944 »

Rory76 wrote:From the racket over Boscombe, I'd say the Typhoon departed about half an hour ago....

It was meant to depart at 10.30, so quite probable.

Post by 106500 »

All in all a great couple of days for us. Very warm but reletively poor visibility on Saturday made for limited photo opportunities especially earlier on. Sunday was much better despite the poor weather in the morning (ironically as soon as the display commenced the weather was fantastic!). Vulcan was outstanding both days as was the Vixen; definite highlights together with the Typhoon. Pity about the reduced Night Air display on Saturday but understandable and still a spectacle. Blades had some bad luck on both days and crowd substantially down on Sunday. This was possibly a combination of the bad weather early on and the sad events at Shoreham.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

fastandloud wrote:Did anyone get a video of the fantastic short display be Bill Ramsey on Sat - complete with those amazing howls

I thought it was Phil O'Dell flying?

Aviation94

Post by Aviation94 »

fastandloud wrote:Did anyone get a video of the fantastic short display be Bill Ramsey on Sat - complete with those amazing howls

I'll be posting a vid on YouTube later on.
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

fastandloud

Post by fastandloud »

Aviation94 wrote:

Oh thank you - appreciate it.

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB »

Had a fantastic day at Bournemouth yesterday! So glad that we went although I was very tempted to back out considering that it was pouring down at home when I woke up in the morning!

The weather was great once the displays started! Watched from the beach as usual and the highlights for me had to be of course, the Vulcan and in a close second, my first viewing of the Norwegian MiG-15! Thoroughly enjoyed The Matadors too or shall I say Matador as we had a solo display due to tech. issue with the other aircraft. Another favourite for me was the unique Bournemouth Air Fest Beach Assault which this year included two commando 'Junglie' Sea Kings and two Wildcats from Yeovilton. Probably the last time that we'll see RN 'Junglie' Sea Kings in a flying display. :sad:

Perhaps not such a long flying display this year, but an equally enjoyable one! Thanks to everyone at Bournemouth for organising another great Air Fest! Looking forward to the 2016 event already! :smile: :clap:
My YouTube channel of all sorts (well mostly aviation): http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgcEz-y6zzkh6ueBQH6Qvzw

Aviation94

Post by Aviation94 »

fastandloud wrote:
Aviation94 wrote:

Oh thank you - appreciate it.

Here you go:

https://youtu.be/tQId-8xn-yE
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

keety

Post by keety »

What can I say? Went with low expectations.. usual stuff and a Mig 15 to watch...

Thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Highlight had to be the Beach Assault (Saturday)... I know the Navy said they would outdo last year.. blimey, I didn't know where to look, it was all going off... especially liked the guy fast roping out of the Seaking, missing the boat and landing in the drink.... The large ships started kicking off and ig explosions on the beach... cracking stuff!

I guess I enjoyed it more as I put the camera down for a lot of it.. I've got thousands of photos from previous years and RIAT, so thought I'd just try and get some shots of specific planes (Mig,Vulcan and Typhoon)... I much prefered the sitting and watching to holding 6kg of kit....

The static Army displays were pretty good, enjoyed squeezing in into the Challenger and AS90 (christ it's big!)

managed to annoy the MRs by getting a photo of my 5 year old daughter holding an H&K MP5 and my 9 year old son holding an RPG-9

:)

If anyone's bothered my photos are at http://www.keety.net

A Cracking day out and really well organised.

Next year I'd liek to see a bit more effort put into the winter gardens in the evenings. We stayed for the utterly superb Night Air, Itwould have been good to have a bit more going on in the Gardens, the tea lights etc that are normally on on a Wednesday were a missed opportunity)

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

keety wrote:
If anyone's bothered my photos are at http://www.keety.net

Some great pictures there, especially of the Typhoon!
Twitter @WordsFromGareth Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/justgareth/albums (i'm no pro, just enjoy taking pics)

keety

Post by keety »

Thanks... you can get some nice shots from up on the cliffs.... popped along after work on Friday for the Typhoon shots...

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

keety wrote:Thanks... you can get some nice shots from up on the cliffs.... popped along after work on Friday for the Typhoon shots...

Yeah that is where I went on Friday this year. Last year I did all 4 days on the beach. This year I just the one day, and I must admit my photos from the cliff top have come out much better than the beach shots of last year! Still trawling through mine and uploading them.
Twitter @WordsFromGareth Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/justgareth/albums (i'm no pro, just enjoy taking pics)