MAKS 2015

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
strangelookingalien

Re: MAKS 2015

Post by strangelookingalien »

Sorry to attempt a thread hijack by posting again, but does anyone know if its ok to walk onto the base? I'm only persistent as I leave tomorrow! :)

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

Hi,
In the past I have been dropped if at one of the entrances ( the Ilyushin entrance) and just walked on through to the ticket gate at car park 3 .On every visit you see loads of people suited , booted and brief cased walking to the entrances so unless things have changed this year there shouldn't be any problem with walking on through.

As for those thinking of happy snapping at the Migs, Sukhois etc beyond the "satalite" sheds a word of caution.If you get sussed by a well peed off conscript looking to vent his bored frustration you could well have nothing left on your memory card or have your film exposed after spending the day in a steaming hot tent with a bottle of warm water. I once did and was very very lucky to get away with it but others weren't so lucky ,

Safe journey to all and here's hoping to a cracking show.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Apparently MAKS will see the debut of a naval version of the SU-30.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

chill51

Post by chill51 »

Mike

Uniden UBC 780 XLT
Winradio WR-G31DDC Excalibur
Drake R8A
Diamond D.777
Wellbrook ALA 1530L
AirNav

frank

Post by frank »

Photography looks quite challenging - fence and sun position. :sad: Wonder where Peter S was positioned for those great shots in the airshow photos threads.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

What an incredible show. Virtually everything there was brand new to me, and it wasn't' until later in the day that I realised I'd seen a Mainstay, Blackjack, Backfire, Halo, Havoc, Hokum and myriad other types, all in day, right up close. The Su-35 display must be the single best fast jet display imaginable, I've never seen an aircraft move like that. Preposterous stuff. And I still can't believe that I've actually seen a T-50. THe quality was unreal. Who'd have thought we'd see a MiG 1.44?! I'm also pretty pleased to say that I've now been on both a Concorde and a Tu-144.

What was annoying was that we went on the Friday and Sunday, and the Sunday flying display seemed to be missing about half of the acts. Whilst the Falcons flew on the Friday, they were absent on the Sunday as was the huge helicopter flypast. That was a real disappoint. And I didn't get to see the Wings of Tavrida once, which was a real shame.

Can also highly recommend the Ian Allen tour very highly. Everything we did was superb fun.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"Pepsi MAKS" - Tom Jones reports from the Russian capital for their biannual aviation trade show.

Image Image Image Image Image

frank

Post by frank »

Very interesting and informative review with some great shots there.
Given the comments about the packed crowd line, six foot fence and shooting into the sun (which I would echo from my visit 2 years ago), can I ask what lens you were using and are the photos significantly cropped for the review
Only asking as I plan to attend in 2 years time and want to get as much info as possible.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Sam and I both went on the tour with Iain Allen, to save the hassle of doing it alone. As part of the tour, one day was spent inside, one day was outside.

This was the crowd up to the fence, where photography of the flying is pretty difficult, even if you did manage to wade through the masses to the front:

All flying shots bar one in the above review were taken outside with my Tamron 70-300mm. Feel free to PM me if you need any other info on anything about the trip. :smile:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Well...apart from the ones that were taken with my Sigma 120-400, of course...

Oh and the Flankers in front of the sun was Tamron 18-270.
But yes, if you want the sunlit shots you will have to go outside the base. Some people on our tour did multiple days outside by getting taxis there and back.

frank

Post by frank »

Thanks to both for replies. Very helpful. :smile:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I would also add that there is a really significant distance between the static display and the crowd line. Again, whether this is par for the course of trade shows or not, others would know better than me.