Jersey Air Display 2015

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
CJS

Re: Jersey Air Display 2015

Post by CJS »

Stu666 wrote:It always puzzles me why they hold the Jersey air show in the week during term time.

As a lad, Jersey was only the second air show I'd ever attended, way back in 1993, and I have lovely memories of watching the display from Elizabeth Castle. Unfortunately this is an event my children are unlikely to experience, particularly with the current school absence rules, which are very much stricter than in my day.

It's a shame really, because I'd base a holiday around it if it was held during late July/August.

Perhaps the timing helps to secure aircraft which might be busy over the summer months? Jersey seem to have an enviable habit of securing the Swedish Historic Flight in numbers each year, the slightly later date and midweek schedule might help that maybe?
Chris
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Stu

Post by Stu »

Update for JIAD 2015 from Darren Dupre its starting to look good

Well I finally have some news on this years line up.

Royal Air Force Aerobatic Teams (Red Arrows)
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (Fingers crossed that the Lancaster will be back in the air otherwise just Spitfire, Hurricane and the DC3)
RAF Tutor
RAF SeaKing (Role Demo)

Royal Navy SeaKing (Role Demo)
Royal Navy Merlin (Park Static)

The Polish Navy will once again support the static display with their Antonow-28 B1R "Bryza"

The Swedish Historic Flight will be back with the Draken, Viggen, Tunnan and SK60

Joining the above and in no particular order:

Lufthansa Ju-52
Travel Air R Mystery Ship
Yakolev Yak-3
CAC Boomerang
Breguet Alize
Magni-24 Orion Gyrocopter (Our resident Jersey gyro pilot has Upgraded!)
DHC-2 Beaver Amphibian (Weather permitting we hope to get this on the water!)

I am afraid that's it for now - Mike is still working on a few others and as usual I will publish as soon as he firms up on the bookings.

With the SeaKing shortly to be phased out of UK service this may well be the last time we see it perform at the Jersey show.

I will endeavour to get the Aircraft pages updated with a few photos and technical information in the next week or so.
Olympus Cameras

UBC780XLT
DJ-X10
DJ-X3

Representing www.simplyplanes.co.uk

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Alize! :drool:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Great to see the Alizé listed. Would love to see it on the UK mainland in 2016.

st24

Post by st24 »

Boomerang!!! :drool:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

st24 wrote:Boomerang!!! :drool:

Is that coming back again? :question:

I thought Sea Kings would be gone by the time of this show. Nice looking line up. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

capercaillie wrote:
st24 wrote:Boomerang!!! :drool:

Is that coming back again? :question:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Patrick H

Post by Patrick H »

Great, looking forward to this one. :up: :up:

frank

Post by frank »

I booked my flights and hotel back in June for this and waited patiently for updates. Great to see the SWAF confirmed and wow - Boomerang and Alize - wasn't expecting that. Normally go to the castle for photos but presumably the last two mentioned will fly in the display line closer to the shoreline. Dilema now on where to go!
Was really really hoping for the Vulcan as well - maybe that's what Mike is working on - who knows :whistle:
Thanks for the update.

ps just realised I can go see them on static at airport so castle it is

Bronco

Post by Bronco »

Latest additions are the Bronco and Sea Vixen

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Sea Vixen :yahoo: All we need now is the weather to play ball and this will be an absolute cracker!

frank

Post by frank »

itfcscott wrote:Sea Vixen :yahoo: All we need now is the weather to play ball and this will be an absolute cracker!

Yahoo from me too - come on sun you know you want to come out and play
:clap: :clap:

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

I did Jersey last year and watched from the promenade in front of the park area where they had the static helicopters. Needless to say firing into the sun made it poor for photography. I see some people use Elizabeth Castle. I am keen to use this location but can't find much information about using it on airshow day. For anyone who has used it, I have a few questions...

How do I access the area? I assume by some sort of ferry but where can this be boarded from?

Is there a charge to use the castle area to view the airshow? I.e do I have to pay to go into the castle itself?

Is viewing from the area from inside the castle or are there grounds surrounding it?

Plus if anyone has any other advice or information on this location I would very much appreciate it.
Twitter @WordsFromGareth Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/justgareth/albums (i'm no pro, just enjoy taking pics)

Timc

Post by Timc »

Elizabeth Castle is a pretty good vantage point and to get there you take the ferry which to all intent and purposes is an amphibious taxi which is located pretty much opposite the castle, you can't really miss it. Here you can purchase a combined ferry and castle ticket which I think is around £13.00.

There's no external grounds to the castle but some people make it up into the tower battlements which avoids shooting into the sun most of the time.

When the show is over you can make it back along the causeway as by this time the tide is out.

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

Timc wrote:Elizabeth Castle is a pretty good vantage point and to get there you take the ferry which to all intent and purposes is an amphibious taxi which is located pretty much opposite the castle, you can't really miss it. Here you can purchase a combined ferry and castle ticket which I think is around £13.00.

There's no external grounds to the castle but some people make it up into the tower battlements which avoids shooting into the sun most of the time.

When the show is over you can make it back along the causeway as by this time the tide is out.

Awesome, thank you. Now all I need to do is scrape together some cash to go!
Twitter @WordsFromGareth Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/justgareth/albums (i'm no pro, just enjoy taking pics)

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Just to expand on Tim's post, the ferry leaves from (roughly) the point I've put on the map: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/49% ... !1s0x0:0x0

IanC

Post by IanC »

Looking at the tide times this year high tide is at 17:43 and if the display finishes at about 5pm I don't think you will be able to walk back until a several hours later.. There would not seem to be a problem in walking out prior to the display.

This is the exact opposite of conditions last year. We arrived mid morning to get the ferry out to the castle only to find that all crossing were booked. Fortunately the tide dropped just enough for us to wade across just before the beach was closed for the display. Some of the problem may well have been due to a corporate event taking place within the castle grounds.

Ian

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

itfcscott wrote:Just to expand on Tim's post, the ferry leaves from (roughly) the point I've put on the map: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/49% ... !1s0x0:0x0

Perfect, thanks Scott! Appreciate you taking the time to do that for me :)

IanC wrote:Looking at the tide times this year high tide is at 17:43 and if the display finishes at about 5pm I don't think you will be able to walk back until a several hours later.. There would not seem to be a problem in walking out prior to the display.

This is the exact opposite of conditions last year. We arrived mid morning to get the ferry out to the castle only to find that all crossing were booked. Fortunately the tide dropped just enough for us to wade across just before the beach was closed for the display. Some of the problem may well have been due to a corporate event taking place within the castle grounds.

Ian

Probably a good idea that I get across there early then! Thanks Ian!

tu16

Post by tu16 »

MIG15 & Fire Flies RV4s (who are they?) added

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Norwegian Mig 15 which has been at nearly every show this year and Firefly's are a display team using 2 RV4s.They are pretty good.Its all on the Jersey AirShow website

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

tu16 wrote:Fire Flies RV4s (who are they?) added

Newly-formed Van's RV-4 pair - pilots are Jon Gowdy and Andy Durston. I think they debuted at Bournemouth?

frank

Post by frank »

tu16 wrote:MIG15 & Fire Flies RV4s added

Really pleased to hear about Mig15 - it was at Dunsfold on Saturday but it was raining and light was poor for photography.
Another chance to see it
Very pleased

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Pablo wrote:
tu16 wrote:Fire Flies RV4s (who are they?) added

Newly-formed Van's RV-4 pair - pilots are Jon Gowdy and Andy Durston. I think they debuted at Bournemouth?

Indeed they did debut at Bournemouth, alongside Brendan O'Brien as part of a night air slot. Not at the same level as something like the RV8tors or the Matadors (wouldn't expect from a brand new team), but flew an enjoyable routine.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

The timetable for the show has now been posted on the show website, looking great!

http://jerseyairdisplay.org.uk/news/timetable.php

frank

Post by frank »

and weather forecast is excellent :smile: