Dunsfold Wings and Wheels 2015

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Re: Dunsfold Wings and Wheels 2015

Post by tankbuster81 »

Great day at the show yesterday with some really great Display's. The atmosphere was really good,with the audience clapping almost everything.The minutes silence at the start was eerie,but seemed to be adhered to by all,which was a special moment.Standout displays for me being Rich Goodwin in the Pitts S.2 ,mind blowing aerobatics. The Chinook and Solo Typhoon get better year on year, The Vulcan Howled away 2-3 times with the superb Kev Rumens at the controls,so i knew it would be good.The Reds Seem to be tighter and more flowing than ever this year,especially with the awful weather they flew in yesterday,simply stunning to watch.

The Hawk T2 Demo ,as at Riat, is to disjointed and distance at times,and i feel needs re-jigging.The little Mig 15 performed an array of sweeping flypasts,and was a joy to watch and listen to,and the OFMC pair at the end closer and lower than ever!

We watched through sun,and rain (This morning things are still drying off) but it was well worth the effort,and Bendan O' Brien need's to be on stage, piecing the whole thing together perfectly with fact and lots of humour, especially the umbrella up and down participation form the crowd.

As ever the only negative was trying to get out. Totally unmarshalled, stop-start,and going from 5 lanes to 4 to 3 and so on, so a free for all which took around an hour to get out.The only marshall waving us off after we had negotiated the aforementioned un-policed chaos.This really need's addressing.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Sezzy

Post by Sezzy »

We had a fantastic day yesterday, really good. It was absolute chaos getting out, we sat and watched until 7.30pm but even then it was still very slow.

Does anyone know what happened to The Blades? I was away from the speakers but they seemed to be there one moment and then gone the next? Was that their full display?

Also, why was there no Jet Provost? Unless I somehow missed it? But I can't see that happening...

Anyway, fantastic day, it was very bad visibility when the MiG displayed but will hopefully be better weather when we see it at Duxford!
Don't be afraid of the dark... Let it be afraid of you.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Sezzy wrote:Does anyone know what happened to The Blades? I was away from the speakers but they seemed to be there one moment and then gone the next? Was that their full display?

Also, why was there no Jet Provost? Unless I somehow missed it? But I can't see that happening...!

I seem to recall reading earlier in the thread that the Blades leader had in issue with his radio so had to stop the display. No mention of the JP today either, but assuming that Andy Hill was down to fly I over the weekend as he does regularly.

No rain here so far today, got the lunch break...sorry car things....at the moment. What a fabulous show this is, better than RIAT or any other of the big shows for me. The commentary team are absolutely top class, wish Melvyn and Brendan were paired together more often add so much to the show!

Rich Goodwin put on a superb display with a car (Porsche maybe), encapsulated the whole spirit of the show. Great fun!

K213

Post by K213 »

Vulcan has had to return to Doncaster because of weather and will not be appearing this afternoon at Dunsfold.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

As Sean has just said on the commentary, safety does indeed come first. A shame, but plenty more on offer at the show...although the many who have stormed off around me don't seem to realise.

DanH

Post by DanH »

itfcscott wrote:As Sean has just said on the commentary, safety does indeed come first. A shame, but plenty more on offer at the show...although the many who have stormed off around me don't seem to realise.

You'd think after last weekend that people would be more understanding than ever of them erring on the side of caution.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

Had a cracking day today, despite the disappointing but wholly understandable cancellation of the Vulcan.

There was still plenty of good variety in the flying display, and as always the show had a very relaxed and family atmosphere, definitely helped by Melvyn and Brendan's entertaining commentary.
Thankfully, we managed to escape the weather that had hampered the Vulcan and it stayed dry (albeit cloudy) all day

The CAA restrictions certainly didn't dampen the Mig-15 display and it was nice to see the two big American bombers.

Despite my concerns, the shuttle buses worked well: The 8:30am bus got me onto site just after 9, and the 1800 got me back to Guildford station by 1840.
In both cases, only about half the seats were taken, hopefully this poor patronage doesn't mean that it won't be repeated. Given the reported issues with traffic yesterday, the show could use more people opting for public transport, not just those of us who have no choice

K213

Post by K213 »

DanH My statement was posted to inform those who read this forum that the Vulcan was not displaying. It is not understood it implies a lack of thought about safety.

The aircrew are in the best position to make a decision and clearly it was to RTB and not risk the airframe , themselves or anyone else and therefore has to be the right decision.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Big hangover prevented me going on the Sunday. I am interested in any feedback re the revised display from the Mig? was is still worthwhile ? did people really miss the "high impact" stuff?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

pbeardmore wrote:Big hangover prevented me going on the Sunday. I am interested in any feedback re the revised display from the Mig? was is still worthwhile ? did people really miss the "high impact" stuff?

I enjoyed the Mig with end to end passes, I don't think anything was missed by it not doing more aerobatic type manoeuvres. The whole day was fabulous,all displays top notch,and a packed crowd appeared to love it all.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

Out of curiosity did the JP fly on the Sunday? After the revisions following Shoreham it and the MiG were down for multiple flypasts, but on Saturday there was no JP. I didn't hear an announcement over the PA, though whilst wandering around the site I was often unable to hear the commentators so I many have missed it. I wasn't sure whether it pulled out due to the new regulations or whether it was u/s. I'm not complaining, I do love the JP but with what happened at Shoreham any cancellation would be understandable. Anyone able to shed some light on this for me?
Twitter @WordsFromGareth Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/justgareth/albums (i'm no pro, just enjoy taking pics)

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

No sign of the JP on Sunday either.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Gareth V wrote:I wasn't sure whether it pulled out due to the new regulations or whether it was u/s. I'm not complaining, I do love the JP but with what happened at Shoreham any cancellation would be understandable. Anyone able to shed some light on this for me?

The JP is most often piloted by Andy Hill.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

A look on the Jet Aerobatics website (http://jetaerobatics.weebly.com/airshows.html) reveals why it did not make Dunsfold or a scheduled appearance at Bruntingthorpe this weekend:

"Unable to attend due to restrictions at Shoreham Airport"

Are jets currently banned from operating out of Shoreham? Sounds like the appearance would have been met otherwise had these restrictions not been in place.

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:
Gareth V wrote:I wasn't sure whether it pulled out due to the new regulations or whether it was u/s. I'm not complaining, I do love the JP but with what happened at Shoreham any cancellation would be understandable. Anyone able to shed some light on this for me?

The JP is most often piloted by Andy Hill.

Also often flown by Dan Arlett who flew it the last time it went to Dunsfold.

As for it being stuck at Shoreham, it landed there on the Friday before the show so it could be any number of things such as restrictions at the airport if there is still ongoing work happening on the A27 or possibly pilot availability.
Simon

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying guys :)
Twitter @WordsFromGareth Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/justgareth/albums (i'm no pro, just enjoy taking pics)