Shuttleworth Pageant Airshow - 6th September

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Pringles

Re: Shuttleworth Pageant Airshow - 6th September

Post by Pringles »

Corrections aside, what is the liklihood of the organisers finding a replacement with less than two weeks to go until the show? :question:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

A replacement for what? The Shuttleworth Pageant has always been to show.off as many of the collection's aircraft and vehicles as possible and historically never used to have any visiting acts, are the home based attractions not enough?
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

svas_volunteer wrote:A replacement for what? The Shuttleworth Pageant has always been to show.off as many of the collection's aircraft and vehicles as possible and historically never used to have any visiting acts, are the home based attractions not enough?

Appreciated, but the pageant has recently featured visitors, last year Hunter, Gladiator, BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane and the Be2s. This year visitors are listed and indeed a visitor has dropped off that presumably had been booked at a cost?

Personally having seen the Blenheim at an earlier show I'd love to see the Snipe and Albatros back as they fit the venue perfectly. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

svas_volunteer wrote:A replacement for what? The Shuttleworth Pageant has always been to show.off as many of the collection's aircraft and vehicles as possible and historically never used to have any visiting acts, are the home based attractions not enough?

I simply meant my comment in that surely there is now a space in the display programme that could be filled by something more appropriate for the venue?? :roll: It was in no way an insult for the collection as they are no doubt more interesting than the Edge would have been!

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

No offence taken, I'm confused why people seem to think the collection needs visiting acts to be interesting, I know if it was the same every single show everyone would get bored but once a season I think is fair to have a just the collection show. I know there are lots of based private owner aircraft the collection is fortunate to have access to and they do get used repeatably but the place can carry a show on their own. We've been very fortunate to have the visitors to the show and we've all enjoyed them but no one seems to call for visiting aircraft to be a necessity at other venues?

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

Orion

Post by Orion »

Don't care too much about the cast list I'd go anyway. The weather however might just be an issue.

Regards

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Orion wrote:The weather however might just be an issue.

According to Accuweather which was quite accurate for RIAT:
Hi 17° Precipitation 3%
Times of clouds and sun

I don't want to jinx it though as I'm sure it'll change to heavy thunderstorms :biggrin:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I'd say that it's far too early to be talking about the weather forecast, but time will tell!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

A question for those who have been before: when does the historic car parade take place and what is the traffic like to get in just before the parade begins? Thanks in advance

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

Pringles wrote:A question for those who have been before: when does the historic car parade take place and what is the traffic like to get in just before the parade begins? Thanks in advance

According to the website the flying starts at 14:15 so would guess car parade around 13:15 - 13:30 (do not quote me on this) and there should not be a problem on the traffic into the site as most people tend to arrive before 12pm.

Cheers
Peter

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I note there is a fly in at Stow Maries this weekend, with the Be2e, Snipe and Albatros all scheduled to be there, so sadly it doesn't look like they'll make it this time to OW (I appreciate they are not advertised). :sad:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Their appearance at the Wings & Wheels show was billed as the last chance to see them in the air at Old Warden this year.

Would like to see some more visitors to this show - pricey these days and although it's much further for me, Cosby looks like offering far more "bang for your buck".

Appreciate its the main Collection showcase, but having visited a couple of times already this year it's the variety of visitors that makes or breaks the decision to attend.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Appreciate its the main Collection showcase, but having visited a couple of times already this year it's the variety of visitors that makes or breaks the decision to attend.

I tend to agree, as mentioned above, although the first showing of the Comet was a big pull at the pageant last year, combined with glorious skies, there were more visitors including the Gladiator. If this one had the Fury or Nimrod coming over, or as mentioned that Seafire III to join the Sea Hurricane, I'd be more tempted to make the 300 mile round trip. As it is and as much as I love the place, only the red Mew Gull would be new. :dunno:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

The Seafire is at Cosby, along with the Blenheim.

Mew Gull I saw at OW for the Best of British evening show. Pretty sure I saw it there last year too. Nice as it is, it doesn't have 'star power' for me - of all the air racing types, only the Comet has that x-factor.

Hopefully they can book a few items for the October show. No reason why the Blenheim couldn't return in principle - as stated, the red Mew has been booked at least once before this year, and Spitfire N3200 has made two appearances this summer also, so they're not averse to bringing back visitors.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Mmmm, closer to home with a few more types I could do with pics of, I may go there instead. Cheers for that. :up:

Orion

Post by Orion »

Orion wrote:Don't care too much about the cast list I'd go anyway. The weather however might just be an issue.

Regards

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2655689

Looks to be pretty cloudy on Sunday.

Regards

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Orion wrote:Looks to be pretty cloudy on Sunday.

Not looking too bad now.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

AlexC wrote:
Orion wrote:Looks to be pretty cloudy on Sunday.

Not looking too bad now.

A lot better than was forecast a couple of days ago, although wind could be an issue - not sure of the chances of us seeing the Edwardians?

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

It's been a long time since I've seen them in the air. I'd be just happy to see the WWI aircraft flying, they've been unable to get airbourne on my last few visits to Old Warden.

Exiler

Post by Exiler »

Many thanks to the collection today for running an extra bus considering the rail issues today. Truly appreciated!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Excellent show yesterday. Some really nice flying - pleased to see the WW1 aircraft up after they weren't able to fly in the Military Pageant show, and nicely displayed they were too.

BBMF Dakota was underwhelming (always is actually - it's like the wooden spoon of the BBMF's fleet). Could easily live without that at the next show personally, unless PA474 is back in the air by then and they can do a swap.

Extra 300s do nothing for me at this venue either, even the great Mark Jefferies at the controls. Just not what I go to Old Warden for.

Shame the Comet went tech. The light was perfect and I thought I was gonna get the shots I missed out on last September.

Shame also that the P-40 was parked so far away from the crowd. I was looking forward to getting some close-up pics of that again, having not seen it since the rollout event in 2013.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Perfect weather! Just shows that you can't trust the weather forecast two or three days beforehand. Just like the famous box of choc-o-lates, 'you never know what you're gonna get'. Never really understood that because you do know what you're gonna get, they're all shown on the choc-o-late box. :wall:

Good show I thought, although shame about the Comet. Think I heard the commentator say that the Kittyhawk was based at Duxford. I thought it was based at North Weald, but I could be wrong. He also said that a lot of KC-10's had been retired to the airfield where he kept his aircraft, and that they were ex-RAF. Now that I know was wrong.

I agree that the Dakota was 'underwhelming', thought that we may have seen a bit of a topside pass.
Last edited by AlexC on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

It is based at North Weald. One of a few mistakes I picked up in the comms, one of which was "three airworthy Magisters" when there were four in formation at Old Warden just six weeks ago...

Who was it on comms? Prefer Tim Callaway personally (although I do hate that cheesy slogan he uses to describe the venue, and wish he'd never say it again).

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

According to the programme he was Mark Whall.

What was the 'cheesy slogan'?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

AlexC wrote:According to the programme he was Mark Whall.

What was the 'cheesy slogan'?

Thanks.

Callaway's slogan is to refer to OW as "the big green time machine", which is just awful.