Shuttleworth Uncovered 4 October 2015

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
vintage ATCO

Shuttleworth Uncovered 4 October 2015

Post by vintage ATCO »

The Vulcan has been announced for this show.
vA
stevelevien.com

County1884

Re: Shuttleworth Uncovered 4 October 2015

Post by County1884 »

Was torn between going to Warwick to see 558 or going to Old Warden for the season finale Airshow.

Happy days for me :smile:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Was always intending on attending, but a final chance to see XH558 has sold it for me! :rock:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Good enough excuse not to go.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

A Seafire III would make it even better :heyhey:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Seafire III & Sea Hurricane in formation would just be incredible..! :drool:

JohnF

Post by JohnF »

For info. SVAS members will not be able to purchase on the day unlike the last time the Vulcan was at OW. Purchased my ticket today & they were saying tickets will be limited so you'd better get your ticket sooner rather than later.

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

When it was announced at today's show (Sep 6) that tickets were on sale in the Visitors' Centre for SVAS members a queue formed. Tickets go on sale for SVAS members over the telephone tomorrow. Non-SVAS members are asked to book online. Expect the event to sell out.

Remember also that this is Shuttleworth Uncovered and that the main paddock will used for aeroplanes and not car parking. There is plenty of room at Shuttleworth for car parking but those arriving later may not park as close as they usually do.

Edit: Crossed with JohnF. Wot he says.
vA
stevelevien.com

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Sold!

Needs more Seafire though. Cancel the BBMF, didn't think they were much cop today.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

The rest of the visiting aircraft, for anyone who's interested:

Avro Vulcan (display)
Dakota (BBMF)
Extra 330SC
Spartan Executive (static)
Bleriot from ‘Friends of Saint-Hippolyte’ (static)
Yak 52 (Airmobility)

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Pen Pusher wrote:Good enough excuse not to go.

Brian

Does that mean you WON'T be going ?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Correct. Wont be going.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

It's a bit of a shame that it's the Uncovered show that 558 will be at, as if they sell as many tickets as the last time she was there it could be difficult to get a good shot of the aircraft on the grass due to the number of people. I'm still going though, not going to let that stop me.

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

Blimey...! Ticket now bought...!

When I live so near to Old Warden, it would be foolish to pass up the chance to see the Vulcan one last time before she retires.

I hope the organisation is as efficient as it was earlier in the year, when the Vulcan was there. Very smooth despite the crowds...
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Well, looks like since the announcement the possible demand has broken The Shuttleworth Collection website...

:sad:

fiesty fox

Post by fiesty fox »

As SVAS members we all ways go to the uncovered event but will give this one a miss, we do like to see the Vulcan but I fear there will be to many people around for getting good photographs.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

fiesty fox wrote:As SVAS members we all ways go to the uncovered event but will give this one a miss, we do like to see the Vulcan but I fear there will be to many people around for getting good photographs.

We went though all this in July and it was a perfectly civilised and "normal" day at Old Warden - a big crowd, but not packed and nor was it in any way uncivilised. Those who got on their high horse that day missed out, and will do so again next month.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Will be nice to go to Shuttleworth again, will definitely consider it. However, I think I saw that it might be the Vulcan's last ever display? So it might be busy again! But as Dan says, July's show was far from unpleasant for it
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

County1884

Post by County1884 »

Website now working, Have just booked my tickets, The weather has been really good for this one the last two years so fingers crossed...... :smile:

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I would fully expect this show to sell out in short order - be quick guys

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

There were no problems that I noticed with the crowd for the July show when the Vulcan was there, so why would there be this time?

Managed to get my tickets this morning, looking forwards to the show, and the "final" Vulcan display,

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

All booked up. :up: I can't imagine photography is too challenging at Old Warden with greater crowds due to the airfield's natural slope downhill? Haven't made a show here since October 2012 so will be glad to return.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Talldan76 wrote:There were no problems that I noticed with the crowd for the July show when the Vulcan was there, so why would there be this time?....

Because it's "Shuttleworth Uncovered", which means that some of the space normally used for car parking will be used to park aircraft to allow the public a closer look at them.Less space, same number of people (unless Shuttleworth have limited the number of tickets available to less than the attendance at the previous show featuring the Vulcan).
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

phreakf4 wrote:Because it's "Shuttleworth Uncovered", which means that some of the space normally used for car parking will be used to park aircraft to allow the public a closer look at them.Less space, same number of people (unless Shuttleworth have limited the number of tickets available to less than the attendance at the previous show featuring the Vulcan).

It was said numerous times in the commentary on Sunday that tickets for this display would be limited.

Old Warden know their capacity. As stated above, they managed a sell-out crowd in exemplary fashion in July and I have no qualms that they'll be able to do so again in October.

They've posted the following on their facebook page this morning...

Shuttleworth Collection Facebook wrote:For those who attend this show most years the layout on the ground will have some alterations, to allow for a larger crowd, without spoiling the experience - for visitors or the engineers & volunteers who love this show for the chance to talk with so many enthusiastic people smile emoticon.

Also confirmation on there of a new item... the Red Devils parachute team. Urgh. Not what Old Warden is about - chasing the populist vote again, as they have been all year with so many aerobatic types visiting.

Seriously - a plea to the good people at Shuttleworth. Can we PLEASE get the Seafire III in for this show, to fly with the Sea Hurricane? It, along with the Blenheim and Vulcan are by far the three standout items of 2015.

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Also confirmation on there of a new item... the Red Devils parachute team. Urgh. Not what Old Warden is about - chasing the populist vote again, as they have been all year with so many aerobatic types visiting.

Seriously - a plea to the good people at Shuttleworth. Can we PLEASE get the Seafire III in for this show, to fly with the Sea Hurricane? It, along with the Blenheim and Vulcan are by far the three standout items of 2015.

Maybe but they do need to balance the books.

Despite what some on the forum seem to think the "purists" make up a fairly small proportion of the crowd at any airshow, even at Old Warden.

Don't get me wrong, I love the place and am fortunate to live within 30 miles. However I'm quit happy to see a few acts for the great unwashed if it keeps the place solvent!

It is a bit like Radio 3 v Classic FM. I prefer Radio 3 but it couldn't exist as a commercial station.