Southport Airshow 2015

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
silver fox

Re: Southport Airshow 2015

Post by silver fox »

Shyft87 wrote:Hi all,

as someone who's never been before, is there any tat stalls?

I'm looking for stuff to distract the wife during the day

cheers

The usual tat stalls, plus by way of a change, with your little wrist band on you can wander off site a good few shops etc right outside, possibly of interest for those tired of the "high quality grub" served up by the mobile "chuck wagons" on site, there a fair few eateries within yards, nothing exotic, but normal prices for basic grub.

Nyx

Post by Nyx »

Greydrake wrote:you have to head down the coastal road (incredibly bumpy road!) from the north
and you've got to be early we are going in a convoy of 5 cars which should be fun getting through the gates

however on the other side of that if one of your party isn't to good on their legs might be best parking in the normal car park and watching from the wall. walking around on that beach is not easy!

Hi,

Is this the road to enter the beach from?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.64850 ... 312!8i6656

Or https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.65533 ... 312!8i6656

Everywhere mentions "from the north" but I can't seem to see an actual road that enters from the north side.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

The second one is the one we've always used to park on the beach, coming in from the Preston side.

Greydrake

Post by Greydrake »

Yep its the second one! And yep I am up this early...

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

According to http://www.southportairshow.com P-51D Mustang Ferocious Frankie is no longer in the display program. Also the Rolls-Royce Spitfire XIX is now Sunday only, as is the Meteor.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

For info, the beach is very very soggy. Make sure you're waterproof and don't expect to put much down. Theres an extra rope barrier about 5 metres back from the metal one, I presume to stop it flopping over under any sort of strain of folk leaning on it. Cars are parking on the beach so business as usual if a bit messy.

But hey the sun is shining!

Tonka98

Post by Tonka98 »

Will there be replacements for the Spitfire, Meteor, and Mustang today

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

The Spitfire and Hurricane on this list are from Hangar 11?

Anyone know if they stay locally for the show, or fly direct from base?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Imagine at least one of the Spit/Mustang/Meteor have made way for the Reds/Vulcan fly past.
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

T6NL

Post by T6NL »

Stuck at standstill 6.5 miles away for the last hour coming from Leeds. Never ever seen anything like this before. 10x worse than RIAT traffic

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Got train from South Liverpool- it's rammed now, so don't leave it til last minute if you're planning on hopping on from Formby or something.
Ricoh Caplio R5

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Do i trust the published plan or not?

If i do i get 558 down the mersey with liverpool as a backdrop, if i dont i get to see her at southport.....

Given how wrong its been this season, and ATC changes its best for Southport unfortunately. :dizzy:
Got to love Russianhardware

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Superb Vulcan display- a real Rumens special!
Ricoh Caplio R5

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Mixed formation central here today.

Vulcan and Reds, Wildcat and Swordfish and now the Tutor and Bulldog are running in.
Ricoh Caplio R5

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Looks that way.

Cracking solo display from the Teichmann Spitfire tho
Ricoh Caplio R5

Redarrow2727

Post by Redarrow2727 »

Hi does anybody swordfish departing and arriving times for tomorrow and also the mig 15 .
Also what aircraft will come close to the estuary tomorrow thanks in advance

banksy

Post by banksy »

Rory76 wrote:Superb Vulcan display- a real Rumens special!

Fantastic, wasn't it!?!

Loved every second of it.

Left Chester at 9.30 this morning, got to Southport by 10.30, parked up for 11am. Happy with that, as saw people queuing back up the roads having taken a trip to Morrisons to do a spot of nappy changing!!

Amazingly, people still coming in as I was leaving at 3pm!

Well done Southport. Obviously the highlight of the day for me belonged to Avro Vulcan XH558.
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

HeyfordDave111

Southport Airshow 2015

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Stayed from the Chinook until the Extra 300, and the news that both Tiffies had gone tech. (not sure if either got fixed to turn up though)
Loved the Mig display, the Extra 300, the Wildcat and Swordfish 'duo', JP and the Spitfire.

However, i'm glad that although i'm 1 mile from the water in Liverpool, that i didn't go down to see 558 bimble around for 15 minutes awaiting the reds to turn up from K.B. and went to the naughty field south of the pier by half a mile.

My word, the reds in formation was ok, but flat and straight, and definitely not like the curving top side at RIAT. Nice though.

However as soon as Kev (i believe) put on the coals, went round and came back from the south, opening the taps more just by me to herald the return of 558 in earnest to Southport for the last time with a howl to set the hairs standing on the back of your neck i knew we were in for a great display.

Tight, very low (seemingly 250ft from where i was) and noisy, the last climb was the best though, again opening the taps after doing a 110 degree wing over to line up with the display line, a howl of goodbye echo'd across the town as she fled like like a maiden searching for water with her skirts on fire, until about half way between me and the pier before a steep climb and a would he, wouldn't he thought for the final wing over.

Let me tell you........he would!!! my pics show a wing over of RIAT proportions, and.....................................it was the end. Sorry but that was probably my last time seeing the old girl in flight, and i'm afraid i had a tear or 2. as i watched her speed off towards the North East and out of sight.

If i dont get to see the 'last flights', let me say to the TVOC and it's supporters, a hearty thank you. I saw her last RAF display at Cranfield and thought id never share that howl with my son, and i have for many a year now. Thank you to, to Martin, Bill, Kev, Barry, Taff et all, for keeping her displaying and in perfect fettle for this long.

She will live with me in my mind forever and for that i thank you all.
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware

silver fox

Post by silver fox »

Good show today, one or two minor blips in timing, but nothing bad, highlight for me has to be XH558, but the Reds as slick and polished as ever, the Hawk T2 demo made sure we didn't fall asleep and the Typhoon sent us home with ears and bones properly rattled, not really into helicopters, but even they appeared better than usual, must be the weather or I'm getting old.

Redarrow2727

Post by Redarrow2727 »

Going lytham tomorrow what is coming close to lytham or the estuary

DJSmurf2008

Post by DJSmurf2008 »

Fantastic day today. True the schedule went a bit haywire but all in all there was some spectacular performances. Vulcan was just... WOW... Southport is the only airshow i can attend due to travel limitations so never witnessed the famous Howl, but today they pulled it off and my goodness it was good! The red's were as amazing as ever, and the Typhoon rattled bones i didn't think we had haha. The Hawk T2 Role Demo was fab, albeit i was expecting more "beach explosions"... The Spitfire had a helluva run aswell and pulled off some fantastic moves. The Chinook also was a highlight.

Downside for me were the lack of the 2nd Black Cat. It didnt seem to have the same effect doing the usual moves but with no dramatic effect of getting close to the opposite chopper hahaha.

Not sure if they browse this forum but i'll put it here incase they do. Was nice to meet you and we apologise for the little one screaming and hitting you with the balloon hahaha Also hope the spiced rum went down well :)

silver fox

Post by silver fox »

Redarrow2727 wrote:Going lytham tomorrow what is coming close to lytham or the estuary

Judging by today's display, would say very little, Reds in and out of Warton, most coming in from Woodvale or Liverpool.

Redarrow2727

Post by Redarrow2727 »

silver fox wrote:
Redarrow2727 wrote:Going lytham tomorrow what is coming close to lytham or the estuary[/quote

Judging by today's display, would say very little, Reds in and out of Warton, most coming in from Woodvale or Liverpool.

As long as I see reds, swordfish and mig 15 which are using warton and blackpool. Is it possible to see more if its a clear day with binoculars

T6NL

Post by T6NL »

At one point, during the 4 hours of standstill traffic and witnessing some of the worst traffic management I have ever seen in many years of attending Southport Airshow....... I almost performed a U-turn. However, the Typhoon made up for every stressful minute endured with the most magical looking display I have ever seen. That last vertical pull which produced a rainbow induced vapour show had me stood there welling up! Just mesmerizing, period.