Southport Airshow 2015

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Mooshie1956

Re: Southport Airshow 2015

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Really enjoyed todays show. First bit of good weather for me this year which is always a great bonus. 558 stole the show but to be honest it's what I went for and wasn't disappointed at all. I really loved seeing the old Stringbag today. Peter Teichman as always was excellent with his display in the Spitfire, just a real shame his Hurribomber went tech for the old boy in the commentary box that flew them during WW2, I found listening to his commentary a refreshing change, and talking of Commentary it made a great change for 558 to drown out Mr Marfett's commentary :lol: The solo extra I thought was well flown as was the Blades display. I left around 4pm and missed the Reds Tiff and Hawk demo. I preferred to miss all the traffic.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Greydrake

Post by Greydrake »

quite frankly one of the best southport airshows there has been in recent years.

it had its downsides but they were organisational and I'm sure folks will point them out.

however
what was in the sky was magnificent and a pleasure to watch. I will thoroughly miss that Vulcan its display today was just something else. I couldn't believe it rolling all the way over to inverted like it did felt like one last great hurrah.
Although it wasn't just the big things it was every single aircraft in that sky just performing wonderfully.
a huge thank you and congratulations to all the pilots and crew who entertained me and mine so much today! :clap:

Post by 106500 »

Yep agree it was a great show all round (perhaps not quite as good as Sunday last year? - Vulcan and 2 x Lancs). Sorry to hear about traffic problems but we followed the advice and got there at around 9:00 am and it was a doddle. 558 was great and display was on a par with Sat RIAT, Weston and Bournemouth Sunday. One particularly sad moment for me was the last display by a Culdrose SAR Sea King. Downside was just a few gaps in the display due to cancellations but not a major issue.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Did the Tigers Freefall team do their parachute drop ?

DJSmurf2008

Post by DJSmurf2008 »

eddywinch82 wrote:Did the Tigers Freefall team do their parachute drop ?

They did. I forgot to mention them to be honest. Outstanding drops. Huge round of applause too when all landed which was nice :)

Norton

Post by Norton »

That was a great show today, with the biggest crowd I've ever seen in Southport. The weather sure helped. The Vulcan brought a tear to my eye, that's the last time I'll see her fly. Arrows were great as usual but I thought all displays were excellent.

Those complaining about the traffic, sorry but you should have set off earlier. There are only three main roads into the town, there is no solution for such an influx of people

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

So nearly didn't go, but so glad I did. 18 hour day damn near, and drove up from Herefordshire thru fog that had me worrying when it was still lingering round the Mersey- but what a fantastic day of aviation.

The niggles are just that in the scheme of things, and the highlights are just so numerous. For starters of you squelch down to the front, the view is as good as any I can remember seeing at an air show, and as many of the masses stay further back there's no scrum at the front, so if any of you hardcore photographers haven't been, you really are missing a trick.

The obvious star was XH558, a superb Kev Rumens special with howls and wingovers aplenty to follow her sedate arrival with the Reds. The applause that carried on for sometime as she faded into the distance doing justice to the display, and the last 8 years.

The Reds were splendid, as always, and getting to do their full display was obviously a big plus. The Typhoon was phenomenal, could genuinely feel the ground shake on some of the full burner passes and it pulled enough vapour to look like it was wearing John Motson's sheepskin! Great to see the Sea King for one final time- amazing to think they'll also soon be gone. The Scout was a new one for me, and brilliantly flown. Peter Teichmann's Spitfire display was spectacular, really putting her through her paces.

The other acts were great too, and each deserves singling out really- the things the young guy in the Xtreme was doing shouldn't be possible!

Brilliant day, and a bargain at the price!
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

BOB.T

Post by BOB.T »

We had a great day! :)

We parked at Tarleton and cycled in passing around 8 miles of cars. We had a wander round the tat stalls, a wander onto the beach for some displays... that pesky Vulcan blew sand in my eyes! We watched the later part of the show sat on the sea wall in a degree of comfort.

We left after the Typhoon and cycled past some more queueing traffic back to our car.

It was genuinely the most relaxed, stress free and enjoyable airshows I've ever been to! :D (I did shout at a lady...woman, for letting a helium balloon go free as it was 'doing her head in')

Avronut

Post by Avronut »

WOW! I have never seen the Vulcan flown like that at the air shows I've been to these past few years. It brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat especially as my Dad's name is in the bomb bay. He passed away with leukemia last year and would have loved to have seen this.

I felt quite edgy about the weather in the morning but thankfully it cleared up just in time. The highlights for me were the Vulcan with the Red Arrows (of course), Typhoon, Hawk Role Demo, Chinook, MiG, and the Swordfish. I've not seen the Chinook before and I was really impressed with the display. I didn't realise how nimble it is. I enjoyed the Tutor/Bulldog display and The Blades as well.

The only downsides for me were that I couldn't hear the commentary from where I was sat on the promenade (behind the slope to the beach). It was also a shame that there were so many cancellations but of course these can't be helped. I would have loved to have seen the Meteor and Mustang but there's always next year!

We set off from Manchester in the car at 7.50am and arrived in Southport by 9.10am. There was a little bit of a hold up through Ormskirk but nothing major. When we reached the queue for parking on the Promenade it was barely moving so we parked on the side of the road. It was £6 for the day so given that the official car parks were the same price we were more than happy. Traffic management could have been better but I expected it so was prepared to wait. After the show we went for a bite to eat. We left Southport at 7.45pm and there was still some traffic in places but nothing too heavy and we were back for 9pm.

Overall what a superb day!

T6NL

Post by T6NL »

In regards to the traffic flow. It wasn't a case of the sheer number of folk, that's to be expected like it is every year. The problem lied this year with how poorly organised the traffic was dealt with. It took us (from point of entry) 3 minutes to enter the car park and exchange tickets for wristbands. Times that 3 minutes by say 100 cars in the parking zone and you've got issues. I appreciate the tickets saying turn up at 9AM, however I'd like to have seen the commotion if the entire attendance figures had all shown up at the same time ;) And just for the record, I've turned up at Southport at 11AM in the past, and have been parked up within 20 minutes. This year I arrived into Southport at 10AM, and it took me FOUR yes FOUR hours to be parked up. There were 8 attendants in our parking zone, 6 of the 8 were stood around chatting and having a good old banter. One guy asked us if we wanted beach parking, I said yes, he directs me into the right lane, I drove into the right lane, waited 30 mins to travel 20 metres to be told there was no beach parking. :whistle:

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

Excellent show I thought, although the weather obviously helped too. It would seem they aren't sparing the horses with the Vulcan's final flying days, really was the best i've seen it displayed since the RAF days. Some very good displays by all in great conditions. Quite funny to see someone's dog decide to play in the mud, bet they'll have fun cleaning the car this morning (although I thought animals were banned from the show?)

On the negative side, the queue organisation was a bit of a mess. No clear indication of where pre-booked and pay-on-the-day punters had to go. I felt for those who'd prebooked tickets as the wristband collection points seemed woefully undermanned and i'd swear I got in quicker queuing up to pay my tenner on the day. All something that could've been avoided with some signs and a few extra staff in the right places.

Decided to drive to Liverpool and get the train from Liverpool South Parkway this year (have either driven or got the Manchester train that goes via Wigan previously). Well done to Merseyrail for putting 6 coach trains on, which combined with running 4 or 5 an hour made getting in and out a relative breeze.

Big Dave

Rof e: Southport Airshow 2015

Post by Big Dave »

We stayed in a hotel just to the north the centre of Southport on Friday night, leaving it at 8:50 yesterday to park (we hoped) on the beach. Over an hour and a half later we parked; not on the beach but in a field behind the Premier Inn at the back of the 'air show village'. We'd been directed into a stop-start queue that inexplicably took us the length of the town rather than to the nearest parking area. We took our chairs onto the beach only to find that cars had been permitted to park right up the the crowd line, reducing it by half as front row spectators could only watch from between the cars - luckily we found one with just the driver who kindly invited us to sit next to him.
The show itself - brilliant! We only started to go to air shows a year ago but have been to Duxford, Fairford, Bicester and Rhyl and seen the Vulcan four times in all; yesterday's display by XH558 was by far the best. Highlights of the rest: Chinook, the Blades, Typhoon, Mig15. Biggest disappointment (apart from the no-shows); the Red Arrows; their largely horiziontal display lacked the 'oomph' factor.
Traffic on the A565 heading south afterwards was queued almost to Formby, approx. 5 miles.
Last edited by Big Dave on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Strange that- Reds were a highlight for me. One man's meat is another man's poison I guess!

You should have tried the southern end of the beach by where the Scout and Squirrel landed- no cars, and minimal congestion at the front- literally one row deep on the barrier.
Ricoh Caplio R5

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Aviationcafe wrote:Finally arrived home from the airshow after leaving just after 5:30 from Southport.

Highlights for me was the Biggin Hill Hurricane X 'P2921' & hangar 11's Spitfire, as well as the Mig/Meteor.

Hopefully will get a chance to look at the photo's soon!

MiG/Meteor duo?
Ricoh Caplio R5

silver fox

Post by silver fox »

Rory76 wrote:
MiG/Meteor duo?

I would think that comment is in relation to today's, (Sunday) show. :smile:

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the Airshow at Southport today it was superb !! And the weather was decent enough for all the scheduled
displays to take place, it was overcast but the cloudbase was fairly high, there were showers in the distance towards Blackpool and out in the Irish sea. But they never came our way in the end, and the displays were all excellent ! I really loved the duo display between the Biggin Hill based Hurricane and the Hangar 11 Spitfire XI, a delightful routine accompanied with the awesome sound of two Merlins which gave me goosebumps, before Peter Teichman put on an cracking solo display in the Spitfire XI. Also made up to see the Gloster Meteor, which was very appropriate in the display. As it was an ex gate guardian at RAF Woodvale nearby for many years, and it put on a graceful routine. Also I was really pleased to see the Mig 15 based in Norway a rare sight in the Region and again a lovely routine ! and to put the icing on the cake they flew in formation. When was the last time that was seen at a UK Airshow or has it ever been seen before even at RIAT ? Also really pleased to see the Wildcat Lynx fly in formation with the RNHF Swordfish, a very moving moment, given the regions link with Naval Aviation. The Red Arrows display was a rolling one , but ultra precise as we have come to expect from the team highly enjoyable. As were the Blades, whose pilots Red Arrows roots were evident in the display. Nice to see the Bulldog and Tutor formation and solo displays, again appropriate as both aircraft types were and are used at RAF Woodvale the organizers clearly think long and hard about the aircraft they should choose for Southport as they do for the themes and routines at IWM Duxford. The Hawk T2 Role Demo was awesome, especially the explosions off the beach. And to round it off a corking display by the Eurofighter Typhoon, with vapour shockwaves off the wings and lots of afterburner awesome stuff. The organizers should be proud of this years Airshow ! I am so pleased for them and the crowd that the weather behaved itself both days, particularly yesterday and months of planning came to fruition this really is an fantastic Airshow venue, and each year I always come away satisfied with what I have seen, even when the weather is poor ! it's great both for Families and the Aviation Enthusiast like myself, although there were a couple of cancellations i.e. the OFMC Mustang Ferocious Frankie and the Rolls-Royce Spitfire XIX but I still loved it. I am really gutted I didn't see the Vulcan and Red Arrows Formation Yesterday, and brilliant Display by Kev Rumans in the Vulcan, as I was at the BOB 75th Anniversary Airshow at Duxford Airfield which was fantastic too ! I saw it on Youtube today WOW ! Next years Airshow can't come quick enough !! ))))
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Thought I'd put don my thoughts on this years ai show. For various reasons, I went on the Sunday but up unitil Friday it looked as if weatherwise there wouldn't much beteween the two days. As it turned out the the forecast on most of the websites I saw were woefuly inaccurate predicting at least some sunshine. Sadly sunshine was in short supply as it stayed overcast all day. At least the thick fog I drove through on the way there didn't stretch to the Lancs coast.
I set off from Cheshire at 7.30am and joined the queue on Marine Drive at 8.30 and after quarter of hour or so we were on the move and in. The major hold-up, and I think this has been mentioned elsewhere, is the pay kiosks. I had an advance ticket but you still have to parking seperately and it all takes too long.
Anyway, I was parked up just after 9am where the beach was quite wet but not a problem with the right footware.

The flying display itself but very relaxed with the occasional longish gap between items. Good displays though with highlights being the Sea King, Meteor/Mig duo, the Wildcat/Swordfish and the finale of Typhoon.
The mad rush for the exit started as soon as the Typhoon disappeared into the cloud but I was home in Cheshire by 5.45pm.

I would say that Sunday was far from being a classic Southport but a decent day out all the same.

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Not even sure I've seen a meteor fly on its own, let alone in formation with a MiG-15. Lucky lot. (tho I wouldn't swap it for yesterday). So that's 4 different mixed formations I make it this weekend?
Ricoh Caplio R5

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

I agree Derek about the gaps between displays, it would have been better if the items had flowed more smoothly in succession. There didn't seem to be an urgency to make the items come one after the other, however this didn't detract from it being an Excellent Airshow in my opinion !

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

I am so pleased and beaming that the Vulcans best display to date, since it was restored to flight. Took place at a venue in the region of its birthplace ! And that it flew in formation with the Red Arrows, just seems so right to me !!

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Long may the Southport Airshow continue !

greeny

Post by greeny »

Went on the Saturday and got there nice and early to avoid the queues. Glad I did as it must have been a record attendance so it built up much earlier than in previous years.
I agree with previous comments regarding the ticket huts. Surely there must be a way of speeding things up for pre paid ticket holders. Maybe having one ticket per group rather than one each. We had 6 in our car and it took forever to scan them all. Would have been much quicker to scan one ticket which then showed the number in the group on the scanner.
Anyway, parked on the beach and got to the front which was quite wet but had appropriate footwear so not an issue.
Cancellations were disappointing especially Frankie in his Mustang but these things happen.
Excellent overall displays, a bit gappy but couldn't be helped due to the cancellations.
Highlight if the day for me was XH558. Iv'e been following this grand old lady around the country since she returned to flight in 2007. During that time I've seen some fantastic displays but Saturday's topped the lot. I get the feeling that was Kev's last display as there are only 2 left and boy did he enjoy himself.
Without doubt the best display I've seen since the Woodford air show in the 80's.
Such a shame that in 3 weeks she will be gone from our skies forever.
Good job Southport, looking forward to what 2016 brings

Post by 106500 »

Agree that the Vulcan display was good but RIAT Saturday had the edge especially with the demon take off. Mind you I can only recall this and Southport having a power on double spiral climb? Also on the initial approach Kev put the power on a bit early and had to reduce this when he got to the crowd line.

greeny

Post by greeny »

Nothing can compete with that take off although I was fortunate to see her do the same taking off from Robin Hood last year.
I also can't remember seeing a double spiral other than RIAT and Southport. I just felt Kev gave it a little bit more in the spiral and especially on the final pass. But yes, he got his timing a bit wrong on the in run

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

106500 wrote:Also on the initial approach Kev put the power on a bit early and had to reduce this when he got to the crowd line.

Luckily at Dunsfold, though slightly subdued the approach with the throttles at the ideal setting the howl was prolonged for several seconds more than I've ever heard it before - Southport display sounded one not to miss, oh, I did.