Duxford September Show 2015

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
planenuttoo

Re: Duxford September Show 2015

Post by planenuttoo »

That formation of the Reds and the BBMF was a masterpiece, brilliant!

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Great show today by everyone, BBMF were excellent as they were at Goodwood earlier in the week. But this display had a presence and absolutely wowed the crowd. The Red Arrows and BBMF's big wing, fantastic as others have commented. Will we ever see that again? I certainly hope so.

A remarkable show, thanks to IWM :clap:

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

Fantastic day today. Another special mention for the BBMF. What a fantastic, tight display. Oh and them with the Reds? Fab!

P40 (?) was a nice surprise and was a nice display. Mass spitfires obviously the star. Scramble was awesome and then the subsequent Blenheim, hurricane formation and displays also being excellent. The two spitfire (French?) routine also deserves a mention. Nothing was disappointing today, with yesterday's disappointments being unavoidable down to the unfortunate incident on the M11.

All in all, I think I witnessed something pretty special taking the whole weekend in as a whole. Had to keep pinching myself while the spits were buzzing over me that not many people get to experience something like this. Plus the weather was perfect. I'm expecting to see some amazing photos from you photographers, what with the sun piercing through the clouds on both days during the spitfire routine! :yahoo:

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

I never thought anything could come close to the 100th anniversary of flight show back in 2003, but today for me, that was the best all round experience I've had a Duxford. An incredible display with too many highlights to mention.

The freeloaders may well have their pictures, but today showed that the only way to truly experience an airshow is inside. Worth every penny.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

DeHav wrote:
neilos wrote:
DeHav wrote:I just say I find myself disappointed with what was a mediocre display. Typhoon/Spitfire synchro pair didn't do the full display - just flew past 2 or 3 times then went home. The F-15s weren't bad but could have flown closer to the Spits.

Typhoon did offer to do a flyby, but the Aerostars were about to take-off, so sadly they told him No.

Even then I would have been disappointed - they only did the first half of the display!

He wanted to do flyby then go straight vertical up that's why he was waiting after the flypasts finished , wish they let him tbh would been awesome.

AFC wrote:As for the chinook, why did it land there? (not that I'm complaining about it, also nice of the pilot to come over for a chat)

I think because it wanted to go on the jet pan but there wasn't room with Sally B, two Harvard's & Yale plus that mega rare visitor Royal 32 SQN BAe 146, And AFC you know are taxes pay for BBMF right?

Tbolt wrote:I really enjoyed the showed. The Spitfire finale was something else, the only disappointment was the fact that they took off one direction and landed the other, which meant a lot of people didn't get all those Spit's taxing past in front of them, but I guess this was due to the M11 accident as the wind hadn't changed. 845's arrival was very cool as well because I was at the Hangar 1 end of the flight line walk at the time :biggrin:

Yes was due to the M11 Accident and the fact the road was closed and had police investigators on Motorway, I went Saturday and thought it was good show shame what happened but that's first time its happened to me in five years been going to Duxford airshows. Now lets hope 2016 is a better year for the airshow scene.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

AntonovAN-2

Post by AntonovAN-2 »

aaron0288 wrote:P40 (?) was a nice surprise and was a nice display. Mass spitfires obviously the star. Scramble was awesome and then the subsequent Blenheim, hurricane formation and displays also being excellent. :yahoo:

the p40 replaced the p-36 which had undercarriage problems yesterday,

again another mention for the great bbmf display and the reds in formation with them, sadly didnt see the spit formation today as a man cracked his head open and being first aid qualified i had to stay and help him out until the paramedics arrived

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

It was the Curtiss Hawk 75 that flew yesterday, not the P-36 I was there.
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Sad news! the guy on the bike in the M11 accident Saturday has sadly passed away thoughts with family and friends he was only young :sad: https://www.facebook.com/CambsCops/post ... 6749399361
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Woke up this morning and the first thing to enter my bonce was "how good was that?" how much is the value of those aircraft and thanks to the pilots for sharing their expertise.

jon93

Post by jon93 »

Yesterday was so much more than an airshow, I can't even describe what I felt seeing all those Spitfires everywhere I looked. The atmosphere in the crowd was unbelievable, the sound of Nimrod playing as well, I had a lump in my throat and someone must have been cutting onions near by has I had some water in my eyes, even my dad who I thought had no emotions even said he thought it was rather emotional. Well done IWM, I will never forget yesterday. :clap:

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

And wasn't it great how each Spitfire was roundly applauded once taxying back in after the finale, something quite unusual for DX

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Down the M11 end each one was being applauded as they came in to land. Something I don't remember hearing before.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

keithholden

Post by keithholden »

Pen Pusher wrote:Down the M11 end each one was being applauded as they came in to land. Something I don't remember hearing before.

Brian

It certainly brought a lump to my throat.

Keith

austinpj

Post by austinpj »

Another great Duxford Airshow!

Bit disappointed the BoB pair didn't turn up on the Sunday. I would have preferred them to the Chinook; 'twas great but I don't see its connection...

I was a bit miffed about the 10 minute break in the flying schedule. Time to organise the Spitfire's maybe? Insertion of BoB pair would've been ideal maybe. Sticking with the mass Spitfires, I think there was a missed opportunity of cycling both fly-by flights, or maybe that's just me.

Did the Red's do a full display?? It didn't seem as long as others I've seen, yet we were gifted with wonderful weather.

Despite the above very minor points, I really enjoyed the experience, and that's why I keep going back. I mean, where else can you see mass formations of Spitfires!!

I'd give it 8.5 out of 10 :-D

Question : How do people define the "tank bank"? I was positioned towards the raised area near the rear of the LW centre, overlooking a coffee and burger van. Great views, but am wondering if there's a better spot.

And finally - the escape! The other half didn't want to watch the Red's, grrrrrrrrr, so headed back to the car. I reluctantly gave up my spot and trudged along the trade stalls whilst taking them in (maybe that's why I think it was a shorter display). Anyway, I found myself near their trade stand, just as the display finished. With the wife at the car, I rushed across and got out of the car park straight away - wow. Other year's its' been 30/40 minutes.

The morale of the last paragraph, is obviously leave the wife at home so you can enjoy the day ;-)

On a serious note, I understand IWM staff and helpers put in a lot of time and effort for these events. But is there not a lost opportunity to keep the site open for a few extra hours? Firstly, this allows people to take in the trade stands (thus increasing sales), and also (more importantly) allow people to take in some of the hangers that they may not have been able to visit. And on top of this, it helps stagger departure somewhat. I would rather have 40 more minutes on site browsing (especially when the weather played ball), than spend the same amount of time very slowly exiting the car park; and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I am going to suggest this to the IWM for future events.

For us, we had nearly a two hour drive home, so early escape was a bonus really. Next time, we'll probably do Saturday and stay later, and not have the worry of work the next day.

Thanks for reading, and see you next year :-)

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

What a Fantastic Airshow it was at Duxford on Saturday ! I thoroughly enjoyed it, even with the flying restrictions in place due to
the accident on the M11. There was some really excellent flying, my only real disappointment, was that the Curtiss Hawk 75 had to cut short it's display due to a landing gear problem. There were so many highlights i.e. the Blenheim with the Hurricanes, the 5 BBMF Fighters in formation. Which I still enjoyed despite them having to keep to 1000 feet, also the BBMF Spitfire Mk VB AB910 in formation with Eurofighter. Another highlight for me was the two Lakenheath F15 Strike Eagles in formation with the two Commanche Fighters Spitfire Mk 1a's even though it was just a single pass it really gave me goosebumps all over ! Also the two Buchon's and Spitfire and Hurricane dogfight was really good too. I also loved the sight and sound of the Two Hawker Nimrods. Although it was the Mass Spitfire flypast and the awesome subsequent display sequence, that really put the icing on the Cake for me ! The sight and sound of 17 Spitfires starting up, taxying and taking off and in formation was worth the entrance fee alone !! And worth the long train Journey from where I live in the Northwest of England. I had never seen anything like it before ! Spitfires coming from all directions tailchasing and the 3 Spitfire Mk 1a's performing aerobatics higher up, absolutely fantastic and a sight to behold and really gave me chills !! I really didn't know where to look, with Spitfires flying behind in front and high up too. And Brian Smith in Spitfire IX MH434 performing a similar solo display, to the ones Ray Hanna used to do in this very aircraft, completed a superb day out for me. And I felt emotional when they played Elgars Nimrod over the speakers ! A really fitting 75th Anniversary tribute to the few and to the Battle Of Britain I thought the Airshow was, especially the Spitfire Formation/Display ! I just love this Airshow venue ! I have been coming since 1997 when my first Airshow was Flying Legends that year, and I have been hooked ever since ! There are always so many trade stands, and couple that with the Excellent Museum complex and Aircraft Hangars and rides for the kids, it is superb for both families and the ardent aviation enthusiast ! I will definately be coming next year to all the Airshows hopefully. I did feel on the Saturday for the crowd at the M11 end as apart from takeoffs and display arrivals and the Spitfires at the end, virtually all the display routines avoided that end of the Airfield and were keeping towards the Tank Bank. So I don't suppose the view would have been that great ! Was that due to the M11 incident and or the accident at Shoreham a few weeks back !? Was it better in that respect on the Sunday ? The traffic leaving was a problem on Saturday at least, with Shuttle buses taking ages to get to Duxford as a result and due to the M11 accident. Although credit to the IWM for drafting in extra buses, to cope with the huge backlog of cueing people wanting to use them ! Unfortunately I had a booked train only rail ticket and missed my train due to the traffic chaos, and had to pay an Extra £51.75 to get a train back to Manchester from London Euston, but can't be helped, this didn't detract from what I thought was an Superb Display !
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

Eddy, did you go on Sunday too? The BBMF were sublime.

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

eddywinch82 wrote: I just love this Airshow venue ! I have been coming since 1997 when my first Airshow was Flying Legends that year, and I have been hooked ever since ! There are always so many trade stands, and couple that with the Excellent Museum complex and Aircraft Hangars and rides for the kids, it is superb for both families and the ardent aviation enthusiast ! I will definately be coming next year to all the Airshows hopefully.

I used to belong to the "Friends" and if you intend going to the venue often, then join them for the discounts and their own events.
http://www.iwm.org.uk/connect/friends-of-duxford (hope nobody gets annoyed at me posting that?)

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

No Aaron I was at Southport Airshow yesterday, as I really didn't want to miss either event, I really wish
they hadn't of clashed this year ! But both events were excellent ! I am gutted I missed the Red Arrows in formation with the BBMF at Duxford, and The Red Arrows in formation with the Vulcan at Southport and it's solo display! (((

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

Actually I was more talking about their display. If you were impressed with the couple of 1000ft passes they did on Saturday, I'm not sure how you would've reacted to Sunday's display :biggrin:

Correct me if my memory gets the better of me, but the last hour and a half of yesterday's show consisted of the BBMF taking off, 17 spitfires launching, the Comanche duo's routine (amazing), a lovely single hurricane display, BBMF fly past, 17 spitfire fly past and tail chase, an awesome single spitfire display, the fab BBMF display, Reds and BBMF fly past and finally the Reds display? Surely there aren't any shows in the world that could get near to that?

timuss

Post by timuss »

Well a fantastic tribute to the few this weekend at Duxford, a quite stunning finale with the Spitfire flypast seeing that many Spits in formation was a first for me :drool: And the topside passes as they screamed past the tank bank were something else, if anybody has video i'd love to see it, Saturday especially as the light was just fantastic.

Paul Bonhome and Dan Freidkin's display in the two Mk1's was fantastic even with the very loose formation by the F-15's. Just a brilliant weekend with great company cracking flying and superb weather, just a shame its all over to be honest :sad:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

jl151080

Post by jl151080 »

austinpj wrote:

On a serious note, I understand IWM staff and helpers put in a lot of time and effort for these events. But is there not a lost opportunity to keep the site open for a few extra hours? Firstly, this allows people to take in the trade stands (thus increasing sales), and also (more importantly) allow people to take in some of the hangers that they may not have been able to visit. And on top of this, it helps stagger departure somewhat. I would rather have 40 more minutes on site browsing (especially when the weather played ball), than spend the same amount of time very slowly exiting the car park; and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I am going to suggest this to the IWM for future events.

For us, we had nearly a two hour drive home, so early escape was a bonus really. Next time, we'll probably do Saturday and stay later, and not have the worry of work the next day.

I think they should move the start of the display forward to 1, 12 or maybe even 11. Then, there would be more time after the display to allow for staggered exits. I have an almost 3 hour drive home, so it would certainly be beneficial for me too! As it is, displays finish at around 530 and the announcement the museum has closed often comes while traffic is still in a stationary queue. There's no point in heading back to the car when you can't go anywhere.

As for the show, a simply awesome weekend. The mass Spitfire formation and tail chase was one of the greatest airshow moments I've ever seen. Worth every penny.

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Link to a Daily Mail / Mailonline article about the show
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -more.html

DirtyFokker

Post by DirtyFokker »

jl151080 wrote:
I think they should move the start of the display forward to 1, 12 or maybe even 11. Then, there would be more time after the display to allow for staggered exits. I have an almost 3 hour drive home, so it would certainly be beneficial for me too! As it is, displays finish at around 530 and the announcement the museum has closed often comes while traffic is still in a stationary queue. There's no point in heading back to the car when you can't go anywhere.

I agree that the starting time is a little too late. RIAT and Dunsfold all start in the late morning ... that's the best time IMHO.

I enjoyed the show, and the Spitfires were great. The following picture was sponsored by Total:

Great parking, boys :confused:

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

DirtyFokker wrote:
jl151080 wrote: The following picture was sponsored by Total:

Lucky they weren't there 75 years ago.

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Flying show start times are generally governed by the content of it, especially RIAT. The Flying Legends show always seems to run at an easy pace, including the "lazy lunch" with flying commencing at 2p.m.. They also have that time to allow them to make maximum revenue from the flight line walk, then get the briefing done.