eirik
UKAR Supporter

Flying Legends 2016

Post by eirik »

Dates are set for 9 & 10th July.

Some TFC aircraft are listed as confimed:
https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircraft.html

Eirik
Part of the Norwegian Spitfire Foundation.
http://www.norwegianspitfire.com

My photos:
http://aviationpix.no

neilos

Re: Flying Legends 2016

Post by neilos »

Same weekend as RIAT then....

Bugger :( :dunno:

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

No P-40C then...

DirtyFokker

Post by DirtyFokker »

neilos wrote:Same weekend as RIAT then....

I'm going to be knackered at the end of that weekend :sleepy:

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Really annoying that Bernie has now decided that the UK F1 race at Silverstone will be provisionally the 10th as well which really is inconvenient. Looking like Duxford Friday Fairford Saturday silverstone Sunday Fairford Monday and sleep Tuesday

pb643

Post by pb643 »

It's really is the height of stupidity to plan to run these two shows on the same weekend.
I cannot comprehend how anyone could consider it a good idea.
There can't be any gain to either event, in fact there must be some degree of loss of punters to both.
I can only assume this is down to stubbornness on somebody's part.
With the ever decreasing number of UK events, this situation is so unnecessary, I just hope that somebody gets there act together to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Phil

ted633

Post by ted633 »

pb643 wrote:

It's really is the height of stupidity to plan to run these two shows on the same weekend.
There can't be any gain to either event, in fact there must be some degree of loss of punters to both.
With the ever decreasing number of UK events, this situation is so unnecessary, I just hope that somebody gets there act together to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Phil

The main reason is Farnborough. Up to last year, its been Waddington on the 1st weekend of July, Legends on 2nd and RIAT 3rd. However, when Farnborough rocks up, RIAT gets pushed forward a week and therefore we have 5 airshows for 4 weekends (Including Yeovilton). Something has to clash and legends clashing with something is unfortunately the only answer as there (aircraft) participants don't really clash with the other shows

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Always amazed how it's Legends that clash with RIAT when it's RIAT that change their date to clash with Legends. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

pb643

Post by pb643 »

ted633 wrote:
pb643 wrote:

Phil

The main reason is Farnborough. Up to last year, its been Waddington on the 1st weekend of July, Legends on 2nd and RIAT 3rd. However, when Farnborough rocks up, RIAT gets pushed forward a week and therefore we have 5 airshows for 4 weekends (Including Yeovilton). Something has to clash and legends clashing with something is unfortunately the only answer as there (aircraft) participants don't really clash with the other shows

Thanks for your reply Ted, I am aware that that has been said before.

It still doesn't get around the fact that these are a group of organisations working in the same industry, to attract the same audience (with the exception of Farnborough, whose purpose I fail to understand anymore), they should be able to cooperate to avoid this.
With Waddington passing into the history books, there will no longer be the argument that it couldn't change date, (it was the only two days of year with accommodation avaliable etc etc) and a weekend in July is free.
I fear the airshow world will be a significantly different place after the events of this year. In view of this, it is about time the industry worked together, so that the few remaining large events do not clash. If the intention is for Church Fenton to grow into a large event, then get them involved too.

Rant over.

Phil

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Excellent, 1 day at RIAT and the off to flying Legends. :clap:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Georgeconna wrote:Excellent, 1 day at RIAT and the off to flying Legends. :clap:

Yup, perfect.
HTAFC

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Yes, we are constantly told that airshows are very hard to make money out of etc etc, I understand that RIAT want to exploit Farnborough but what are the date limitations re Flying Legends?,

you would have thought that a few phone calls could sort it out, its like Silverstone having F1 and Brands having a Le Mans class event on the same day, they really dont help themselves

all we need now is a flying evening at Old Warden
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

pbeardmore wrote:Yes, we are constantly told that airshows are very hard to make money out of etc etc, I understand that RIAT want to exploit Farnborough but what are the date limitations re Flying Legends?,

you would have thought that a few phone calls could sort it out, its like Silverstone having F1 and Brands having a Le Mans class event on the same day, they really dont help themselves

Usually do that on RIAT weekends if the flying display has not much Variation...
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

The Mrs was really non plussed when I told her 4 days out all together but tbh as enthusiasts only make up 5% or so of the entry gate (or there about) I doubt it really matters to the organisers

pb643

Post by pb643 »

pbeardmore wrote:Yes, we are constantly told that airshows are very hard to make money out of etc etc, I understand that RIAT want to exploit Farnborough but what are the date limitations re Flying Legends?,

My point exactly.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Pen Pusher wrote:Always amazed how it's Legends that clash with RIAT when it's RIAT that change their date to clash with Legends. :biggrin:

Brian

Don't be amazed Brian its quite simple, our dates out to 2020 have been publicised for over a year now.

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/about-the-air-tattoo/future-dates

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Ahhh but the Legends date stays constant as the second weekend in July and it's RIAT that keep changing theirs but it's Legends fault that the two clash every two years. :dizzy: :biggrin:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Childish to claim "we always do it on this date", if they are running it like a proper business, they make the call and cooperate,

even if enthusiasts make 5%, thats still worth having plus there is still the bad PR of just lookin like two village fetes who haven't shared their diary, just doesn't come over as professional IMHO
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Storm in a tea cup.

This has been happening for years and will continue to happen. Wont make any difference to visitor numbers on the day at both locations.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Pen Pusher wrote:Storm in a tea cup.

This has been happening for years and will continue to happen. Wont make any difference to visitor numbers on the day at both locations.

Brian

It really must do, it may not be many and both events may still sell out, but it can't be only me that finds it a right royal pain in the backside. Instead of having two pleasant relaxed weekends, I have one very busy weekend, where in my view both events detract from the other. At the end of the day, it is just unnecessary and in my opinion doesn't reflect well on any of the organisations involved.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I can't see how they detract from each other as they are two total opposites. One is war birds and one is modern military. Granted there is a very small minority who want to do both but unfortunately not enough to make a difference no matter how loud they shout.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Pen Pusher wrote:I can't see how they detract from each other as they are two total opposites. One is war birds and one is modern military. Granted there is a very small minority who want to do both but unfortunately not enough to make a difference no matter how loud they shout.

Brian

Ok, I give up.... I'm wrong! :smile: That will teach me, fancy wanting to go both, ridiculous idea.

Phil

Downes0106

Post by Downes0106 »

Obviously hasn't caused financial issues in the past when clashes have occured - the numbers of aviation enthusiasts who want to do both is small in the scheme of things.
Scott

Canon EOS7D, with 30D Back-up
Canon 100-400MM IS, 70-200MM plus some wide-angle/macro stuff

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I can't see how they detract from each other as they are two total opposites. One is war birds and one is modern military. Granted there is a very small minority who want to do both

With respect, that is utter rubbish.

One is warbirds, RIAT is far more than just 'modern military', but in either case these are our two premier air shows in this country, and for them to clash is very frustrating. There's a whole summer season to schedule, and I am among I daresay thousands of people to whom both events appeal.

I do both, when they on consecutive weekends. When they clash I have to choose, and RIAT wins for me.

I'm sure there isn't much impact financially on either from the clash as both sell out more less, but jeez its frustrating.

I can add Yeovilton in there too. I'd love to go there again, but Legends usually clashes.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
I can't see how they detract from each other as they are two total opposites. One is war birds and one is modern military. Granted there is a very small minority who want to do both

With respect, that is utter rubbish.

One is warbirds, RIAT is far more than just 'modern military', but in either case these are our two premier air shows in this country, and for them to clash is very frustrating. There's a whole summer season to schedule, and I am among I daresay thousands of people to whom both events appeal.

I do both, when they on consecutive weekends. When they clash I have to choose, and RIAT wins for me.

I'm sure there isn't much impact financially on either from the clash as both sell out more less, but jeez its frustrating.

I can add Yeovilton in there too. I'd love to go there again, but Legends usually clashes.

Am I the only one for whom this is a good thing? I get Wednesday to Friday or Saturday at Fairford and then head over to Duxford for Legends. Back to work with only one lost weekend revenue wise. Works for me :grin: