Dawlish Air Show 2015

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
MRTT

Re: Dawlish Air Show 2015

Post by MRTT »

Bill Perrins, Phil O Dell and Jonothan Lazzari.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

BrizeWatcher wrote:Bill Perrins, Phil O Dell and Jonothan Lazzari.

Interesting.A shame you seem to have had a mediocre Display in it's final year.At least you saw her i guess.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

tankbuster81 wrote:

Interesting.A shame you seem to have had a mediocre Display in it's final year.At least you saw her i guess.

Must have something to do with something local as to why it seemed less impressive- the mini-show at Bournemouth mixed it nicely, and a fantastic, noisy power climb to near inverted that wasn't far off Kev Rumens RIAT climax.
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

Tuckat

Post by Tuckat »

Superb day on the hill yesterday, was up there from 9.00 am until 5.30, great company and a stunning view. Cracking display from the local lad flying the Typhoon. Just goes to show not everyone from Sidmouth drives at less than 50 mph :whistle:

Massive thanks and well done to all those involved who planned and organised the day, I hope the fundraising results warranted the efforts you must have put into the show.
Blood, Tears and Folly

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Rory76 wrote:
tankbuster81 wrote:

Must have something to do with something local as to why it seemed less impressive- the mini-show at Bournemouth mixed it nicely, and a fantastic, noisy power climb to near inverted that wasn't far off Kev Rumens RIAT climax.

This may clarify the matter...

Image7T8A7429 by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image7T8A7897 by John Dixon, on Flickr

I thought they did pretty well, considering. The first pass was terrific. Maybe Beachy Head spoiled some of us a tiny wee bit?

John

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

I was standing on the mini pier today and actually thought the Vulcan display was good. The weather at this poing was on the turn and its arrival was fantastic and thought display ok. I can't remember vapour trail off the Vulcan in recent times and got plenty of that. My 6 year old daughter was first around us to see its elegant silhouette miles away and for me her screams of excitement were enough. As for the other displays I thought the muscle bi plane and strikemaster combo was a lovely treat. Typhoon entry is so spectacular here as well. Shame weather spoilt end of the day but leading up to it thought we would get nothing at all! A good day again at Dawlish. Including a record haul of 49 crabs amongst the displays.

Logster

Post by Logster »

captainfurious wrote:I was standing on the mini pier today and actually thought the Vulcan display was good. The weather at this poing was on the turn and its arrival was fantastic and thought display ok. I can't remember vapour trail off the Vulcan in recent times and got plenty of that. My 6 year old daughter was first around us to see its elegant silhouette miles away and for me her screams of excitement were enough. As for the other displays I thought the muscle bi plane and strikemaster combo was a lovely treat. Typhoon entry is so spectacular here as well. Shame weather spoilt end of the day but leading up to it thought we would get nothing at all! A good day again at Dawlish. Including a record haul of 49 crabs amongst the displays.

49 crabs!
Excellent work, we've only managed 35 as our record down the road at Teignmouth. I'll have to take the kids to the breakwater this week to try and break 50!

Thinking again about the vulcan display, that first pass really was excellent and perhaps the rest of the display could never live up to that. It just seemed a little back and forth down the display line. The weather really did come in after that so i guess that we were lucky to get it in at all. And the day before was really awful. Also nice was the pair of sea kings that flew by; nice surprise that - well done to the team for getting that last minute addition.

Vulcan2015

Post by Vulcan2015 »

I was watching the Vulcan Display from the railway footbridge next to the tunnel.

From my perspective I thought it was one of the best and memorable displays I've seen. Well done to the crew! It looked really close to me (I was quite surprised how close it was) and the noise was simply awesome in such a tight display area.

I'm puzzled by the negative comments on here. Maybe they are all from people watching from the field I saw in the distance further along the coast? But then the Vulcan was displaying at Dawlish in between the yellow marker buoys and not some field elsewhere so that would have been the wrong place to be. I suppose it's like watching Eastbourne Airshow from Beachey Head and then complaining the planes are displaying too far away.

SAW

Post by SAW »

I know the weather and light were pretty poor by that stage, but did anybody take any photos of the Zlin?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I got some, they'll (hopefully, depending on how they turn out) be used in the review. But as you say, I think you were flying at the lowest point for the weather...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Post by 5944 »

SAW wrote:I know the weather and light were pretty poor by that stage, but did anybody take any photos of the Zlin?

ImageZlin 526F Trener Master by Nigel Pitt, on Flickr

Any good?

SAW

Post by SAW »

Great thanks. Probably not the most exciting display of the day as I was severely restricted in the manoeuvres I could sensibly achieve with the weather and the Zlin is never going to compete with likes of Rich Goodwin and his Muscle Pitts on any day.

Post by 5944 »

Yes, you did manage to appear when the weather was probably at its worst...

A nice little display though. Looked good coming past the hill at the end.

CrowdlinePhotography

Post by CrowdlinePhotography »

SAW wrote:Great thanks. Probably not the most exciting display of the day as I was severely restricted in the manoeuvres I could sensibly achieve with the weather and the Zlin is never going to compete with likes of Rich Goodwin and his Muscle Pitts on any day.

Shame you couldn't display as a pair. Would have been great to seen the Stearman as well but that Zlin makes a cracking sound! I'm from This Is Flight and you may recall us trying to arrange an interview with the team. It was a shame you guys were tied down with training. Would be great to visit the team some time.

SAW

Post by SAW »

CrowdlinePhotography wrote:
Shame you couldn't display as a pair. Would have been great to seen the Stearman as well but that Zlin makes a cracking sound! I'm from This Is Flight and you may recall us trying to arrange an interview with the team. It was a shame you guys were tied down with training. Would be great to visit the team some time.

We'll try and find a suitable time to do an interview with the team.

CrowdlinePhotography

Post by CrowdlinePhotography »

SAW wrote:
CrowdlinePhotography wrote:

We'll try and find a suitable time to do an interview with the team.

That would be great, thanks!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

There is to be no Dawlish Air Show next year. A real loss to the airshow scene and the south-west. Here's hoping for a return in 2017.

Volunteers, fans, visitors, supporters and Friends of Dawlish Airshow, thank you for your continued support and interest in the show and your patience while waiting for us to announce the 2016 date.
After much deliberation we have decided that, at this moment in time, we will be taking a break during next year’s airshow season.

We have had over 10 years of amazing displays in Dawlish and won awards internationally. We have been rewarded by your repeated visits to Dawlish as tourists and for our event, your support in fundraising and of course, securing the mighty Avro Vulcan in her last year of flying.
And so, on those high notes, we’d like to take a year out to plan, prepare and increase support, both financially and in-person, to improve and best cater for the 80,000 people that descend on our beautiful seaside town for the airshow weekend.

We would like to thank everyone who has helped and supported the event over the years and hope to work with you, and see you all again, in the future.
We thank you in advance for your support in our decision, which wasn’t an easy one, and hope you understand.
Thank you.

http://dawlishairshow.co.uk/newindex/da ... ouncement/
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Just seen it on twitter. Oh well there's one B And B that will be getting a cancellation tonight

Big_Gareth

Post by Big_Gareth »

Awful news, I visited for the first time this year and it went straight onto my "must do again" list for 2016.

Really hope it comes back but in these times, who knows :wall:

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

Sad news. My favourite setting for an airshow. Despite seeing the Reds many times each year I always look forward to their entrance here. And the Typhoon this year simply tore up Dawlish! I can't help but think it doesn't get the donation support it needs or fully deserves on the day. A sad gap appears on my 2016 calender. Thanks to everyone for their massive efforts and hope to be back in 2017.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Absolutely gutted. I've only been the last two years but each show was incredibly special, Dawlish has a fantastic setting for an airshow. It was more than pencilled in for next year, very sad it won't be happening.

Many thanks to the team for providing the shows I have seen there, and guarantee of my support if they return to the scene.

Cheers

John

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

The Annus horribillis of a airshow season continues with more bad news :sad: