Modelling Forum Boost

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
farnboroughrob

Re: Modelling Forum Boost

Post by farnboroughrob »

I thought were were going for both a 1/144 and a airfix starter kit GB running side by side with no time limit. Just need somebody to start up a thread as I have not previously participated in a GB.
Rob

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Oh OK. Maybe I misunderstood the other posts.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

I wanted to post in here over the weekend... We had a massive windstorm Saturday which knocked over 500,000 people including myself into power outage for over 28 hours! There are still people without power as I type this. So posting fast since now I have power but have to run out to work... I'm game for both those builds and I still think having a thread at least with a 'anything goes' other then aircraft would be good. I may have to go back to basics soon any ways.... My air compressor blew a hole in the holding tank! I just finished a 4000 mile plus drive through the SW USA, not to sure if the Mrs.. will allow me to buy a new tank for a bit. :grin: I'm going to tank today to see if a welder can spot fill it. We'll see..... anyways got to run, I'll log back on tonight to see what you guys would like to do and we'll get it sorted.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Ok, so before I take a plunge and purchase a kit, how are we going about the beginners thread? Are we all going to be building the same aircraft?

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Kits purchased today for GB, Airfix Lightning starter set and Amodel HU-16 Albatross 1/144 to go with my 1/144 EC-121. Whats the deal for setting up a GB thread, does it need to be done by the UKAR staff? Would like to get building soon with winter on the way.
Rob

neilos

Post by neilos »

Hannants at Duxford are currently selling a 1:144 Concorde kit, half price..... :smile:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Good to see there is still a flicker of interest. To be honest, I thought the whole GB thing had died.

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

I'll be doing either my A400M Atlas or An-124 for the 1/144 scale one, depends on which one people would like to see?

Cheers,

Tom

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Happy to facilited this one of easier?

Will have a chat with Fumbles and come back to you - might be worth setting something up sooner rather than later

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

TomTwin wrote:I'll be doing either my A400M Atlas or An-124 for the 1/144 scale one, depends on which one people would like to see?

Cheers,

Tom

Would like to see the An-124. Mine has ended up on the shelf of doom due to paint quality issues, and the fact I lack enthusiasm to rub it all down!
Rob

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

If we're going for 1/144th

Decisions -

An-12
An-124
IL-62
IL-76/A-50
IL-86
Tu-134
Tu-154

Sure I have more but off the top of my head that lot to choose from..
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

SvB

Post by SvB »

Count me in for both the 1/144 GB and the starters one. For 1/144 I'd love to do ICM's TU-144 'Concordski'. For the 'starters' one I don't know yet. Are we talking about the kits that come with a brush, paint and glue?

Sven

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Not sure what's happening to the GBs. Support seems to have fizzled out in the three months since I started the thread.

Oh well. I tried. :dunno:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Well, I made a start on one of my 1/72 Gnats over the weekend so I'll be starting a thread soon but as to the GBs... :tumbleweed:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I have both a Airfix starter kit Lightning ready to go and a couple of 1/144's too . I have not been in a GB before so was not sure how to start things off?
Rob

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

DerekF wrote:Not sure what's happening to the GBs. Support seems to have fizzled out in the three months since I started the thread.

Oh well. I tried. :dunno:

How about I start it off, I'm looking to do something for the group build, and need to start it, so I'll take command of it, if there are no objections?

Regards,

Tom

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

Yes, for one person to start the GB, then most likely loads will join in!
Nikon D7100
Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Nikon AF-S Nikon 50mm f/1.8G
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Still on a low modeling ebb at the minute, but im off the next 12 days with only a wee bathroom project to do so this GB might just be what i need!

As an aside, i see there are plenty new posters asking questions in here. Are any of you looking at this thinking of joining in?
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Scampi

Post by Scampi »

Yes, I want in!

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

What were we doing, 1/144th? Got a kit awaiting to be started on the bench..
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Hey guys... sorry for falling a little behind here. James and I have been bouncing PM's back and forth on launching at least the 1/144th build.. Looks like it'll be starting October 15th. Sorry for the very late and very fast reply. I'm late running for work. Get your kits ready!

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Now we have the 1/144 going how about the starter kit GB. This would be a GB for all abilities. Choose a cheap kit like the Airfix Spit and no airbrushes, filler, sanding etc allowed, just what comes in the box. Would love to see how those of more experience would get on with the back to basics approach. Plus it could be a good learning experience for those who may not have modeled for years, if ever.
Rob

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

farnboroughrob wrote:Now we have the 1/144 going how about the starter kit GB. This would be a GB for all abilities. Choose a cheap kit like the Airfix Spit and no airbrushes, filler, sanding etc allowed, just what comes in the box. Would love to see how those of more experience would get on with the back to basics approach. Plus it could be a good learning experience for those who may not have modeled for years, if ever.
Rob

Rob

This was on the agenda as well - hopefully to start very soon so watch this space!!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I'll have a crack at both of them.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

farnboroughrob wrote:Now we have the 1/144 going how about the starter kit GB. This would be a GB for all abilities. Choose a cheap kit like the Airfix Spit and no airbrushes, filler, sanding etc allowed, just what comes in the box. Would love to see how those of more experience would get on with the back to basics approach. Plus it could be a good learning experience for those who may not have modeled for years, if ever.
Rob

I fancy this too - real modelling as I grew up with it - but what is allowed? Brush painting only, or spray cans? Really no sanding? No knife trimming either....? No aftermarket presumably, scratch building? Looking forward to long winter evenings now.

John