cosford on the train

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
craig.mason

cosford on the train

Post by craig.mason »

Has anybody been to cosford airshow on the train just been looking its £45 return from my town to cosford and takes 2 hours 30 mins I am considering it as there are no local daytrips to it this year
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Harvo266

Re: cosford on the train

Post by Harvo266 »

There's normally a wide range of coach trips that go to Cosford, so have a look there
Nikon D500

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I've caught the train before, its a piece of cake, much easier than driving and you can get a ticket that covers entry too
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Has anyone on here caught the train to the show from Birmingham International? It will be my first time getting there by train and was wondering if anyone had any experience of that route?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Pringles wrote:Has anyone on here caught the train to the show from Birmingham International? It will be my first time getting there by train and was wondering if anyone had any experience of that route?

I live 2 stops from International, my tip would be to get into new st & jump on the train direct to Cosford from there, saves the faff of swapping at Wolverhampton
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Domvickery wrote:
Pringles wrote:Has anyone on here caught the train to the show from Birmingham International? It will be my first time getting there by train and was wondering if anyone had any experience of that route?

I live 2 stops from International, my tip would be to get into new st & jump on the train direct to Cosford from there, saves the faff of swapping at Wolverhampton

Many thanks, I may do that instead! :smile:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I have used Woods coaches of Leicester for the last 2 years. Thee is usually a link to coach firms running trips on the airshow website.
The pros are missing the queues getting in and out and a sleep on the way home after an early start; the con is that its a bit of a drive for me to the pickup point.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

Used the train last year from Wolverhampton to Cosford (having come up from London the day before an stayed overnight at the Premier Inn), and then from Cosford back to London (changing at Wolverhampton).

It was nice and easy, I got a train that started at Wolverhampton so had no problems getting a seat on the way out, it did get pretty busy but nobody was left behind.
On arrival, walked straight onto the airfield, a small queue to actually get off the platform, no queue for ticket checks and the walk from the station isn't that long, compared to some of the further flung car parks.

On the way back, we had to queue for about 30mins to actually get onto a train, and then stand in a vestibule back to Wolverhampton, but given the number of people involved, I suppose it was to be expected.

The fact that you get a discount on show admission if you buy it combined with a rail ticket is also a nice touch, something that other shows could do with following to reduce pressure on local roads.

Only problem with the show being on a Sunday is that due to early morning engineering works, it's not always possible to get a train from further afield that arrives before the flying display starts.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

As I've previously said, I've never travelled to this show by train, so am interested to hear about the:
LittleRedTrain wrote:...discount on show admission if you buy it combined with a rail ticket...

However the website says:
We are currently working with our Local Train Operating Companies to provide a discounted joint train and entrance ticket. Details will appear on our By Train page shortly.

Does anyone here have any idea as to when these tickets become available?

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

The ticket price last year was the cost of the train fare, plus, a supplement of £18 for entry to the show, a saving of several quid over the show ticket on its own.
It was only valid if you actually arrived in the showground from the station, so you couldn't change your mind and switch to driving instead.

I'm sure PeterR will provide full details when the ticket becomes available (assuming it happens again this year). I got mine a couple of months in advance, from my local station in London, but I believe they were available up to the day of the show.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Thanks, the website states that train tickets will be on sale soon so I'll look out for that, thanks again everyone for the help and advice! :biggrin:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

The joint air show/rail travel tickets will likely go on sale around March/April. When there's more news on this front I will let you know. :smile:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

PeterR wrote:The joint air show/rail travel tickets will likely go on sale around March/April. When there's more news on this front I will let you know. :smile:

Thanks Peter :up:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

PeterR wrote:The joint air show/rail travel tickets will likely go on sale around March/April. When there's more news on this front I will let you know. :smile:

When are the tickets likely to be available - given the recent additions I'm keen to get sorted!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Pringles wrote:When are the tickets likely to be available - given the recent additions I'm keen to get sorted!

Should now be on sale..! :up:

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

Is anyone else having trouble purchasing the rail/entry combo ticket from their local stations?

My local station continue to deny such ticket exists and even suggest that no station on my local network will sell them.

Jamie.
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Jamie87 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble purchasing the rail/entry combo ticket from their local stations?

My local station continue to deny such ticket exists and even suggest that no station on my local network will sell them.

Jamie.

For me it took 2 trips to different stations, the first one refused to admit that they exist, the second one required a ten minute argument, 2 phone calls to a different station and another 5 minutes of actual ordering. Just tell them that they exist, and that they are available from all manned stations, it may take several protracted phone calls to head office or something but hopefully the show will be worth it. Pm me if you have any questions and I'll do what I can to help, although it may be a case of trying your luck with who's on the desk and what their IQ is! :facepalm:

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

Pringles wrote:
Jamie87 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble purchasing the rail/entry combo ticket from their local stations?

Jamie.

For me it took 2 trips to different stations, the first one refused to admit that they exist, the second one required a ten minute argument, 2 phone calls to a different station and another 5 minutes of actual ordering. Just tell them that they exist, and that they are available from all manned stations, it may take several protracted phone calls to head office or something but hopefully the show will be worth it. Pm me if you have any questions and I'll do what I can to help, although it may be a case of trying your luck with who's on the desk and what their IQ is! :facepalm:

Thanks for the heads up.

I have asked 3 separate people at my station now. The one today suggested that I don't take the train full stop and just drive. What an ambassador for Merseyrail he was!

I e-mailed the team at Cosford last week and they sent me a response explaining how to sell the ticket so that I could tell the guy at the station. He was having none of it. Told me to message Merseyrails head office.

Not great service at all.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

If you're having trouble and are at a train station in normal office hours, give the Air Show Office a ring. We have the retail brief so we can explain to the rail staff how to sell the ticket. They are on the system and can be purchased anywhere, despite what some rail staff are apparently saying...

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

Pringles wrote:

Jamie.

Problems like this coupled with poorly briefed staff,and extortionate costs of rail travel in general,are the very reasons I don't use trains.
The exception being my local Heritage Railway,the Great Central.

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

Tickets Purchased!

It took a call to Merseyrail head office to sort it!

Does anybody know when the train timetables are released?

Many thanks.

Jamie

Jay

Post by Jay »

Got my ticket, easy enough, just get a standard train ticket to Cosford then ask for a ticket for Cosford airshow. I'm travelling up from near Southampton the day before, staying overnight in Wolverhampton then getting the earliest train to Cosford, this is my first time to Cosford airshow and I am excited! The Skyraider is the main attraction for me, I mainly only go to shows to see types I have not seen before and the Skyraider plus the Whirlwind are new ones for me! Looking forward to the Tornado as well!

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

I am glad that you have revived this thread.
Once again Merseyrail are denying that such ticket exists despite me showing them this thread and how I booked my tickets last year.
Anyone else having trouble?

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

This happens every year!! You would think that they would have it sorted by now!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

harkins

Post by harkins »

I'm planning on going to Cosford this year; not been since about 1992.

Having heard that it's not a lot of fun by car, I was planning on going by train (as I did all those years ago) but I have some concerns. Firstly, as I expect that demand will be pretty high this year, is there any risk it sells out before the train/airshow ticket deal is available? I guess I can just buy a ticket anyway. The other thing is, having checked for this Sunday, I wouldn't get to Cosford until 11am. I assume at this time that I will not have a prayer of getting a spot at the front will I?

Finally, kind of related, but in order to get the best of the static photography, is it best to get there as fast as you can, or is it better to wait till everyone is going home?