Nikon D500

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
BDL

Nikon D500

Post by BDL »

Just announced - Touch screen, around 10 FPS and up to 200 continuous in RAW? Better get saving!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Nikon D500

Post by boff180 »

20.9mp

The key will be image quality compared to the 24mp D7200 which in all honesty is a touch noisy!

Time to start saving!

BDL

Post by BDL »

boff180 wrote:20.9mp

The key will be image quality compared to the 24mp D7200 which in all honesty is a touch noisy!

Time to start saving!

US price is $1995! So well over £1300 here then!

yf23blackwidow

Post by yf23blackwidow »

From nikonrumors,com

The Highly Anticipated Resurrection of the DX-Format Flagship Gives Photographers the Best Combination of Speed, Reach and Connectivity
LAS VEGAS, NV – Today, Nikon Inc. announced the D500, a DX-format DSLR with pro-level features that gives photographers nimble handling, speed and extreme processing power in a compact and lightweight body. With amazing imaging capability, robust build quality and lightning fast performance, the D500 is sure to satisfy as the highly sought-after successor to the venerable D300S. Like its sibling the D5, the D500 benefits from Nikon’s latest technological innovations such as the totally new, blazing-fast Multi-CAM 20K 153-point AF system and 4K UHD video capture, yet adds a fun new way to share photos with Nikon SnapBridge built-in.“Nikon has answered the call from photographers to once again re-invent this camera category and offer an unmatched combination of performance and value that is hard for any photographer to resist,” said Masahiro Horie, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc. “When paired with the amazing imaging capabilities of legendary NIKKOR optics, photographers can capture intimate portraits, mind-blowing macros or action from extreme distances– the possibilities are endless.”
Pro-Level Image Quality, DX-Format Versatility

The D500 imagines the best of both worlds, offering advanced enthusiasts and pro photographers all the benefits of DX-format, such as smaller form-factor and lens crop, combined with many of the same advanced pro features found in the new Nikon D5. The new Nikon D500 features an all-new 20.9-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor that renders images with outstanding colors and gorgeous tonality. This new sensor is coupled with Nikon’s new EXPEED 5 image processing engine, affording low noise and maximum processing power with a surprisingly small footprint and superbly balanced body.

The benefits of the DX-format are evident for long-distance applications like wildlife and sports photography, where telephoto ability is at a premium and weight reduction is welcome. With Nikon’s legendary FX or smaller-sized DX-format NIKKOR lenses, the sleek D500 is the ideal companion for wanderlust. When mated with the new AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens, the D500 offers a remarkable 350-750mm equivalent focal range for a lightweight, yet super-telephoto duo.

Because amazing images can happen even when the sun goes down, the D500 is capable of excellent low-light performance, with an ISO range of 100-51,200, expandable to 50-1,640,000 equivalent. From low-light cityscapes to action sports under the lights, the D500 is ready to tackle any imaging challenge.

Performance Meets Portability

Within the streamlined body of the D500 is a formidable processing powerhouse. Whether photographing sideline sports for the home team or animals in exotic destinations, a super-fast 10 frames-per-second (fps) burst speed with full AF and AE will help nail nearly any shot. This extreme speed lets users capture every fleeting moment in exceptional clarity, while a generous buffer allows for up to 79 shots (14-bit, uncompressed RAW/NEF) to be captured, so the moment won’t be missed.

To keep pace with the action, the D500 is fitted with the same AF system as the Nikon D5, the Multi-CAM 20K AF sensor module, with a separate dedicated processor for AF function. On the D500’s DX format sensor, the 153-point AF array fills the frame from side to side, letting users flawlessly track and lock-onto subjects from the edges of the viewfinder. Like the D5, the D500 utilizes the new 180K RGB Metering system and Advanced Scene Recognition System to help ensure balanced exposures and fantastic color rendition in nearly any shooting situation.

Controls and Rugged Construction Worthy of a Flagship

The D500 features an enhanced level of robust build quality, offering the same amount of rugged weather sealing as the Nikon D810. The durable body is a monocoque structure composed of magnesium alloy for the top and rear, while the front is reinforced with lightweight carbon fiber. The shutter mechanism has been tested for 200K actuations, helping to ensure maximum endurance. For further durability, the D500 excludes a pop-up flash, yet is compatible with Nikon’s newest radio frequency capable flash, the SB-5000 Speedlight (with optional WR-R10 & WR-A10)1.

It’s easy to compose and view images on the D500’s bright 3.2-inch, high resolution (2359K-dot) touchscreen LCD, which lets users interact with photos in playback, control the camera and operate menus. When mounted on a tripod or shooting from creative angles, landscape and event shooters will appreciate the reinforced tilting LCD screen, similar to that of the Nikon D750. Additionally, images are rapidly written to either a fast XQD card slot or to the additional SD card slot for maximum workflow efficiency.

Constant Connectivity with the New Nikon SnapBridge

The D500 marshals in a new way to share photos wirelessly with the new Nikon SnapBridge, making the camera’s built-in connectivity easier to use than ever before. SnapBridge allows for Bluetooth2supported connection between your camera and compatible smart device, thus making automatic upload of your images possible. Once enabled, the camera stays connected to the smart device and transfers photos, eliminating the need to re-connect devices. Those looking to share images from their travels or from the field can also tag images for transfer in camera and can password protect their connection for added security. As an added benefit, the D500’s built-in Near Field Communication (NFC)3 capability easily connects the camera to a compatible smart device with just a tap, while built-in Wi-Fi3 capability allows for faster wireless image transfer.

For those looking for an even faster transfer solution, the D500 is also compatible with the new optional WT-7A Wireless Transmitter, enabling wired or wireless transmission of files to an FTP server or computer at faster speeds.

Advanced Video Features

Just like the D5, the D500 has the ability to capture striking 4K UHD video at up to 30p (3840x2160), as well as Full HD (1080p) video at a variety of frame rates. Ready for any production, the camera sports a host of pro video features derived from the D810, including uncompressed HDMI output and Picture Controls, but adds even more great features. These pro-level creative video features include the ability to create 4K time-lapse movies in-camera, Auto ISO smoothing to provide fluid transitions in exposure during recording, and the capability to record 4K UHD video to the card and output to HDMI simultaneously. When capturing 1080p Full HD content, the camera also has a new 3-axis electronic VR feature that can be activated regardless of the lens being used. Challenging video exposures are no problem for the D500, as it also adds in Active D-Lighting to Full HD video to balance exposure values within a scene to help prevent blown-out highlights

Price and Availability

The new Nikon D500 DSLR will be available in March 2016 for a suggested retail price (SRP) of $1,999.95* for the body-only configuration. A kit will also be available, bundled with the versatile AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR lens, for the SRP of $3,069.95*. The MB-D17-battery pack will also be available in March 2016 for the SRP of $449.95* and will add extended battery life and facilitate vertical shooting. The WT-7A Wireless Transmitter will be available in March 2016, for the SRP of $934.95*. For more information on these new Nikon products, please visit http://www.nikonusa.com.

yf23blackwidow

Post by yf23blackwidow »

The part i like the most.

When mated with the new AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens, the D500 offers a remarkable 350-750mm equivalent focal range for a lightweight, yet super-telephoto duo. :cool:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Add it to the Sigma/Tamron 150-600's and you get a 225 to 900mm :hypno:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Yarooooooooooooo!!!! :yahoo: :rock: :cool:

Thank goodness they've finally done the right thing and replaced the 300. And equally thank goodness I didn't buy a 7200!

March is going to be a hooringly expensive month... :shock:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

yf23blackwidow

Post by yf23blackwidow »

My only worry is price. with current exchange rates I think we could be looking at £1500-£1600 for the body alone and £300-£350 for the battery pack! And then you need to think about the memory cards. Which won't be cf.

yf23blackwidow

Post by yf23blackwidow »

Wexphotographic have it up for pre order. £1729. Just the body!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

yf23blackwidow wrote:Wexphotographic have it up for pre order. £1729. Just the body!

Oooft.

Anyone looking for a kidney? One relatively careful owner, will deliver to anywhere within mainland UK, can also pre-wrap if it's a gift...
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

BDL

Post by BDL »

yf23blackwidow wrote:Wexphotographic have it up for pre order. £1729. Just the body!

OUCH!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Just had an e-mail from Calumet Photographic also advertised at £1729.00 or £144.09 per month with 12 months interest free credit.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

I have been looking forward to this for a while now so it will be interesting to see how it gets on in the early stages. Been wondering when it was due to be released; 6 years to replace the D300S is a long time, but I'm looking to get a second camera body, so my D7100 could become the back up when the D500 is purchased.

Having spoken with TomTwin earlier, we both agreed it was a little steep in price considering how much it is in America. But these are to be expected, especially giving other factors such as import tax etc.

Just realised that it's my birthday in March as well...

Jack.

yf23blackwidow

Post by yf23blackwidow »

So after having far too much spare time at work today, I did the sums.....

The d500 = £1729
Battery grip = £350 approx (could only find a price in U.S$
XQD memory card = £100-£400 (depending on size and speed)
XQD memory card reader = £49
An extra battery for the battery grip = £59
And we have reached £2287-£2587 depending on memory card.
But wait why not get the new nikon 200mm-500mm lens which must have been made with the d500 in mind! £1179

That brings the total to a minimum of £3466. Oh dear! :lmao:

I feel the need to lie down. :dizzy: Please nobody tell my Mrs! :mad:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Just as well you don't fancy the new D5 , then :lol:
( And who the hek is going to shoot at ISO 1,640,000 - ISO 3,280,000 for the D5 - anyway ?? :shock: )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Black Mike

Post by Black Mike »

£1729 pre-order, and I thought the 7D2 was expensive!! :hypno:
I thought the 200-500 would be a 300-750 not 350-750 as in the hype...

yf23blackwidow

Post by yf23blackwidow »

( And who the hek is going to shoot at ISO 1,640,000 - ISO 3,280,000 for the D5 - anyway ?? :shock: )[/quote]

For the British summer?!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Brevet Cable wrote:Just as well you don't fancy the new D5 , then :lol:
( And who the hek is going to shoot at ISO 1,640,000 - ISO 3,280,000 for the D5 - anyway ?? :shock: )

Must admit that was my initial reaction as well. Who's this camera aimed at - folk who might want to shoot the interior of a black hole!?

st24

Post by st24 »

Skyflash wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Just as well you don't fancy the new D5 , then :lol:

Must admit that was my initial reaction as well. Who's this camera aimed at - folk who might want to shoot the interior of a black hole!?

Given the current maniacal fascination on here with nightshoots I think it makes perfect sense.. :up: :ninja:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:Just realised that it's my birthday in March as well...Jack.

Mine too! Think I'll soldier on with the D300s for a while though, wait for a few reviews on the D500 to come out, is it really going to be that much better to warrant such a large expense?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

Give it few months after launch and the options for cheaper will be out there, it may be possible to get one around 12/13 hundred mark then, Initialy I was excited with this body, but I don't want / need video, I will miss the pop up flash, articulated screen is handy as is the 20mp and good raw buffer, but not sure I would pay the current prices, would want / need battery pack as well, and the cards look pricey?

Currently use D300 and get good results

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I don't want or need video either, but I wouldn't miss the pop-up flash. Don't use flash that much, but when I do I prefer to use my speed light.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

AlexC wrote:I don't want or need video either, but I wouldn't miss the pop-up flash. Don't use flash that much, but when I do I prefer to use my speed light.
I have a SB-600, but there are times when I have just the body lens with me a bit of in built light is handy

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

BMrider wrote:I have a SB-600.

So have I!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Mine has now arrived, courtesy of the excellent people at Wex Photographic and their generous 0% finance over 12 months offer.

Initial reactions are very positive. It feels every bit as robust as the D300, which was basically built to withstand nuclear attack, the menus have been sorted out and are a bit more intuitive, and the tilting, rotating viewscreen which 'spools' out of the back of the camera is a nice touch and will make it slightly easier to review photos on sunny days.

The biggest impression thus far though, based on the admittedly limited number of shots I have taken, is ISO performance. Dear Christ on a tricycle, they weren't kidding in the promotional blurb. This thing is noiseless - and I mean noiseless - at ISO1000, truly breathtaking performance. I shot a few images of a swan with its cygnets on the river next to my flat, horrible cloudy day, shot aimed well below the horizon, ISO set to 1000 to give a reasonable shutter speed... and the image quality given the circumstances is stunning.

I think I'm going to have some fun with this beast. Particularly when I pair it up with an iPad and start bluetoothing images directly to a photo-editor.

:smile: