Duxford 2016 Air Shows

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
eddywinch82

Re: Duxford 2016 Air Shows

Post by eddywinch82 »

Hi There,

Does anyone on this forum know if tickets for the May Airshow, have gone on sale online yet?
I would like to purchase tickets for both days you see. Any info would be appreciated.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

From the last page of this thread, so assume the answer is yes..if not will be very soon if there has been a delay.

AJC wrote:Tickets for the May Airshow will go on sale, online, from 1st February.

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-duxfor ... n-air-show

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere yet, but you now have to pay £5 to park too. Doesn't look like this applies to Flying Legends though?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

They'll be charging you to use the bogs soon.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Just got in and have an e mail from IWMD tickets now on Sale for The American and Flying Legends Airshows.

This the link https://www.maximweb.net/iwm_ui_list/tickets/

The prices showing are for Saturday and the Weekend if you select Saturday, or Sunday only if selecting the 29th - had me foxed for a little while. :dizzy:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Car parking charges? On top of the standard ticket price that's me out. Bye Duxford!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

Jesus wept. Are peope aware of what else is going on at the moment!? Engage brain...

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

HuwJHopkins wrote:Jesus wept. Are peope aware of what else is going on at the moment!? Engage brain...

I have engaged my brain. I'll put my hard earned cash into supporting other, in my view, more deserving shows. Abingdon, East Kirkby, Shoreham should it return etc.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Booked.
Registering to get the heads up is a good idea.
Just hope the weather is better this May.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

I have a feeling that the naughty fields might be a bit busier this year...

Hopefully the extra money raised will be to pay for extra marshals (doubt it) otherwise I can't see what this is for other than a simple money grabbing exercise.

If it were to pay for the extra CAA fees then they should be open and just say so...

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Stop and think for a moment...

The crowd limiting factor at Duxford is car parking space. Up until now the IWM have had no idea, beyond an educated guess, of how many cars are going to show up. If they sell 20,000 tickets that might be 20,000 cars or it might be 5000 cars. How might they be able to more accurately determine car numbers?...

Douglas Bader Mouse

Post by Douglas Bader Mouse »

Parking fees have been spoken about for years in the industry.

to my knowledge only the RAF's one-off svent at Abingdon in 2007 tried it, but that was such a disaster its hard to say if parking prices were a reason behind it flopping

remember when we switched the all ticket and most other venues followed? unless Duxford fail completely you will see parking fees creeping it at most major venues, where one goes the rest will follow if it makes money

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Regardless of their reasoning, it certainly isn't a move which is going to improve customer satisfaction; especially if it is a way of cramming more people on site. Never known a venue be so funny about people coming by car - the endless signs along the M11 encouraging Park & Ride as an example.

Maybe it would be more of an incentive were discounted tickets available for those who use Park & Ride?

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Just curious as to why they're charging for the May show and not Legends? Whats the difference? :dunno:
...Rad shutters auto.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

DaveBr wrote:Stop and think for a moment...

The crowd limiting factor at Duxford is car parking space. Up until now the IWM have had no idea, beyond an educated guess, of how many cars are going to show up. If they sell 20,000 tickets that might be 20,000 cars or it might be 5000 cars. How might they be able to more accurately determine car numbers?...

By asking/forcing you to apply for a free car parking pass, or state at the ordering stage how you intend to arrive.

You don't need to charge £5 a car to estimate numbers.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

keithjs wrote:Just curious as to why they're charging for the May show and not Legends? Whats the difference? :dunno:

Legends isn't a Museum air show. It's organised and put on by The Fighter Collection.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Ah, thanks Brian. :up: I wondered if that may be the case.... So that implies there'll be a charge for the September show then? Still seems a bit strange tho' seeing as all the same facilities and parking areas are being used...hey ho' not to worry. Thanks again.
...Rad shutters auto.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

iwm.org.uk

IWM Duxford Air Show Notice

Tickets and Changes
Changes to 2016 Air Shows at IWM Duxford

After the sell-out success of last September’s Air Show we are pleased to announce that tickets are now on sale for IWM Duxford’s May Air Show as well as the Flying Legends Air Show, organised by the Fighter Collection and held at IWM Duxford. After new guidelines were introduced regarding Air Shows in September last year, IWM has worked alongside the various agencies and authorities to put in place a number of measures for all of our Air shows held at IWM Duxford. These measures are being introduced for safety reasonsand also to help improve our visitors’ experiences on the day, following feedback.

In 2015, we introduced advance ticketing only, to help us manage and plan for the best visitor experience possible, as well helping us to work effectively with Highways England (formerly the Highways Agency) and local authorities on managing the number of people travelling to and from IWM Duxford.

We’ve continued our work with Highways England, the Police, AA and Civil Aviation Authority to do all that we can to minimise the traffic on the road and congestion on the M11, A505 and surrounding roads on theapproach to IWM Duxford. This is important for both visitors to the Air Shows at IWM Duxford as well as local residents. We also hope to minimise the time it takes visitors to enter and exit the car parks which we know has been a source of frustration in the past. In addition queues or slow moving traffic on the M11 or A505 introduce a new safety risk and may now result in the Air Show being paused or stopped altogether therefore we need to minimise the possibility of this occurring.

Once again we encourage people to consider travelling by public transport to IWM Duxford or to take advantage of the various park-and-ride options available. There are public transport alternatives and you can find out more about these in our Planning Your Air Show Visit FAQ’s on the IWM website.

To support the management of traffic and to provide an improved experience for all our visitors, there is now a limit on car parking places available for the Air Show so everybody wishing to travel by car to an Air Show will now need to book a car parking ticket in advance. Car parking spaces are limited and subject to availability, so if you will be travelling by car we strongly advise you to book your car park ing ticket early along with your Air Show tickets. In order to reflect the increased costs of event and traffic management we have introduced a £5 per car charge for the car parking at IWM Duxford’s Air Shows. Like the Air Show tickets, car parking tickets must be purchased in advance. This money will help support IWM in implementing the new safety measures and in providing additional staff in and around the site to make our visitors’ experience of the day as pleasurable as possible.

To find out more about IWM Duxford Air Show tickets, you can visit our Air Show Tickets FAQ’s on the website.

The cost of parking will be included in the higher cost of tickets for Flying Legends, the Air Show organised and produced by The Fighter Collection and held at IWM Duxford. However, car parking tickets will still need to be obtained when booking for Flying Legends and there are still a limited number of spaces. The Fighter Collection are supporting IWM Duxford with the additional safety and improvement costs.

At the end of each of the Air Shows, there will also now be greater opportunity to continue to experience some of the exhibitions around IWM Duxford, including the newly transformed American Air Museum (opening on 19 March). We hope that this will encourage visitors to stagger the times at which they leave, which will help to manage some of the inevitable traffic congestion on the A505 and minimise the waiting time in car parks after the Air Show. I hope that our visitors will understand and appreciate the reasons behind the changes we have made.

The whole of IWM Duxford, including all of our exhibitions, is open on air show days and it’s all included in your admission ticket price. Even without 3-and a-half-hours of flying to enjoy, our museum offers a full day out for the family with lots of things to see and do. You can explore our impressive exhibitions, let off steam in the museum’s green open spaces or our playground, Activity Zone, enjoy a visit to our restaurant and cafes or one of the many concessions and stalls on site, all before the flying starts.

IWM Duxford was built by the Royal Air Force in 1918 to help defend and protect Britain and played a major role during the Second World War in the Battle of Britain. In 1943, the airfield was handed over to the United States 8th Air Force and became the headquarters of the 78th Fighter Group who provided air cover to the Allied Forces on D-Day. Duxford’s history, buildings, working airfield and the stories they all tell are so important that the site is now looked after by Imperial War Museums.Today, IWM Duxford welcomes around half a million visitors a year and over 60,000 children through education programmes. Everybody who buys a ticket to an IWM Duxford Air show, everybody who visits throughout the year and everybody who becomes an IWM Friend is actively contributing to the continued care and ongoing conservation of this wonderful centre of British Aviation History and the wider work of IWM.

Thank you for your on-going support.
Graeme Etheridge
Interim Executive Director
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

So that suggests that the car parks will be smaller this year in an attempt to get more people to use public transport.

Surely another good things for them to do would be to close the museum later on show days, thus allowing people to leave slower after having a look round, therefore staggering the amount of traffic all trying to leave at the same time?

Perhaps even reopening a section of the flight line at the end of the day to get some evening light on the flying participants?

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

WG655 wrote:
Maybe it would be more of an incentive were discounted tickets available for those who use Park & Ride?

Having used Trumpington before, the ease is sufficient incentive, I think.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

If all the nonsense on social media is to be believed there will be hardly anyone attending this year's Duxford airshows. I'm happy to pay an extra fiver for all the extra space I'm going to have...

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

DaveBr wrote:If all the nonsense on social media is to be believed there will be hardly anyone attending this year's Duxford airshows. I'm happy to pay an extra fiver for all the extra space I'm going to have...

Me too.... :heyhey:
...Rad shutters auto.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Chrisse wrote:
WG655 wrote:

Having used Trumpington before, the ease is sufficient incentive, I think.

Having never used it, what's the normal cost for the Park and Ride to Duxford on an airshow day?

I think Legends will probably be my only Duxford show this year unless they get a star item, as it's getting a little too expensive for a 3.5 hour display!